Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother got his Forte SX Koup (6sp) in the spring, and I told him I was going to mock up an intake pipe for him as I have dealt with a guy that does custom aliminum piping. So it is 3 inch piping with a 85 degree bend on one end and a 65 degree bend on the other. There are 2 vacuum hose hooks, as I notice some of the forte's (automatics?) seem to have two. And I had 3 made up.

(With the same long neck K&N filter, the piping can be used as a full CAI as it is just long enough to get to the opening. However the brother decided he wanted a extended SRI instead, so he removed the 2nd bend. )

So anyways it is finished and installed and it couldn't have turned out better. Parts used: 1 of the Pipes with the 65 degree bend removed, a 2.5 to 3 inch silicon reducer, hose clamps, 3 inch filter, vacuum hose, and a plug for the second vacuum hose hookup.

Here are some pics:
The custom piping

Raw parts before the vacuum hose was trimmed

Randoms:

I think it turned out pretty good, very rarely something works the first time. So I will probably end up selling off the extra two pipes if anyone is interested. I will get him to get me a sound clip.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
looks good. especially for something completely custom.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Getting the piping perfect, I thought was going to be the hard part. But it was fairly simple, just gave the guy my rough numbers and angles and it all worked out. I wished my brother would installed it as a CAI just to show the fitament. But he wanted the SRI as we get a lot of snow up here in eastern Canada.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thanks. Getting the piping perfect, I thought was going to be the hard part. But it was fairly simple, just gave the guy my rough numbers and angles and it all worked out. I wished my brother would installed it as a CAI just to show the fitament. But he wanted the SRI as we get a lot of snow up here in eastern Canada.
I don't think you get snow year round right? SRI winter and CAI summer is the better solution. I would just go stock winter though maybe with a K&N filter, don't need the extra oomf on icy roads.

Why does the first pic show two bends at either end and what you have installed only has one bend?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The 2nd bend was cut off, as he didn't want a CAI. I have had enough cars with intakes on them to know there is a negligible difference between a CAI and SRI. So extending the pipe in the summer months just to have a few more intakes of pipe isn't going to give you anything extra.
Besides extra air. Having your cone right next to the radiator incoming air which blows hot will reduce the amount of air you are pulling in due to heat. There is a benefit between hot air and cold air.

·
Registered
733 Posts
nice job man,
I would do this but i already got a sick CAI setup on mine
and dont listen to Mfury on air intakes, the more air your engine can suck in easier is better, doesnt matter that its behind the radiator as long as its not sucking in flaming hot air your good

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
yeah there's no benefit to cold or cool air, it's all a big myth on the laws of physics with cold air being more dense than warm or hot air. Stupid scientists know nothing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
im not saying that cold air doesnt help your motor but unless you have the cone of your air intake on the outside of the car sucking in nice cool air when your driving it doesnt matter where you put the CAI in the engine bay of the forte as long as it has an easier time sucking in air you'll gain HP
Plus your acting like cold air is the thing that gives you the 5-10 hp gain when it probably gives you at the max 1 hp gain

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks "The Kia Guy". I don't pay attention to lot of what people say here. Apparently we fail physics, but Fury loses at grade two logic.

The difference between behind and beside.

Well anyways, enough being smug. If you guys want to turn my thread into a pissy match, please use PM. I am always willing to entertain PMs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
lol XD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts