Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says, i added about an ounce of maxlife atf to a pretty full master cylinder in my 17. I read all the rubber must go. And so I am replacing master cylinder, calipers, hoses, and doing a flush. I messed up, I've got a responsibility to my family and the motoring public to ensure the car is safe, fine. The work is bought and paid for, the car won't be driven until it's done.

What I can't find consensus on is the ABS module. Likely damaged? Can it contaminate new parts, even after a flush? Or would it simply fail and leave me with regular brakes?

There are used modules available. Would it need to be flashed or programmed if I got that? Part of me is tempted to get it regardless, so i know even if the pump isn't working, the placeholder pump is clean.

Any insights?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
How long was the ATF in the reservoir? If you put it in and realized it right away then cleaning the reservoir would be all that is necessary. If the ATF was in the brake system for a month before you realized your mistake then a thorough cleaning is warranted.
My recollection is that ATF is not harmful to rubber - if they flush the ABS module you should be fine!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You are lucky as all get out you didn't do it the other way around!!!

Flush the brake lines real well, and refill with the proper fluid. You will be ok!

The other way around, it would have easily been transmission replacement. The A6 series (A6MF1, A6GF1) of hyundai/kia transmissions is fairly rock solid but SENSITIVE, if you put anything other than OEM specced transmission fluid into them, they are fucked, sooner or later. It might take 6 months or more, but they will act up and die.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts