Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new on the forums and saw and read all the different types of intake set ups u guys used, even the turbokits cai kit, and I was gonna ask wouldn't the stock intake system from the factory be the must efficent one out there? Since the koup sx has a ram air and there's actual air being ramed in under wind pressure and also the ecu gets full cooling and the air filter is incased in the airbox so no engine heat would be sucked thru the intake? Just my thoughts guys.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey guys I'm new on the forums and saw and read all the different types of intake set ups u guys used, even the turbokits cai kit, and I was gonna ask wouldn't the stock intake system from the factory be the must efficent one out there? Since the koup sx has a ram air and there's actual air being ramed in under wind pressure and also the ecu gets full cooling and the air filter is incased in the airbox so no engine heat would be sucked thru the intake? Just my thoughts guys.
First off Welcome. And as for the intake system....Aftermarket intakes provide a less constrictive air flow to the engine. Also the factory intake system will not be as loud as the aftermarket ones that are available. There are dyno sheets showing an increase in horsepower for aftermarket intakes. I am not an engineer and don't claim to be but the dyno doesn't lie!!!!! Not to mention they look better IMO. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
To me the factory intake looks like it would draw in plenty of air. It seems the problem might be the filter box is so far back. I think shortening the factory system with a filter box more in line rather than so far back in the engine would be a good solution.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since the koup sx has a ram air and there's actual air being ramed in under wind pressure and also the ecu gets full cooling and the air filter is incased in the airbox so no engine heat would be sucked thru the intake?
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think that plastic airbox is doing much to insulate the air. There's plenty of heat under the hood. If the airbox and all the piping were insulated, then maybe it would be cooler, but that's not the case.

Has anyone ever tried to insulate all that stuff under the hood that carries input air? Too impracticle?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm yeah cause when I 1st popped the hood I saw the ram air and the 1st thing I thought of in my head was a ws6 trans am ls1 LOL hahaha

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Just slapping on a CAI does not gain HP...if memory serves me right AEM's (could have been another company) first attempt at a CAI for the Forte provided no HP gains on their dyno test. Also the factory set up provides a small amount of pressurized air the faster you're going -- a dyno test will not provide supporting data for this since you can't recreate the air pressure it gets at 70 MPH on the front of the car while sitting on a dynomometer...LoL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just slapping on a CAI does not gain HP...if memory serves me right AEM's (could have been another company) first attempt at a CAI for the Forte provided no HP gains on their dyno test. Also the factory set up provides a small amount of pressurized air the faster you're going -- a dyno test will not provide supporting data for this since you can't recreate the air pressure it gets at 70 MPH on the front of the car while sitting on a dynomometer...LoL
Well said bud. That's what I was trying to say. Besides I tryed the cone filter on the stock intake tube and removed the top cover of the airbox and honestly it sounds nice when accelerating but I also noticed slugish low end torque. So I put the stock cover back on and put it back to stock and with the stock ram air intake it seems to have torquer more snappy off line pick up compared to the cone filter.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Well said bud. That's what I was trying to say. Besides I tryed the cone filter on the stock intake tube and removed the top cover of the airbox and honestly it sounds nice when accelerating but I also noticed slugish low end torque. So I put the stock cover back on and put it back to stock and with the stock ram air intake it seems to have torquer more snappy off line pick up compared to the cone filter.
Hearing the intake sucking in air -- the noise factor -- has a way of making you think a car is faster. The intake on a car is often referred to as a silencer...for good reason...LoL!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The factory intake isn't ram airing if you look where it is actually coming in it is under the lip of the hood. The hood would be deflecting any direct air and bugs (good thing) from directly entering the intake. You would have to cut out part of the front lip of the hood so it doesn't block the air to get that ram air and would also have to clean your filter more often since bugs and small rocks would start collecting in the intake. The factory tubing is not as smooth as aftermarket (air flow restriction), this is more than likely to reduce intake noise (baffling like the AC in buildings). I can bog out my EX with factory intake on launch easily but when I slap in my TK CAI it actually launches instead of bogging out. Not sure what you did wrong when you installed your CAI if you notice less performance. The TK dyno shows across the powerband an increase in performance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hearing the intake sucking in air -- the noise factor -- has a way of making you think a car is faster. The intake on a car is often referred to as a silencer...for good reason...LoL!
Yup. I know some decent knowledge on engines cause my family owned a auto repair shop but my dad retired and closed it down, but anyway my dad always said like aftermarket performance parts are always trying to make people buy their products even if its either the wrong cfm or just plan old advertisment. Sure these parts will benefit your engine but its gotta be highly moded. I'm also into bikes and tryed in the past to modifiy the air intakes but the bikes would run slower and bog tryn to accelerate. Ya just need to have an engine to be properly tuned with the proper air fuel and spark to put down the power and efficency.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Not to be annoying again lol but I know a guy that had 99 civic si b16 and he put all this stuff like intake manifold, bigger throttle body, cold air intake, header, cat back and then went to the track and ran a 16.1 1/4mile when a stock si runs a 15.8 Well people say its cause he needs a driver mod I'm like its a lil more than a driver mod more like to much bs bolt ups for a stock internal and stock port head b16. Lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Good story for crappy aftermarket setup. Only use proven dyno graphed aftermarket components instead of anything you can buy that will bolt on. Unless you have a lot of cash and like to be a guinea pig.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good story for crappy aftermarket setup. Only use proven dyno graphed aftermarket components instead of anything you can buy that will bolt on. Unless you have a lot of cash and like to be a guinea pig.
Yup don't know what parts he used but yuck Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts