Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been talked about on here before but I wanted to be sure before I used my paint pen. I have small chips in my hood and with the car being red they are easily seen. I haven't driven the car much as of late so the only thing I can think of is when the guys come by to take care of the lawn and then blow the grass off the sidewalks they must have blown rocks at my car. That's a matter for me and the HOA. :mad:

Anyway, I got the paint pen free from the dealer when I bought the car. Do I just wash the car and then apply the pain over the chips? I am a little worried about getting too much on the car and then trying to wipe it off and having the excess paint smear on the hood. I'll have to look and see if I have the pen with the clear on one end and paint on the other but can someone who has experience with paint pens help me out here :confused:

Btw, just received my custom car sunshade and it fits a lot better than any $10 store bought shade! If you don't have one protecting your dash and interior then you should. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Didn't know about the paint pen....how much do they go for?

Bill

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I tried using my pen I got at the dealer. Day 1 I washed the car and used alcohol on the spots prior to applying the red side of pen (dab to fill the tiny hole) Day 2 I wiped down each area prior to applying the clear coat side of pen but the red paint I applied 24 hours earlier gets "wet" again once the clearcoat stuff touches it and smears the clear coat tip of pen. Doesn't look very good afterwards but slightly better then having the rock chip visible. At least it is sealed from rust now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
So I wonder if waiting a little longer to apply the clear coat would be better?

And I believe you can order the paint from one of the aftermarket sites that sells kia parts for about $8 but I forget which place it was

·
Registered
119 Posts
Best bet when using a pen imo is to not use the pen tip itself at all. This is what i have done for small chips on previous cars using a pen in the past.

Simply pump the pen tip till the paint starts to run down and collect it in a small clean soda cap. Don't fill the cap just a drop or two depending on how much you need. Then grab a Q-Tip and cut the cotton ends off of it. This leaves you with the stick. Dip the stick into the paint, then dip the tip of the stick into the area you have your chip. If done carefully on small paint chips the tip of the Q-Tip stick should have just enough paint to fill that chip hole up. This way there is no smudge look to it.

Do this on an evening when your done using the car and it's not going to rain. This way you give the paint some time to try. The next day just go about business as usual. Your still going to need some dry time for the paint (especially if it's hot) so don't apply the clear coat till the following day after that. So say you applied the paint Monday night, wait till Wednesday before you do the clear coat (48 hours).

From what i have noticed the clear coat dries allot faster than the paint. So after a day it should be pretty dry. Use the same method you used for the paint to apply the clear coat if you like. Otherwise you can use the pen tip but have a towel ready to wipe up any excess fast. The clear coat is pretty thin and will run down the car quickly if you apply to much.

Granted the method above still isn't going to make it look perfect as if it never happened. But it does seem to come out allot cleaner though if using the Q-Tip rather than the bulky sponge head of the pen itself.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
From the tech at my dealer
" Apply in multiple thin coat. Let dry 24H in between each color coat. Apply only at temp 20ºC +. Do your best to fill the rock chip hole but watch out for edging. Let dry than apply clear coat"

Hope it help!

Will start doing mine as soon as the weather permit!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. It is scheduled to rain here on Sunday so I think to be safe I will wait till next week to start the process in case I need a few coats to make it look right. I don't see the chips getting worse so I guess I have time. Just hate the fact that I know they are there. Maybe that is just me though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts