Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, you need to know 2 things:

1. It is not a plug and play light - they are made in China for Chinese-made K3/Fortes. None of the ebay light's mount points match up with our main assembly.

2. There are different versions sold. One requires modifying the light because it has more tabs on it then our factory reflectors and it uses individual led bulbs that don't match our tail lights well - while the other has fewer tabs on it and uses a ribbon-type light system that almost matches our tail lights. I recommend the second one sold by ebay seller Dreamseek-U.S. (NO, I am not affiliated with them) LED Tail Trunk Strip Light for Kia K3 Forte Cerato 2019+ Stop Brake Rear Lamp | eBay

Once you receive the light INSPECT IT! Make sure it works! Use a 9-volt battery and connect the black wire to the negative battery post and then touch each wire of the other 4 wires one-at-a-time to the positive battery post to insure the light works properly. You will get a sequenced-on running light, a brake light, and two wires will operate the left or right turn signal sequencing. Dreamseek Rear Trunk Light for 2019+ Kia K3 Forte Cerato Tail Light Brake Lamp with Welcome Function - YouTube
Mine came this way:
Red wire - running light
White wire - brake light
Yellow - right turn signal
Yellow - left turn signal
Black - ground

You will need 4ea #4 X 1/2" sheet metal screws and 4ea matching #4 washers. You also need 4ea 1/4" washers to go under the #4 washers. The original screws that hold our tail lights on are TOO BIG for the new light. If you try to reuse the original srews you will split the mounts open on the new light.

There are 6 mounts on your reflector light. There are 8 mounts on the new light.

On your light the mounts are in a row:
1 2 3 4 5 6

On the new light the mounts are like this:
......7 8
1 2 3 4 5 6

You will only use the following four mounts on the new lights:
......7 8
1 2 3 4 5 6

Wood Electrical wiring Composite material Rectangle Auto part

Note in this picture is the first type light assembly - it was defective and I did not use it. Unlike the second type light this one had yellow, red, white, blue, and black wires, The second type light has red, white, yellow, yellow, and black wires.

Both types of lights do mount properly to the trunk:

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

You tube video discussing removal of reflector from trunk lid:

Forte GT Tail Light Mod - YouTube

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
You will only use the following four mounts on the new lights:
......7 8
1 2 3 4 5 6

Mount positions 3 and 4 - you will need to drill holes slightly wider and higher then the original mount holes.

Mount positions 2 and 5 - you will need to drill 1/4" holes in the main assembly and use a 1/4" X 1/4" spacer to secure the new light assembly to the main assembly. Line up the new light and the main assembly to mark where the new holes will be drilled.

Mount positions 7 and 8 - you will need to cut out a portion of the main assembly's brackets to go around them - or you can CUT THEM OFF COMPLETELY (these are mounts your original reflector doesn't have).

Mount positions 1 and 6 are not use and do not match up to the main assembly at all. The inner tail lights on the trunk actually help here as the tail lights lock into the main assembly and the light assembly on each side.

Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Electrical wiring Eyewear

Motor vehicle Font Gas Office equipment Audio equipment

Font Trigger Gadget Technology Bumper

Automotive exterior Bumper Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part Hood

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiring:

In my case I did not use the turn signals, instead I used the turn signals for the brake light, so I do not know what color wires to use if you want to use the turn signals.

Instead I left the white wire (brake light) unused and instead connected the yellow (turn signal) wire to work as the brake light as this provides animation when I hit the brakes - the brake light comes on by starting in the middle and flashing outward and then stays lit (instead of just coming one), also when I release the brakes when the running lights are on I get the start-up sequence again.

Using the outer tail light wire harness I soldered the red wire to the factory pink wire (running lights) and I soldered the yellow wires to the factory red wire (brakes). Then I grounded the black wire to the bottom inside tail light mount nut.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Thigh

I did leave the new light's white wire in the harness in case I decide to make the turn signals work at a later date.

How the light works*:

Running light start up:
Lights start.MOV (dropbox.com)

Brakes only:
Brakes on.MOV (dropbox.com)

Lights on then brakes (when brakes are released the running lights do their start up again):
Lights on then brakes.MOV (dropbox.com)

* Thanks to AcuraKai for loading my video shorts to drop box!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts