Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if its possible to change the overhead lights in the interior to some nice bright LED's instead of the crappy stock yellowish bulbs.

And if it is possible, how hard do you figure it is to change them??

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
well, it was easy for me(i watched a guy put em in my koup). i went to nextmod(Nextmod) in Markham and bought some LED's for the maplights(that's what you're talkin about right?) and he took a couple minutes to do it after I asked him ......i didn't wanna mess with stuff since I had no idea how they're fastened in.......i'm sure he'd changed lots of LED's before. got some red LED's for $12 each there.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
There are a few posts already about changing your map & dome lights to LEDs. Do some searching and I'm
Sure you will find what you need. You can simply swap them with 31mm festoon bulbs. Search for bulb size and you find the listings with all
Bulbs sizes etc

·
Registered
144 Posts
On the Koup, flip the glasses holder down and then you can pull the lens off the light by putting your thumb on the lens near the windshield and using your fingertips pry it off. If you have the bulbs with you, you can install both sides within a minute, depending if you have to switch the bulbs around. Test it with the cover off. If it doesn't work flip the LED 180* then it should work. Install the lens.
31mm festoon bulbs. The bulbs I have are 4 LED's, and fit fine. You may be able to get larger ones with 6 LED's.

This is probably the FASTEST mod you can do, and it gives a sweet look in the dark.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, it was easy for me(i watched a guy put em in my koup). i went to nextmod(Nextmod) in Markham and bought some LED's for the maplights(that's what you're talkin about right?) and he took a couple minutes to do it after I asked him ......i didn't wanna mess with stuff since I had no idea how they're fastened in.......i'm sure he'd changed lots of LED's before. got some red LED's for $12 each there.
yeah im talking the dome lights, how much did they charge you to install them at nextmod?

and how does that red look??

and whats a festoon bulb, is it just like a brighter bulb thats similar to an LED??

and..

and..

thats enough grilling for you

·
Registered
248 Posts
RED = SEX.
i offered the guy $5 for his trouble, but he said just buy somethin else at his store some other time.
didn't cost me for him to install.
RED isn't the brightest of the colours, but looks SEXY at night.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RED = SEX.
i offered the guy $5 for his trouble, but he said just buy somethin else at his store some other time.
didn't cost me for him to install.
RED isn't the brightest of the colours, but looks SEXY at night.

Well thats what the backseat is for, so I might as well add to the mood with a little splash of red LEDs, sounds good I think im going to try it out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i'm sure if you searched interior led's on the forum here you'd find some pics somewhere....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i think i wanna try to do this myself,

few questions:

where can i buy some red ones, and you said they come in 4 or 6 LED sets, so I want the brighest ones i can get that are safe to use with this car, so will the 6 ones fit or should i stay with a 4??

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
so can you explain how to open the lens for the maplights and trunk?
Go to the KGIS site and download the latest owners manual it has the instructions on how to open each lens to replace the bulbs. The front and trunk are easy.

Front just open the glasses holder and pop the lens off.

Trunk there's a tab you press in and pull the lens out.

Rear you need a thin strong blade. Pry on the side nearest the switch 3/4cm away from the switch on the left and right to release the tabs. The lens will just fall out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go to the KGIS site and download the latest owners manual it has the instructions on how to open each lens to replace the bulbs. The front and trunk are easy.

Front just open the glasses holder and pop the lens off.

Trunk there's a tab you press in and pull the lens out.

Rear you need a thin strong blade. Pry on the side nearest the switch 3/4cm away from the switch on the left and right to release the tabs. The lens will just fall out.
thanks, i knew about the trunk but the maplights seemed tricky.

also, are these led panels hard to find locally? id rather not order online at the moment so i was looking into getting them store direct. I guess im talking about a major auto store or something along those lines...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts