Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm not picking up my Koup until mid March, my choice I don't want to expose it to Ottawa's winter weather. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has used their iPhone to play music through the sound system and if the phone still functions properly. That has been a problem in the past with some of the interesting iPod docks, the phone switches to airplane mode. I'm hoping it won't be an issue in this case because the audio is transferred through the headphone jack, not the dock connector.

I bought a stock Kia iPod cable on eBay for $22 USD should anyone be looking for a deal. I know there are cheaper ones but this is the Kia/Hyundi factory part and I figured it was worth a couple more dollars for the real deal.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I only use my i-phone as a phone in the car with the Bluetooth hands free built in which works great. I use the usb and a tiny 4GB usb stick and throw a couple hundred songs on it. I find it to have quicker access playing a song than through the i-phone and my phone can stay in my pocket the whole time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've used my iPhone with the headphone connector and all it does is play through the stereo. You obviously have no display on the stereo of what song is playing, or have any control over the iPhone through the stereo.

With the Kia cable, you will get the display of what song you are listening to, can browse your iPhone's list of songs, and you will be able to change the track, view playlists, etc. If you want to use the iPod part of the phone, the Kia cable is definitely worth it.

As MFury says, you will still use the Bluetooth handsfree to control the phone part of your iPhone. If you are rocking out to music on your iPhone via the headphone jack or the Kia connector and a call comes in, since you are synched with the Bluetooth on the car, the song will be paused and you will hear a ringing over your speakers indicating that you have a call. You will see the caller's name or number (whatever is programmed into your iPhone's contact list) on the stereo display and can answer the call with the Answer button on the steering wheel. When the call ends, your song on the iPhone will continue where it left off playing. Slick setup really.

I've actually gotten away from using my iPhone as an iPod in the car and put a bunch of songs on a USB stick that stays in my car plugged in. You can see all of the song names, artists and album title and you can change tracks and everything via the steering wheel or stereo. It's free (other than buying a USB key but who doesn't have one these days) and I think that the Kia iPod cable is pretty pricey at $40.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is good to know. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the car.

Nadeem
I really researched it before buying. I'm extremely happy with my decision to buy the Forte and I'm sure that you will be very happy with the car too. One of the most used features for me is the Bluetooth and the stereo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I did a lot of research on the the car but from a mechanical standpoint, not so much about the bells and whistles. Now that I'm waiting for the car to arrive (and winter to depart) I want to learn about the more interesting parts.

I like the idea of a USB stick for music, easy to leave it there all the time, no issues with it getting cold or damp (I've accidentally laundered two of them and they're still working) and if it gets stolen it's no big deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ya, I'm a bells and whistles kind of guy. I looked into all of the gadgets and gizmos that come standard on the SX. Some other nice features that you may not know about are the Sirius satellite, heated seats, trip computer (shows how many kms till empty, temp, fuel economy, etc), auto climate control (only in Canada, everything is digital and it is much nicer than the regular one, even shows outside temp!), windshield wiper de-icer, and many others.

The USB key has replaced my iPhone/iPod because of the fact that it's always plugged in and I don't worry about it.

Enjoy your new car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts