Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be getting my first car in the coming months and so far the car thats on my mind is the koup, im 20 years old, no accidents, no tickets, got my full g, and took driving school. im pretty sure im going to be under my dads name for the insurance anyway time for the question...

what effects insurance mainly?

i hear two door cars will raise insurance correct?
what about color does that affect insurance? like will racing red be harsher on insurance then say, grey?
engine capacity? EI 2.0 or 2.4

also based off my info how much do you think i will be paying for my insurance? my dads over 40 with no offences

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can call the insurance company anytime and ask them these things, have your dad call his company and get a quote...maybe you should do this on your own as well, at least look into it, I know when I was your age I was driving a ford probe V6 with no tickets and I was paying 3k or so a year. I wont hurt to call around and ask some questions. You can also check out this site Find Canada?s Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes - Insurance Hotline for quotes and rates.

BW

·
Registered
348 Posts
Insurance rates vary wildly from state to state and province to province. They also vary wildly from company to company so as above, call and get a quote. They ask a few simple questions, and it takes almost no time, and costs nothing to ask.

There is another thread on here where a chunk of us posted our terms/prices... just to give you an idea of how varied it can be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The koup is a nice car, you'll love it! :)

Oh and yeah the other thread (can't seem to find it at the moment) is full of advice. The only thing different here is that this poor guy is actually letting insurance prices effect important decisions!

Seriously, the price difference between a 4-door and 2-door for insurance shouldn't be much, and as KiaTech mentioned, one company might charge less for a 4-door as the accident rates are low, whereas another company might charge more for a 4-door as it's a more expensive car or they might know that the rear doors are an added risk?

As I mentioned in the other blasted thread, it is still an open/competitive market for pricing and if you get some prices from any auto insurance quotes site to haggle with you will be amazed at how things change.

Everyone's saying this works, including me, and it makes sense because they won't give you the best price unless you do some arm twisting and then the reps can say "they came at me with lower prices and was going to walk so I gave them our best deal" without getting in crap.

Bottom line, pick the car you want, worry about the insurance prices later, or not at all since there's only so much you can do. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm a 23 guy(turning 24) and the Koup was my first car of my own also. I own the car and the insurance is in my name. I pay roughly 176 a month and thats for the Koup SX 2.4L.
Now that price is with a discount through my work, however my insurance company offers many deals for graduates of some colleges and universities AND also through A LOT of companies (not sure who you were work for) Anyways the company is TD Meloche Monnex, check em out. Also, yes, the insurance hotline I was referred to many times as well!

And I asked the same questions but I was told, apparently, cosmetic things like colours and accessories don't really effect your rates much really, however engine sizes would because of the cars capability, and sadly the biggest influential factor in the equation would be your sex (M or F) and your age. It sucks but i guess something we all just have to come to terms with.

Anyways good luck, KOUP all the way you'll love it!
Cheers!

·
Registered
587 Posts
In addition to all KoUpKiD905 said, yet another factor is where you live...ie:postal code.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
dude, i went from a ford focus to the koup and my insurance went down 15/month. this car is extremely safe and even tho it is a coup and most coups tend to be sports cars, i honestly dont see your rates going up. im also 20 and love the car. it has 2 more airbags than my old car, comes standard with abs, tcs, and reletivly good crash ratings. my mom works for USAA insurance company and she said kia HAS came a long way since before and it used to be that kia's had higher rates because the rep of their cars always breaking down and weak parts. she said NOW kia has made a new name for themselves and theyre up to par with everyone else. i cant see you insurance being any worse than it is now, maybe even better. and a red car WILL, more than not, get a higher rate. but if you want a red car, who cares, go for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I pay $866 USD every 6 months for full coverage with 500 deductible for a red SX koup. Same as in my 4 door spectra which caught me by surprise. I'm 21 and I too went on my parents policy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
this is my second car with insurance in my name, and it is 102 every two months. thats for the sedan lx. hopefully you'll be lucky like me and get a super low rate too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, since he said "full G license", I assume he's in Ontario. I'm 25 (male) with one minor conviction (speeding under 49 km/h over the limit) and no demerit points.

Belair Direct - $155/month

$2,000,000 liability
$1000 comprehensive/collision
2-year no depreciacion of value if vehicle is a total loss
1st at-fault accident forgiven, 2nd at-fault accident "50-50"
Rental car when needed

This price is with a discount for having winter tires (discount is year round) and for having my condo insurance with them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pay about $1050 USD a year. In Dallas.

Yea, I'm a little (lot) older than you. Rates go down as grey hair count goes up. The rate on this car (2.4SX 6 speed) is less than I was paying for the 05 Spectra. Try and figure that one out.

I pay $866 USD every 6 months for full coverage with 500 deductible for a red SX koup. Same as in my 4 door spectra which caught me by surprise. I'm 21 and I too went on my parents policy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I salute you cause they quoted me well over 1000 for 6 months.
WOW!
even Geico only quoted me $101 a month
my family's been with FB for a while so that may have helped a bit
plus it's the sedan instead of the koup
but damn! over 1000/6 months is a lot of money!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 19 with no accidents or points or moving violations under my parents insurance for my yaris its about $230 a month for full coverage and all. And my yaris is a sedan and its under geico....hopefully it goes down when i get my koup and get older lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm 19 with no accidents or points or moving violations under my parents insurance for my yaris its about $230 a month for full coverage and all. And my yaris is a sedan and its under geico....hopefully it goes down when i get my koup and get older lol
yeah when I turned 19 my insurance went down a bit but when I turned 21 it went down a ton, so you have that to look forward to

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also in Ontario but much older 38 and I am paying $79 per month with a good driving record. I had a buick Rendez vous and was paying more than the Koup SX. Desjardins insurance

·
Registered
645 Posts
$706 a year for me,but i'm 46,i am pretty sure i drive faster than most of you young guys,but i never get accidents or tickets,even less chances of tickets now because i use trapster..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts