Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of trouble finding performance parts for my 2016 Koup EX. Does anyone know if there are any parts that are compatible? Maybe parts for the 4Dr Sedan?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
What do you mean by performance parts?

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I say performance parts I mean any of the following

• cold air intake
  • chips
  • turbo
The car's engine is 100% identical to the Sedan EX or Forte5 EX. Exhaust is like the Forte 5. Talking about turbo, begs the question, why did you not look for a Koup Turbo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car's engine is 100% identical to the Sedan EX or Forte5 EX. Exhaust is like the Forte 5. Talking about turbo, begs the question, why did you not look for a Koup Turbo?
Thanks for the reply. At the time I got my Koup, there was no turbo models available. Where I live, there isn't much variety.

You mentioned my car sharing it's engine with the sedan and forte 5, do you know if there are cold air intakes available for them two? I'm asking because I tried searching online and failed to find anything. Maybe you know of something?

Thanks again

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the reply. At the time I got my Koup, there was no turbo models available. Where I live, there isn't much variety.

You mentioned my car sharing it's engine with the sedan and forte 5, do you know if there are cold air intakes available for them two? I'm asking because I tried searching online and failed to find anything. Maybe you know of something?

Thanks again
Frankly, no clue, because I'm not interested in these so-called cold air intakes. The overwhelming majority is anything but cold. But I'm sure, there is some folks, who can help you. Try to use teh search function in this forum, there is something, I'm quite certain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frankly, no clue, because I'm not interested in these so-called cold air intakes. The overwhelming majority is anything but cold. But I'm sure, there is some folks, who can help you. Try to use teh search function in this forum, there is something, I'm quite certain.
Okay, thanks for your help. I appreciate it

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks for the links. My Koup is a 2.0L. I don't know if it compatible.
suspension pieces and body parts are usually compatible. Intakes are specific to engines. Exhausts may or may not be compatible. Each site should point this out. ,

Strange that the K&N Intake 69-5314TS listed for the 2014 Koup 2.0 is not listed for the 2016 Koup 2.0. I wonder why it wont fit?

Performance Air Intake System (knfilters.com)

·
Registered
468 Posts
suspension pieces and body parts are usually compatible. Intakes are specific to engines. Exhausts may or may not be compatible. Each site should point this out. ,

Strange that the K&N Intake 69-5314TS listed for the 2014 Koup 2.0 is not listed for the 2016 Koup 2.0. I wonder why it wont fit?

Performance Air Intake System (knfilters.com)
I think that's not written very well, because 2014 through 2016 is the exact same engine. I have a 2014 and 2015, both EX, one Koup one Sedan, and the parts are interchangeable. OEM for 2014 to 2016 is the same. I do not know how it changed, if at all, after the facelift for 2017 and 2018, but that's not in scope of the question anyways. Short, the K&N part will fit to the 2016, because it is totally the same intake 2014-2016.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think that's not written very well, because 2014 through 2016 is the exact same engine. I have a 2014 and 2015, both EX, one Koup one Sedan, and the parts are interchangeable. OEM for 2014 to 2016 is the same. I do not know how it changed, if at all, after the facelift for 2017 and 2018, but that's not in scope of the question anyways. Short, the K&N part will fit to the 2016, because it is totally the same intake 2014-2016.
That is what I thought but when you go to the K&N website it only shows that intake for the 2014...

·
Registered
468 Posts
That is what I thought but when you go to the K&N website it only shows that intake for the 2014...
Yup. I did go and see. My comment, that it isn't well written referred to the K&N website. Probably expressed myself not all that clear, either.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
  • chips
  • turbo
as you might not like it, the answer is - if you want to have FI engine, change the car.
Get KIA with 2.0 T or a VW, or some other car.

Adding turbo to NA engines nowadays is a huge task. Yes, it can be done, but you are dealing with not only ECU problems, but exhaust, cooling, oil flow, air flow, not to mention internals... so many issues that it becomes so expensive, it will be far easier to get factory FI engine.
Unless this is your project car and you do not care about resale, reliability, or how much money you need to spend.

It would be far easier to swap the engine entirely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as you might not like it, the answer is - if you want to have FI engine, change the car.
Get KIA with 2.0 T or a VW, or some other car.

Adding turbo to NA engines nowadays is a huge task. Yes, it can be done, but you are dealing with not only ECU problems, but exhaust, cooling, oil flow, air flow, not to mention internals... so many issues that it becomes so expensive, it will be far easier to get factory FI engine.
Unless this is your project car and you do not care about resale, reliability, or how much money you need to spend.

It would be far easier to swap the engine entirely.
That's really too bad, because she kinda is a project car. If I can't do anything, than that's okay I guess.

You mention an engine swap, would that really be much easier?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
That's really too bad, because she kinda is a project car. If I can't do anything, than that's okay I guess.

You mention an engine swap, would that really be much easier?

Thanks
Man, anything can be done, it's just the matter of time, money, and effort.
Just my take is that - if you want reliable faster car, invest in a better car.

You see, you are facing many problems here. If you are OK with them - go for it, really. But if you think you can spend say 2000 USD on a turbo kit and simply slap it on the 2.0 NA - you are wrong. This is only the beginning. You need a well worked out tune that will not destroy the engine. You need to make sure other parts of the car will take it (clutch, tranny, CVs, suspension). Fuel pump, injectors, air delivery, new exhaust. You start adding it up and from 2k turbo kit you end up with easily 5 grand project that is nowhere near the end.
And the car is not really reliable...

Sell what you have, get used GTI, tune it, add a few parts and you will start collecting speeding tickets, because your 150 HP and 140 lb*ft at 4000 rpm from 2.0 NA will seem very weak when you can easily get 250 HP and 250 lb*ft at 2500 rpm from 2.0 GTI. Even, get a regular Golf. It is 1.8 T, almost same internals, also tunable and will smoke like crazy. Sure, no DSG, but still fun with TC AT. Unless you go for MT.

As for engine swap.
If you can find 1.6T donor - that would be the easiest. Still many pieces will need to be addressed - BCM, ECU communication. Wiring, exhaust.
Or again - sell 2.0 and get 1.6T - same KIA, just completely different drive. KIAs twin scroll turbo in 1.6 spools much faster than VWs 2.0.
Add a tune and you are like in a stock GTI.

Reactions: ForteSX2.4

·
Registered
468 Posts
My personal opinion is, drive it as it is. Slap some good tires on, perhaps add a torsion bar at the back. And if you want to learn, how to be fast with it, go to a carting track and learn how to be fast there. Nothing, or nearly nothing will teach you car control better than that.
If anyone is interested, look at the episode of Top Gear, where Sabine Schmitz attempted a 10 minute lap on the old Nürburgring in a delivery van. There were Porsches on the track and she passed them with the van.
OK, she was the undisputed queen of that track, probably had 20,000 laps under her belt, but still it underscores very well, how a superior car control will enable you to outrun a seemingly stronger car.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My personal opinion is, drive it as it is. Slap some good tires on, perhaps add a torsion bar at the back. And if you want to learn, how to be fast with it, go to a carting track and learn how to be fast there. Nothing, or nearly nothing will teach you car control better than that.
If anyone is interested, look at the episode of Top Gear, where Sabine Schmitz attempted a 10 minute lap on the old Nürburgring in a delivery van. There were Porsches on the track and she passed them with the van.
OK, she was the undisputed queen of that track, probably had 20,000 laps under her belt, but still it underscores very well, how a superior car control will enable you to outrun a seemingly stronger car.
Thanks for the comment, I understand what you're saying.

Honestly, I'm just looking for more horsepower and I'm not interested in selling her to get another car.

I will just keep her stock I guess.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Honestly, I'm just looking for more horsepower and I'm not interested in selling her to get another car.
If that is the case - you have very limited possibilities.
Intake (relatively cheap), exhaust (getting into region of 1000 USD - that is good quality with performance cat).
Other than that - you exhausted options. You can move on to headers, add a tune - but in the end, all of it, will add maybe 10 HP. Maybe 15 HP. And that would be limited to higher RPM only. At low end the power increase will be minimal.

Adding turbo - as I said earlier. Expensive and tricky journey. Without the right tools and knowledge it may end up in a disaster that will destroy your engine.

Good luck and sorry for bad news.

P.S.
One thing I might add.
LX and EX versions sell quite well.
SX is rather rare and they do not resale well. Maybe it is worth just looking into going away from 2.0 NA MPI and switch to 1.6 T GDI? Yes, it will involve some cost, but overall - that I bet would be about the intake and exhaust.

Reactions: NovaResource
1 - 20 of 22 Posts