Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
****Update***** Specclutch.com has stated that they plan on releasing a lightweight flywheel for the 6 speed some time next month. They already sell stage 1 through 7 clutch kits for them and they are going to email me when available; they did not quote a price. Turbokits.com is also working with Fidanza on a Flywheel, but no exact date was given as to it's release. Road Race Motorsports said that they are not going to invest in it's development until more people step up wanting to mod their Koup's. I contacted TWM about a short throw shifter and they said one is on the books and should be seen around the fall, so we have some good things coming. I think if we all just start contacting these companies about the parts we want to see, then they will accelerate the process of releasing them. Economics 101, Supply and Demand. *******Update*********

Well, I finally determined that I was stupid enough to attempt the CDV valve removal that many have asked about, but didn't want to try. To make it short and sweet, I will tell you how I did it, but first I WARN you that it is not a good idea unless you have an extra vehicle, a lot of patience, a garage.

Let me say that I 100% recommend waiting until you install an aftermarket flywheel/clutch and have this done at the same time. The shop probably won't even charge extra and it would take them 5 min. to get it out. That being said it definitely makes the car shift better, no questions asked. No more stalling or weird gear grabbing. The throttle still takes some getting used to, but none the less, it feels like a normal shift now. Definitely should be taken out, but I recommend by a professional if you value your time and blood pressure.

To recap, the Clutch Delay Valve is what causes the horrible shifting/stalling with the clutch. In the 2.4L with the 6 speed it is located inside the clutch slave cylinder, which is located in the bell housing. The bottom line is the hydraulic input line. It makes a 90 degree right turn after entering the bell housing. Pics are located at the bottom. You will need:

A 60 degree 12mm offset box wrench. Not from Sears as their's is only 45 degree and it doesn't seem to reach properly. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $10.

Super Glue (The good stuff).

Flexible strong magnet.

Small inspection mirror.

Flexible light.

Brake Fluid.

Standard wrench/socket set.

Flexible Grabber (Recommended)

Paper clip, hanger, compressed air or something to get the actual CDV out.

Someone to hold a light and help you bleed the clutch system afterwards.

A good solid prayer that you don't drop anything in the bell housing.

First you will want to remove the air cleaner tubes and I suggest the unbolting and setting the cleaner itself up on the fuse panel to allow more space. You will then need to disconnect the quick connect on the input line that goes into the bell housing. Make sure you have something to catch the fluid that is going to come out. After that, you will need to take off the quick connect adapter that is still attached to the elbow going into the bell housing. Once the adapter is removed, you can then slip the 12mm offset box wrench over the line and inside the bell housing. This is where it gets really tricky and really scary. You will have to ever so gently bend both of the elbows to make room for the wrench. Do this at your own risk. It is very scary. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THERE IS A COPPER WASHER (NOT MAGNETIC) AT THE END OF THE FITTING THAT IS INSIDE OF THE BELL HOUSING. IF YOU DROP IT IN THE HOUSING YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY! The elbow actually screws into another adapter which then screws into the clutch slave cylinder. The CDV is physically inside the slave cylinder, so the adapter will have to come out. There are two ways this can go, 1) when turning the 12mm nut it actually unscrewed the adapter instead, causing it to come out as one whole assembly. This actually worked to my benefit, but I cannot say that it will be like that for everyone. This process sucked and at one point I thought I broke the line, but thankfully didn't. 2) the elbow comes loose leaving the adapter screwed in still. At that point I'm not sure what to tell you cause it didn't happen to me. Make sure you buy an offset box wrench set and you may be able to get it. Putting it back together is 4 billion times harder that taking it apart. The copper washer is on the adapter that screws into the slave. Once you unscrew the adapter the copper washer has a high chance of falling. Getting the CDV valve out is even more frustrating. I used compressed air blowing through the bleeder side. This gave me more issues as it did come out, with some brake fluid as well. Fortunately, not enough to cause any slippage issue. Long story short, the washer and CDV assembly which consists of a small spring and metal plate, all fell into the bell housing. After several frustrating days, I ended up having to seperate the bell housing from the motor to retrieve the parts. Transmission shop said $500 plus to do the work. Forget that. My only recommendation, if you are crazy enough to do this, would be to glue the washer to the adapter, which is what I did, upon reassembly so that it doesn't fall back into the bell housing. Good luck if you dare.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Happy to see you have found how to do CDV modification on the 2.4, I did my 2.0 Forte a few months back and I would never replace it. The clutch while still light has a much better feel to it

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey man!! What balls you have!:eek: I'm glad that someone finally did this! Thanks for the heads up about the washer+cdv+spring possibly falling into the bell housing. That sucks that it happened to you though:(! That's some good info. Not sure when I'll do it but now I know how! Thanks again!:cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wow.. sounds like one of those dam it I'm gonna lose it jobs.. glad you got it done and it shifts better now.

I'm not ready to do this yet lol..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey....:)......good news

Glad to hear someone found a way to remove the CDV on US and Canadian variants

Cheers
Ossie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that it would be the same if you have to two hydraulic lines going into the bell housing. Ours was easy to tell, cause the line went from the brake master cylinder, to the clutch master cylinder, from the clutch master to some type of small device, then the line goes into the bell housing. There is no clutch slave cylinder visible externally. Also, my understanding is that all of the manual transmissions for these cars have the CDV. Still can't say for 100% though. Good luck.

·
Registered
973 Posts
thank you, I may try this out this weekend, still kinda leary of it lol
definitely don't wanna mess my car up and I need it every day

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey corytate, sometimes you just gotta take the "ball and run with it"

roballan2004 and I took the initiative, although mine was a helluva lot easier to do than roballan2004's, I tips me lid to ya mate....:)

A few here said "it couldn't be done" Rob's now proved em wrong....good onya mate :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ossie. If I had to do over again, and I knew what I know now, I would have waited another month, got the Clutch kit and Flywheel from Specclutch and just had the shop pull the CDV when they were in there. Or at least if I still decided to do all of the work myself, I would've just had to pull apart once for everything and it would have been a lot less scary and frustrating. Either way, I'm a happy (relieved) camper now. I must say also, that I have been eye balling the intake manifold and I think there is some funny stuff going on between there and the ETC. First, the computer overrides WOT in regards to pedal position, so we don't have the control over the throttle like we would with cable operated. Also, I'm not convinced that the VIS in the manifold is setup to help with performance in any way. I think it is there to help with the gas mileage (restriction). I am going to look into this more though. Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome. I have another post on this subject under VIS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KorsaBlue,

It doesn't necessarily affect the weight of the clutch, but the engagement of the clutch is more natural and predictiable. That being said, I think that you can actually feel the engagement of the clutch more easily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wingzero,

Thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned the Mazda 3 as well. I may be doing some trial and error on this. I will post updates as necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
roballan2004http://www.forteforums.com/forums/members/roballan2004.html

Thanks for having a go at this, its been driving me crazy. I have taken mine in to the dealership three times with this issue! Finally last time they talked to Kia (Canada) and they said 'This is a normal condition for this clutch at this time' which I hope means they are working on something to improve the situation so I can at last enjoy what should be a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update.

It would appear that the use of air to eject the CDV assembly was a bad idea. Once it started getting hot around here I started to notice that the car didn't want to come out of gear if I hold the clutch in for too long. I have no leaks on the connections that I took apart but I do see fluid dripping from the bottom of the bell housing. My only deduction is that the boot around the slave cylinder piston is leaking, which sucks giant monkey [email protected]$. I am now going to have to fully remove the transmission and have a look. I wish someone would hurry up and release a flywheel/clutch kit for this. At least then it would be worthwhile to take apart.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man that does suk giant monkey balls!! Hope it's nothing to serious. At least you have taken it apart already-it should go a lot easier this time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great Write up ^^^Thanks
Some things that helped me
1) Get some string to help hold on to your parts as you put them back in, makes life easier if you drop anything.
2) Magnets Save your Life, I wouldn't recommend anyone try this without a good set of magnets
i lushed a stick magnet in there and it grabbed the cdv, it was simplest part for me.
3) GET A NEW COMPRESSION WASHER!!
Putting the old copper washer will eventually lead to leaking. I picked up a new washer from a Diesel shop. so ill let you guys know if it leaks.

Once Again Thanks for the Write up! Would not have tried this with out it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
only one question: Why the hell isn't this a sticky!?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts