Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm totally happy with my wheels I got but I've noticed one thing since I had them installed. I'm noticing a slight vibration in my steering wheel now. Kind of like it's vibrating left and right. It doesn't pull out of alignment or anything. Whats the probability that it's from having wheels on and is there anything I can do about it????

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
"Wheel balancing is a must anytime tires are mounted on wheels. The wheel may also require rebalancing if a tire has been dismounted for repair.

Wheel balancing provides a smoother ride by minimizing tire vibration and bounce. This helps improve traction, steering control and extends the life of your tires. But no matter how carefully wheels and tires are balanced, they will eventually lose their balance. As the tread wears, the distribution of weight around the circumference of a tire changes altering the balance of the tire and wheel assembly. Eventually the tire may have to be rebalanced because only 1/4 ounce of imbalance can produce a noticeable vibration."

Wheel Balancing

·
Registered
346 Posts
They may not be balanced properly. Also, did the installer torque them on or use and air wrench? Those air wrenches can sometimes put out so much torque they can warp your rotors. Both problems can cause vibrations. Usually the balance vibration would be more noticeable at highway speed and the rotors being warped would cause a shake when braking.

Another thing is you want to have the wheels re-torqued after driving them for a little bit to make sure no lug nuts have loosened up.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Go to a shop with a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine. Cost a little more, but you can't balance a tire/wheel combo any better than this machine GOOGLE IT

also....what brand tires/rims do you have. Many less expensive wheel and tire companies do not balance the products to as high a tolerance as the pricier ones do....hence why they are cheaper

2,213 Posts
You have the same tires as you did from the previous rims? I know when I changed my tires over to toyos, i had to get used to them cause they auto correct them selves. It's weird, they always want to stay straight, so you hit a bump, the wheel goes in the direction of the bump, but then puts it self straight again. Pretty much don't have to hold the steering wheel after a bump any more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It depends what kind of vibration,if it's a very slight one,could be done by the threads of your tires,especially at low speed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They may not be balanced properly. Also, did the installer torque them on or use and air wrench? Those air wrenches can sometimes put out so much torque they can warp your rotors. Both problems can cause vibrations. Usually the balance vibration would be more noticeable at highway speed and the rotors being warped would cause a shake when braking.

Another thing is you want to have the wheels re-torqued after driving them for a little bit to make sure no lug nuts have loosened up.
Tires came prebalanced from wheelfire.com. I had my mechanic check the balance on the first one that went on the car for free and he said he couldn't get it any better. They did torque them down with a torque wrench but now that I think about it I don't know how many pounds of torque they used. Is there a specific torque for our cars or is it by wheel?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It depends what kind of vibration,if it's a very slight one,could be done by the threads of your tires,especially at low speed.
Yes it's very slight...Not bad at all but I guess it's the fact that it's a new car, new wheels why I am concerned. Everything up front should be nice and tight. My car had no alignment issues...brakes good...I had wheels on other cars but they were fairly old, probably everything loosened up over time so I figured that's why the ride was a little harsher. I had vibration then but it was pretty bad.....

·
Registered
973 Posts
75 ft/lbs torque
if they didn't know the specific spec, I would assume they would do 80, which would be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
possibly air pressure? i had a slight wobble last year and i redid all the pressure and it alleviated it for the most part.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called my mechanic and he said that he did do the wheels at 75 lbs of torque....I was actually thinking about the air pressure yesterday. I have looked online at several sites and can't seem to get a definite air pressure...I've seen 30, 35, 38, 40....Is that also by tire or is there a specific you go by. I see a max air pressure thing on the tire but that doesn't mean that's what it should be at....I want to say 35 would be normal but I am not completely sure!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I called my mechanic and he said that he did do the wheels at 75 lbs of torque....I was actually thinking about the air pressure yesterday. I have looked online at several sites and can't seem to get a definite air pressure...I've seen 30, 35, 38, 40....Is that also by tire or is there a specific you go by. I see a max air pressure thing on the tire but that doesn't mean that's what it should be at....I want to say 35 would be normal but I am not completely sure!
32 psi cold, if you just drove it a good ways or its REALLY hot out there then 35 will be pretty normal. If you got nitrogen fill, should read 32 or very close because nitrogen isn't affected by the heat as much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i say you unmount them and mount them back on make sure they are straight and tighten them not one a time do one on the top then the one across from it and then so forth tighten all them about the same and you should be fine but make sure you keep the wheel straight at all times while doing it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.