Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Telluride a couple of months ago and it has the "idle stop and go" feature, i.e. when driving the car and stopping at a light/stop sign, it will sometimes turn off the engine and quickly start up when you press the gas. The signal on the dash (and on the button to turn that option off and on) is an "A" with a circle around it.

I got a 2021 Forte "GT Limited" (the top trim in Canada) and I can see that the same icon is present in the same place in the panel... but it's never turned on because the "idle stop and go" seems to not be there. Couldn't find anything on the manual.

Why would they put the icon there in the dash if the car simply doesn't have the feature?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,398 Posts
I don't know if I'd like a car that automatically shuts off on it's own!

How many more "niceties" do we need that increase what can go wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that this feature is very polarizing, that's probably why the Telluride has the option to turn it off. I thought I would hate it as well but turns out I like it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know that this feature is very polarizing, that's probably why the Telluride has the option to turn it off. I thought I would hate it as well but turns out I like it.
It should be a configuration option you can enable or disable "permanently" until you change the configuration again. I'm very glad my 21 Forte GT Limited doesn't have start-stop technology, especially one you can't turn off forever. Once I turn off a "feature" like that, I never want to be reminded it even exists.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, yeah? If you changed a setting to something, it should remember what you set it so that you don't have to always turn it off, of course.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It should be a configuration option you can enable or disable "permanently" until you change the configuration again. I'm very glad my 21 Forte GT Limited doesn't have start-stop technology, especially one you can't turn off forever. Once I turn off a "feature" like that, I never want to be reminded it even exists.
The feature was designed for SUVs and gas guzzlers. Smaller cars and economy cars wouldn't benefit from this.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,398 Posts
The feature was designed for SUVs and gas guzzlers. Smaller cars and economy cars wouldn't benefit from this.

That makes sense...kinda...LOL! If I bought a gas guzzler I wouldn't want it to shut off, mainly because I would know I bought a gas guzzler...and shutting the engine off will most likely save .086 ounces of gas...:devilish:

·
Registered
118 Posts

A gas guzzler like the Kia Seltos? It uses the same drivetrain combinations (at least in Canada) as the Forte (although the 1.6T only makes 175hp) and has stop-start technology.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A gas guzzler like the Kia Seltos? It uses the same drivetrain combinations (at least in Canada) as the Forte (although the 1.6T only makes 175hp) and has stop-start technology.
201hp....

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
336 Posts
Hi I know this is a old post, but data suggests that engine shut off can actually save you a ton of gas even for something that is as small as has 1.5 cc. Engineering Explained - How Much Fuel Does ENGINE IDLING Use? | Facebook the video is based on a study that measured fuel consumption between idling engine and engines that stop and start.
I don't mind it and the one in my Seltos works pretty much seamlessly. Hypermilers did it before there was this technology and i just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT2 Aurora Black Pearl
45 Posts
Hypothetically, would the constant stop/start of the engine affect turbo cooling? Is there any lag experienced while engine starts up and wheels begin to turn? Never driven one- though I can clearly hear the feature on cars as a pedestrian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not going to mention what company builds the vehicle, but one of my customers at my gas bar has to replace the starter on his SUV after one year of ownership; you’d all think that the manufacturer would have installed a heavy duty starter on a vehicle that has the stop and go feature…and it’s not a Kia dude’s.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Not going to mention what company builds the vehicle, but one of my customers at my gas bar has to replace the starter on his SUV after one year of ownership; you’d all think that the manufacturer would have installed a heavy duty starter on a vehicle that has the stop and go feature…and it’s not a Kia dude’s.
I've read and watched videos that claim manufacturers who use stop-and-go engines use a 2nd starter designed specifically for this.

Reactions: tc0566

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've read and watched videos that claim manufacturers who use stop-and-go engines use a 2nd starter designed specifically for this.
The automakers claim they use heavier-duty starters for start-stop, but I assume they're lying, because that would be cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts