Kia Forte Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a 2017 Kia Forte transmission and engine fail two months apart from each other?

I'm giving it back to the bank!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
154,000+

I am the original owner.

The check engine light never came on and I never knew I was burning oil, until it was too late.

·
Registered
108 Posts
154,000+

I am the original owner.

The check engine light never came on and I never knew I was burning oil, until it was too late.
I like my Kia Forte, mine is a ‘15; no oil pressure gauge makes it impossible to monitor engine! No volt meter as well. Just clowning around with the photo. I’m going to install a few gauges on my ride before I do any performance or body upgrades. Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Your ride should still be under warranty, prove to dealership that the ( I call it) idiot light was not functional! Full gauge packages should be included in the Forte lineup. I owned a 1995 GMC Sonoma, full gauge package on a base model; were in the ‘21st. century what’s with the cheapness from Kia?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I think the owners manual says to check the engine oil level every 500 miles... as a good habit check it each fuel refill.
I guess lack of maintenance is not an excuse, is it?

But let's just say - you would only go from oil change to oil change. With 150k miles we are talking about 30k a year that is 4 oil changes. How many did you do per year? Was it KIA place?
If your car was really burning oil, you should see some signs - smoking, smell, oil deposits in the back, lots of smoke in the morning start, and very black tailpipe.

I cannot find any situation that would could burn 3 liters of oil and not notice that. I also cannot explain why you would never check the level despite being asked to do so.

If both engine and transmission failed - seeing how you treated the engine, I only wonder what else was happening to the car.

And there is no check engine light for low oil level or low pressure. It is only for "no pressure", so when you see it come on when driving - that is too late.
The temp gauge used to fluctuate between 80 C and 100 C, but people were complaining that the engine is overheating, so the manufacturers decided to... make it idiot proof and now the gauge is stuck for any temp between 75 C and 110 C - so you will not notice any overheating until it might be too late. Just like oil pressure.

Finally, engine does not overheat from low oil level. What you can do it to seize it up, but not really overheat.
Overall - those are confusing messages.

Before you start arguing about car should be fine - no, it does not necessarily have to be OK for 200k miles. Sometimes small things happen and that is why proper maintenance can prevent major failures.
Your problem could be as simple as... stuck PCV. If the valve is not working correctly, suddenly you can start burning oil. But again - smoke is the first symptom followed by smell and oil deposits on the back of the car.
Cars do require regular maintenance. Nowadays, to much lesser extent than years ago, but still. And some parts must be replaced at the scheduled time, because if they fail - much bigger issues happen.
Like the case here - PCV. Or timing belt, or ATF, or air filter...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I last got my oil changed in December. I didn't think I was overdue to the point of destruction.

I smelled something burning, but thought it was other people's cars or just the city environment. I own that screw up.

I usually take my car to Jiffy Lube for maintenance. I have been pretty good about it, approximately every 5,000 miles.

As for my transmission and engine failing without any warning sensors that there is something wrong, I find that unacceptable!

In fact, there was one time I noticed a burning odor and because I didn't see any lights on in my dash, I thought that it was something outside.

The scent was never persistent.

Anyway, you want to defend the Kia Forte, go ahead.

Want to blame me? Go ahead!

I don't give a @#$% and I will NEVER buy a brand new Kia again!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Want to blame me? Go ahead!

Man, with poor maintenance you can trash any car, Audi, BMW, MB, KIA, GM... you name it.
You see signs but fail to investigate. And you never check oil level. Had you checked it once a month, you would know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hindsight, yes you are right.

But why do I need to be worried about a 2017 car burning oil-- especially when I am getting my oil changed on a consistent basis?

Jiffy Lube never told me there was anything wrong.

And the car never told me there was anything wrong via warning lights.

Living in the city, I smell stuff all the time!

Yes, you are right. I could have avoided this catastrophe had I just checked my oil.

However, I understand my actions and thought processes as well.

I own some of this, but without warning my transmission and engine fails?

I am justified in being angry!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. At work and thinking about this.

I own the lion share of this.

Still done with Kia.

Definitely learned a hard, inconvenient, and expensive lesson.

Thanks.

Gonna disappear now...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok. At work and thinking about this.

I own the lion share of this.

Still done with Kia.

Definitely learned a hard, inconvenient, and expensive lesson.

Thanks.

Gonna disappear now...
Still like to see full gauge package... good way to visibly see what is going on.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I usually take my car to Jiffy Lube for maintenance.
^^^ I think we found the problem.

Good. No Kia deserves to be treated as poorly as you treated your car. Learn how to maintain a car properly and stop blaming everyone but yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The dude already said he was at fault!
If he’s out of a Kia, that just leaves more Kia’s for us!! I have two neighbour’s that dump on me for owning a Kia, always putting the brand down; one always talks about how the cars have all kinds of issues; mainly because he didn’t do the proper service to it. He drives a Caravan, doesn’t do maintenance on that either; now his van is turning into a pile. Hardly wash’s it in the winter, rust is starting to rear its ugly head upon the body. Ever seen where Dodge puts the battery on those units? It’s buried way down low at floor level, impossible to give it a jump start in the winter. Your right NovaResearce, proper maintenance and the dude would still have a great car. Personally I think that Kia should have a full gauge package in all their lineups! From the Rio and all the way up! 🤔

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I own some of this, but without warning my transmission and engine fails?
I am justified in being angry!
I completely understand your frustration. It is annoying as hell. Is it purely your fault? Is it the oil change place? Wrong oil filter? Bad oil grade?
Hard to say now... you may still try KIA and their good will repair (you pay some % of the repair out of pocket).

Still like to see full gauge package... good way to visibly see what is going on.
Me too. But I know those days are gone.
Cars are idiot proof. You can get some gauges in Focus RS, maybe in GTI. In "normal" commuters - never. Those are... commuters that move from place A to place B.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If he’s out of a Kia, that just leaves more Kia’s for us!! I have two neighbour’s that dump on me for owning a Kia, always putting the brand down; one always talks about how the cars have all kinds of issues; mainly because he didn’t do the proper service to it. He drives a Caravan, doesn’t do maintenance on that either; now his van is turning into a pile. Hardly wash’s it in the winter, rust is starting to rear its ugly head upon the body. Ever seen where Dodge puts the battery on those units? It’s buried way down low at floor level, impossible to give it a jump start in the winter. Your right NovaResearce, proper maintenance and the dude would still have a great car. Personally I think that Kia should have a full gauge package in all their lineups! From the Rio and all the way up! 🤔
⚠ Warning to all that go to oil change shops, most of the pit monkeys that change the oil in your vehicles are not mechanics! They have basic knowledge and training of vehicles, perhaps the thread starter had a supposed oil technician under fill his vehicle with the improper amount of oil; causing it to have a catastrophic engine failure. Just another reason to bring your ride to a QUALIFIED, CERTIFIED, KIA TECHNICIAN! My grandmother’s van almost seized from a improper oil change, good thing that I checked it out after the oil change was done; had to add 3 litres of oil to it! Sorry that I miss spelled your name NovaResource in the last post. 😎

·
Registered
108 Posts
⚠ Warning to all that go to oil change shops, most of the pit monkeys that change the oil in your vehicles are not mechanics! They have basic knowledge and training of vehicles, perhaps the thread starter had a supposed oil technician under fill his vehicle with the improper amount of oil; causing it to have a catastrophic engine failure. Just another reason to bring your ride to a QUALIFIED, CERTIFIED, KIA TECHNICIAN! My grandmother’s van almost seized from a improper oil change, good thing that I checked it out after the oil change was done; had to add 3 litres of oil to it! Sorry that I miss spelled your name NovaResource in the last post. 😎

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.