Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to my kia dealer yesterday for just a recall update and seen they had oil change special 24.95 lube oil and filter so thats a ok price. so i went outside and marked a X on my oil filter (to make sure they change the filter) then pulled it in the service drive waited my 35 mins then they where done. so befor i left the dealer i checked the oil dip stick new oil on it then checked the filter and guess what they didnt change the filter so i found the service manager told him what was up after 20 mins of talking i had him put it back on the rack and showed him and the tec that did it had no oil filter that fit my car in his oil drain after a new tec redone the oil change the manage asked me what i was going to do i told him first i wanted a meeting with the owner on monday so thats all set up now

so what should i do ??????

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
tell the owner that you are gonna be keeping a sharp eye on his "business" practices- thats its not your first time around the block.

that said- offer the soft hand instead of the iron oak-
tell him that for the length of your financing- you are willing to keep playing the "mystery shopper" bit- but he has to cover all fluid changes for the life of the loan.
that perhaps the "problem" is not his running of the company-but just a lazy employee and that by scouting out those types of employees he would be saving money in the long run and free fluid/filter changes for a few years isnt that bad of a deal.
don't get any love at that point? tell him flat out that you are going to
contact your favorite local tv news station-(you know-the one w/the super hotties lol) report your situation and they will more than likely jump on the chance to shame a big time car dealer. surely someone at the tv station has a kia that can be used as the trojan horse.

my 2 cents- you have free fluid/filter changes for length of your loan :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Clever, X on the filter bit. However I truly suggest that you find a new dealer. I recently went in for my first service interval. I never rely on what oil or filter that a dealer would use. After reading some I decided on 10w 30 Castrol Syntech and a K&N filter. Asked the Service Manager to please use the supplied oil and filter that I brought to the dealership. Sooo that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
533 Posts
DON'T use that damn K&N Filter it's a scam!!! I have been doing oil changes professionally for quite awhile and I can tell you you're wasting money on em.. Use 5W-20 as it's good for all temps and It doesn't matter what brand but I do use Pennzoil Synthetic, and use a Purolator PureOne oil filter.. It's a little gold filter in a little gold box and it's 99.9% effective and costs $5.00 almost anywhere, that K&N filter is 96% effective and costs $15.00 roughly... Just my 2 cents...

Back to the subject though I would Rape the dealer so hard... They technically voided your warranty by not changing the filter and running the vehicle... Treat like you have pictures of him having an affair and you're gonna show his wife if he doesn't satisfy you lol... All I can say is that mechanic and crew should be tossed because there is no way in hell a kia dealer shouldn't have a kia filter... Worst case they shoulda got one outsourced if they didn't have it and told it will take some time and give a discount and not just not change it... so dumb... so so so dumb...

Good luck homie hit his pocket deep....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i got a phone call about 4 or 5 hours ago it was the service manager to make sure i was going to still be there on monday to meet with the owner (he has to fly in) then he told me that they fired the tec that did my oil change and wanted to keep this at the dealer i told him idk if i can then he told me i can have free oil change for life i told him ill have to get back with him

·
Registered
533 Posts
LMFAO!!!!! They know they're screwed so hard so just ride the pony all the way in there lol... ride it deep and hard and make em squeal... I love seeing "The Man" panic when he knows he just screwed himself.. They will kiss your ass so hard now so it doesnt go public, but wait too late, it already went public when you told us LMAO!!!! so funny when stupid people get caught...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Since it did technically void your warranty I would ask for the price of the warranty back but keep it in tact... Have them cover everything and not just the oil changes for FREE!!! Then you get $1,000 or so in play money and a good warranty still...

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Warranties require endusers / car owners to keep up with the maintenance schedule, which includes the replacement of consumable parts that are required during the phases of the maintenance schedule. Since the oil was changed, but the filter was not, if it was the end user who did this and it could be proven, their warranty would be void. Since the dealer did this, they essentially voided the customer's warranty (on paper anyway).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Every time the oil is changed the filter and drain plug washer are required to be changed per KIA to maintain the manufacturer's warranty... IF these parts are not changed and a problem arises with the engine it can easily be thrown out because you (the consumer) did not follow proper procedure and in doing so void your warranty... In this case the dealer voided the warranty by not replacing all of said parts... That's why if you buy the filter from kia it comes with a new drain plug washer as well for free because KIA requires it changed..

I just had a friend get his Hyundai (same warranty)denied warranty engine work because he didn't keep a proper maintenance log and did all of his own oil changes.. there was a lapse in his log of just one missed oil change in the log and they denied his warranty engine repair and it cost him $2,000 to fix the engine through the dealer.. I'm just saying they will get tricky and picky on anything to save a buck...

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I've bought 4 oil filters from my KIA dealership and did not get any drain plug washers included. Nor did the parts counter guy even mention my needing one. Hmmm....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Clever, X on the filter bit. However I truly suggest that you find a new dealer. I recently went in for my first service interval. I never rely on what oil or filter that a dealer would use. After reading some I decided on 10w 30 Castrol Syntech and a K&N filter. Asked the Service Manager to please use the supplied oil and filter that I brought to the dealership. Sooo that's my 2 cents.
same setup here: castrol syntech and k&n performance gold or whatever (the one with the wrench end so I don't have to worry about having a stupid oil filter removal tool)
and thats weird what dude said about k&n being a waste of money, I did a lot of research before deciding what I was going to use and the k&n was better in most categories than other brands in the article I read.
all oil filters are made by like three companies so they don't really make that big of a difference, though I have heard that fram actually is garbage.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Warranties require endusers / car owners to keep up with the maintenance schedule, which includes the replacement of consumable parts that are required during the phases of the maintenance schedule. Since the oil was changed, but the filter was not, if it was the end user who did this and it could be proven, their warranty would be void. Since the dealer did this, they essentially voided the customer's warranty (on paper anyway).
Every time the oil is changed the filter and drain plug washer are required to be changed per KIA to maintain the manufacturer's warranty... IF these parts are not changed and a problem arises with the engine it can easily be thrown out because you (the consumer) did not follow proper procedure and in doing so void your warranty... In this case the dealer voided the warranty by not replacing all of said parts... That's why if you buy the filter from kia it comes with a new drain plug washer as well for free because KIA requires it changed..
Thanks guys for clearing that up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
justdpot2001 - Where in Kansas is your dealer located?

I also bought a 12 filters from a Kia dealer and never received any drain plug washers. I wish the drain plug had a built-in rubber o-ring gasket like my Ford Escape did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
definitely go after the dealer... there is A LOT of "Shady ness " that takes place at ALL dealerships but since i've had my car I've seen A LOT of it taking place at KIA Dealers. I refuse to return to my dealership EVER again for instances similar to this (I never thought about the X on the oil filter but definitely want to try it for my next service). Anyways through my experiences and dealing with the GM of the dealership, time and time again he was "Un aware" of what was taking place. Keeping in mind I had issues with the sales department and service department. You would think a GM of a dealership would be WELL aware of the shady practices taking place in his dealership.
Anyways I would most definitely go after the dealership, take it to the media (i.e. newspapers, tv etc.) And even inform KIA Head office, i'm sure they would love to hear what is being done under their name and what kind of reputation they are receiveing from these cheepskate dealers!

Good luck man and definitely Keep us all posted!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well they should have a drain plug washer included with them as they are the same filters that are on the hyundai elantra and those ones came with the washer from the dealer... Any aftermarket filter will not have them and you will need to purchase seperately.. For a prime example I had a customer come in today and she had an '09 sportage and through her last three oil changes ( it only had 12,000 miles) the plug washer has never been changed and her oil pan was soaked and was dripping oil from the plug even though the plug was tight...

I have access to the washers so if anyone would like a box I believe they come with about 30 or so in a box I will send them to you. They cost me $5.00 a box and I don't know that shipping would be much of anything b/c they wheigh almost nothing.. Definitely change em...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.