Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I mention in the video description in the video link I will add to this post, I have no idea what the issue is with my engine. It's been making this ticking noise for a very long time, gotten much worse lately and there seems to be no definitive answer on what causes this noise. I have seen much discussion and even a class action lawsuit against Kia in Canada in regards to this problem. I just wanted to share this video, at this point I'm out of idea's and beginning to care less and less, the car has 401,xxx KM on it.

YouTube Link:
Engine Ticking

·
Super Moderator
202 Posts
Well, 401,000KM on the engine, it's not that bad. Some people get that noise a lot earlier.

Have you done a fresh oil change and used a quality filter? (eg: OEM, Mobil1, etc). Have you tried running a fuel injector cleaner through it? Does it still perform well and get expected gas mileage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, 401,000KM on the engine, it's not that bad. Some people get that noise a lot earlier.

Have you done a fresh oil change and used a quality filter? (eg: OEM, Mobil1, etc). Have you tried running a fuel injector cleaner through it? Does it still perform well and get expected gas mileage?
I have done all of the recommended here. The car seems to have the same power/fuel efficiency as I've always known it to have, and I've owned it since day 1. I know it's not too bad considering the engine has that many KM on it but the CAUSE of the problem is driving me more crazy than the problem itself. How is this problem so widespread but there is no definitive answer/cause on this issue?

The only other issue I can mention that has happened lately is sometimes when I'm leaving my house I'll get going on the road, and I start shifting to gain speed and then it suddenly won't rev above 3000rpm? If I turn the car off and restart it then the issue goes away. I've noticed it start happening while driving at highway speeds on cruise control. Car just cuts off cruise, revs go down to 3000, and I have to shift up to maintain speed and keep the engine speed below 3000rpm so I can pull over and restart the car again. Again, I know this car has almost half a million KM on it so I can't be too surprised it has issues.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's not clear from what you wrote if you do auto work. REVs are being limited, so there is definitely something going on with your vehicle, but if you don't DIY then there's nothing anyone here can do to help. Posting a bunch of possible suspects is just a waste of everyone's time, because what's needed is hands-on diagnostic testing.

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT
15 Posts
could it be a tappet ticking as it hits the arm. Not sure if this car has that as i'm not a mechanic, but I know this is a fairly cheap part that tends to get clogged up over time and instead of trying to figure out which one it is, they usually just replace all of them as they have the head opened up. best of luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not clear from what you wrote if you do auto work. REVs are being limited, so there is definitely something going on with your vehicle, but if you don't DIY then there's nothing anyone here can do to help. Posting a bunch of possible suspects is just a waste of everyone's time, because what's needed is hands-on diagnostic testing.
I normally do my own work but I just moved and am not in a position to access my tools/do any diagnostic testing. Not even looking for an answer on the rev limiting so much as I was wondering if anyone has actually figured out what the ticking noise is caused by since it's such a widespread issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sound like carbon deposits on the valves to me. Try a bottle or two of Techron Fuel System Cleaner. Even if it doesn't work for that, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
He's got a video man. In the first post at the very bottom there's a link to youtube. It's in red print. I almost missed it the first time I read this too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I mention in the video description in the video link I will add to this post, I have no idea what the issue is with my engine. It's been making this ticking noise for a very long time, gotten much worse lately and there seems to be no definitive answer on what causes this noise. I have seen much discussion and even a class action lawsuit against Kia in Canada in regards to this problem. I just wanted to share this video, at this point I'm out of idea's and beginning to care less and less, the car has 401,xxx KM on it.

YouTube Link:
Engine Ticking
How's the oil ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
...I have no idea what the issue is with my engine. It's been making this ticking noise for a very long time, gotten much worse lately and there seems to be no definitive answer on what causes this noise.
YouTube Link: Engine Ticking
... but the CAUSE of the problem is driving me more crazy than the problem itself. How is this problem so widespread but there is no definitive answer/cause on this issue?
... I was wondering if anyone has actually figured out what the ticking noise is caused by since it's such a widespread issue.
So you're wondering what could have caused your engine ticking sound?
I think I found the CAUSE:
I will admit I rarely used a Kia filter and sometimes I would let the change interval go quite a bit further than recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you're wondering what could have caused your engine ticking sound?
I think I found the CAUSE:
Well thats all well and good for MY car, but what about the hundreds of cases of this happening where people's maintenance records are near perfect? It's a very common issue with these engines and it's hilarious that still nobody knows what causes it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well thats all well and good for MY car, but what about the hundreds of cases of this happening where people's maintenance records are near perfect? It's a very common issue with these engines and it's hilarious that still nobody knows what causes it.
I'll bet many of those "hundreds of cases of this happening where people's maintenance records are near perfect" are not nearly as perfect as those people claim.

In the other "High Mileage Fortes" thread you claim:
As far as maintenance:
  • Regular oil changes (I have let the change interval pass quite a few times)
And then go on to say you didn't use Kia filters and and let the intervals lapse longer than you should. I'm sure others have as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll bet many of those "hundreds of cases of this happening where people's maintenance records are near perfect" are not nearly as perfect as those people claim.
Hmm yes very possible, even if I screwed my engine and they did theirs - it drives me mad that there is no definitive answer on the cause of this "ticking". I've gotten "oh its your crankshaft position sensor" (yeah right), it's rod knock, it's valve noise, it's piston slap, it's this, it's that. Maddening I tell you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've gotten "oh its your crankshaft position sensor" (yeah right), it's rod knock, it's valve noise, it's piston slap, it's this, it's that. Maddening I tell you.
I agree. That's gotta be frustrating. Sorry you're going through it. It sucks

·
Registered
335 Posts
He's got a video man. In the first post at the very bottom there's a link to youtube. It's in red print. I almost missed it the first time I read this too.
I missed the link. Thanks for letting me know.

Saw the video. Damn, sh*t & 🤬. I hate turning on my 2010 kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT to just even keep the fluids moving.

I know my car is just a car & materialistic item, but it's not f*cking cheap even if it's a Kia. I hate & despise the feeling of "is this gonna be the day, please don't please don't. Last me several more yrs. I take care of you better than my own family."

Dang, that just flat out sucks. If I traded in my Kia Forte even before if it ever developed the OEM/factory deadly ticking grenade engine syndrome the dealerships wouldn't give me but a few hundreds cause they know about Kia/Hyundai engines failures. It would go straight to the crusher.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you be more specific? It's clean, and at the proper level. I will admit I rarely used a Kia filter and sometimes I would let the change interval go quite a bit further than recommended.
Well the filters wouldn't cause that noise. I had my own issues with cat.converter going bad. I hear a slight ticking in my car when I first start it up .
Take it to a independent mechanic. Dealers are too expensive

1 - 20 of 22 Posts