Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done CAI/SRI mods and experienced stalling under heavy acceleration? I was lined up with a tiberon gt v6, had him beat in first and second, shifted into third, lost all engine power and a warning light briefly appeared and disappeared. It went on and off too fast for me to get a good look at it. My first thought was rev limiter, but I was up-shifting so rpm's should drop. Second thought was a stall due to too much air. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Your car is telling you not to race lol... 3rd gear has always been crappy in-respect to power/torque, but looks like the engine went into limp mode for a brief second maybe???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be...I'll just skip third next time;) I would like to get some track time in...just to see what the numbers actually are, but not if the engine is going to take a nap between gears.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Can you chirp the tires in 3rd gear? (Or maybe wheel hop off a manhole cover) If you can the traction control light might've come on, and as we know traction control bogs you down. Other wise maybe a vacuum leak.

If it went into limp mode, the light would definitely stay on and you would be in rough shape until you turned off and then turned back on your car (CEL would still be there).

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Wingzero makes a good point. My car had a "limp-mode" moment a while back and wouldn't pass 3,000 RPM. Turned off the car then on, it was back to normal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wonder if this happens only with the Koups and if the civic has the same issues as us; cause I noticed a trend of post regarding mechanical issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you chirp the tires in 3rd gear? (Or maybe wheel hop off a manhole cover) If you can the traction control light might've come on, and as we know traction control bogs you down. Other wise maybe a vacuum leak.

If it went into limp mode, the light would definitely stay on and you would be in rough shape until you turned off and then turned back on your car (CEL would still be there).
The car recovered quickly, I didn't have to stop and restart. Maybe it was the traction control. I was @ 40mph when I shifted, nowhere near redline. I can get a squeak out of third gear. Maybe I'll try w/o traction control and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Did you hear any popping noise from the engine area when it lost power for a second or two?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No noises, just loss of power. I turned off the traction control after work and wow...it was like driving a different car. I never realized how much the TC sucked on the power. Better acceleration and better launching out of 1st. I'll have to keep a close eye on it to see if it happens again. The SRI was the only major mod I'd done so I figured it was the culprit but maybe not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.