Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken the factory head unit out and willing to take photos of its internals? I'm looking to find out information on the chips that can be found inside to pull data sheets and add pre outs to the stock unit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess if no one has cracked up their head unit I'll be a first. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos while voiding my warranty to pieces... Hopefully I'll be able to get started on this soon. Anyone make a vent removal tool from a hanger?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well really i'm just looking to solder in some RCA's to create 4 channel Pre-outs. My goal is to tap into the signal prior to the internal amp in the head unit. I've completed this task on an old unit from a kia spectra just to prove out if it was going to be possible :) worked just fine. I may look into building a small circuit board with some burr brown op amp chips to boast the signal from about 1 volt up to 4... i'm not entirely sure on that... while i'm in there i'm going to see if I cant also pull some data on the sirius chip.... i've always been curious on what makes it tick... but main goal is RCA pre outs. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos. :D

Also found the tool... seems pretty simple! Only time will tell though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I tried for 15 min. to remove these crazy vents... i made a tool with old coat hangers formed as close to pictures I've seen online of the actual tool. It slips right in and catches in the small gap where the vent transitions from the duct work... I pulled very hard but nothing... then I used a screw driver for as a handle and pulled extremely hard... I was afraid it was going to break... but it bent the hanger slightly on the bent ends that fit in the groove and one end popped loose. How in the world do these things come out?

·
Registered
532 Posts
For some people they come off easy but I know for me it was extremely hard my hanger actually started tearing into the plastic from where it hooks onto And I busted the vent adjuster but was able to put it back together tho. If Kia ever needed to get into mine they would see all the damage I caused lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is just unreal how hard it is to unseat these vents... I'm very determined though so I will try again after road tripping this weekend for Christmas... Maybe I'll make a second tool to distribute some of this force a bit while trying to pull the vent out... It makes me wonder if their tool presses against some type of clip in that small grove at the back of the duct work...

·
Registered
103 Posts
been through this when i replaced my head unit, just use two butter knives with the blades wrapped in insulation tape to prevent trim damage and prise the bastards out, exerscise a little patience and you will succeed:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try a combo of using the butter knives and hanger tool to hopefully pop these things out. I'd thought I would be a little further along by now works been busy... I'll post with updates as they come.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weather finally warmed up and I had some time. I think i have what i need to start planing. Pictures to come for thoes interested.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I wish I could get my hands on the 2011's firmware apparently the head unit supports A2DP but it's not enabled on the 2010. It also supports RDS but again is not enabled.

If anyone has that firmware file that Kia uploaded once I'd like to take a look at enabling some of the locked out features.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't checked but do they post firmware updates on the technical service web page for Kia. I too would love these features.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Works like a champ... I put it back in the car while I tried to find out how to wire my pre-outs based on what i found inside... turns out i cant get datasheets for the chips i need because they are protected by NDA... so for the time being i've given up...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pre outs

Well I found some time to trace the circuit from the power amp backwards but have found that I can not find a signal that revolves around 0 volts. Signal voltage rides on a 1.34 volt line and outputs less than .5 volt... It would be to much work to implement a switching power supply and circuitry to get this signal amp useable. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the info boss. You obviously know a lot about circuitry.. So I'm going to invest in a Clarion NX501 as suggested by some of the guys on a post I made today. I was really hoping to find a good way to recycle that unit but thank you for this info!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I was really hoping to keep the stock but I might also be looking to clarion for a nice replacement unit... Just have to talk the wife into it... Might take a lot of talking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New project

Ok so I've found some plans for switch mode psu's very handy for powering burr brown op amps... Might be revisiting my original plans :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts