Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love this car but my wife and I have major back problems and the extra big front doors are causing problems, my wife especially has issues opening the door wide enough to exit from a seating position, it puts a lot of stress on an already painful back problem. For me we have a very narrow laneway so opening the door wide enough for easy entry and exit is impossible so I am twisting at a bad angle and my back is paying a high price. So Come Monday I going to check out the Soul, the doors are not as wide, also the soul is higher than the Forte5, so it should be easier on the back and knees getting in and out. At least I will stay in the Kia community.

Pat.

Reactions: dasfast

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I made a deal on a 2016 KIA Soul Luxury in Titanium, am picking it Friday will be sad to see the Forte5Sx go but needs must.

Pat.

Reactions: s.f.c.hooligan

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Soul is actually a pretty fun drive especially with the manual transmission. I considered one a few years ago.

Must say it's surprising you're having issues with door opening width in the 5. Without your sig I would have figured your first post was about the Koup. Can see the seating height making a bit of difference but wouldn't think the door opening issue in a narrow space would be much better. Did you have the F5's seat cranked all the way up?

Getting our Rav4 and the Forte5 in the two car garage is a bit tricky. Our first week here in the new place with both cars my wife managed to dent up the rav4 by pinning the recycle bin against the car and the door frame. So it's definitely a tight squeeze. The power folding mirrors actually do make a significant difference. I fold it up as I drive in so I can hug the door frame more on the driver's side. But then once past the lip there's plenty of room to open the door and get out.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Everyone that is over 60 that has gotten into my 5 moans about how low it is. That's probably more the issue you have than the door length. The Soul is a nice car, especially for the money, I think you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have back issues also and don't find the doors to be a issue on my F5. I have had 2 back surgeries already and told I need another. I actually like how far the door opens on this car compared to my suv.

You will like the soul. I had a 2011 with a manual and was fun but I wanted more power lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone that is over 60 that has gotten into my 5 moans about how low it is. That's probably more the issue you have than the door length. The Soul is a nice car, especially for the money, I think you'll be happy with it.
Yeah I took the soul on a really extended test drive really liked how it drives and rides. I will admit I did notice the power deficit from the Forte but on the whole I liked the soul. Haven't even got the car yet and today went all to hell and ordered the factory spoiler and side skirts, along with door visors and cargo liner. Yesterday ordered the broken K emblems from the K5 Optima store. Tonight ordered G2 caliper paint from Tirerack. Wife has ordered a halt on the spending:biggrin2:

Pat.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pat, Sorry to hear you've had to switch out of the 5, but totally understand. You may want to peek at this Soul owners group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/soulclubofontario/
I've yet to manage to meet up with them (been seriously busy!) but they're a lively bunch. not sure how many are up your way, most seem to be in the Pickering area.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn't much difference in price between the Forte5SX luxury and the Soul SX luxury
Soul MSRP= $29,544
Forte5= $30,644

Pat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pat, Sorry to hear you've had to switch out of the 5, but totally understand. You may want to peek at this Soul owners group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/soulclubofontario/
I've yet to manage to meet up with them (been seriously busy!) but they're a lively bunch. not sure how many are up your way, most seem to be in the Pickering area.
Ah!Markus I am not on facebook doesn't appeal to me. I am not a techie I still have a dinosaur flip phone pay as you go. A phone for me is for making a call in an emergency. I hate phones as a rule, I am hearing impaired so talking on a phone is not a fun experience and I don't text. See told you I was a dinosaur as far as tech goes.:biggrin2:

Pat.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Yeah I took the soul on a really extended test drive really liked how it drives and rides. I will admit I did notice the power deficit from the Forte but on the whole I liked the soul. Haven't even got the car yet and today went all to hell and ordered the factory spoiler and side skirts, along with door visors and cargo liner. Yesterday ordered the broken K emblems from the K5 Optima store. Tonight ordered G2 caliper paint from Tirerack. Wife has ordered a halt on the spending:biggrin2:

Pat.
Your OK in my books! Lol. Enjoy the soul. I also looked at them when I got my forte. Just decided I wanted a sedan since I didn't need quite as much room. Love the panoramic roof on the new soul.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There isn't much difference in price between the Forte5SX luxury and the Soul SX luxury
Soul MSRP= $29,544
Forte5= $30,644

Pat.
$30k for the forte? I paid 22K for mine fully loaded. I hope that's just MSRP for it lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your OK in my books! Lol. Enjoy the soul. I also looked at them when I got my forte. Just decided I wanted a sedan since I didn't need quite as much room. Love the panoramic roof on the new soul.
Yeah I have to admit that panoramic roof eases the the transition from the Forte5:wink2:

Pat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up miss Daisy this morning, My wife named her and it seems perfect. I also picked up the spoiler, side skirts door visors, and cargo liner. Maxpider winter mats arrived FedEx last evening. I took advantage of the warm temperature and installed the visors. It is going to be a busy few days, gonna install the skirts and spoiler myself. It is always a bit nerve wracking drilling holes in a brand new car. The side skirts look relatively easy as there is a black plastic rocker cover already there, apparently you remove that and use the existing holes to install the new skirts.

Pat.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte 5 EX
27 Posts
I really love this car but my wife and I have major back problems and the extra big front doors are causing problems, my wife especially has issues opening the door wide enough to exit from a seating position, it puts a lot of stress on an already painful back problem. For me we have a very narrow laneway so opening the door wide enough for easy entry and exit is impossible so I am twisting at a bad angle and my back is paying a high price. So Come Monday I going to check out the Soul, the doors are not as wide, also the soul is higher than the Forte5, so it should be easier on the back and knees getting in and out. At least I will stay in the Kia community.

Pat.

I had this same trouble too some years back. It was 20 years ago and I bought a 2005 Mitsoobitchi Eclipse. I couldn't take it off road without getting stuck, I put bigger tires on it, then I had a lift kit put on her and still! I kept getting stuck. So I was at the car dealer one day talking to a salesman and he told me I might need to buy a pickup truck! Who knew!?

Well anyway, I bought the truck and had a nightmare the first time I took her off road. I never made it over the curb. The whole front end and something the mechanic called ground effects was torn right off the second I hit it. My engine and tranny were destroyed and I was out $10,000.00. I had to ride a Huffy bicycle to work for the next 2 years to the Taxi garage where I work out of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts