Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to mount some tweeters to my door using 3M double sided tape. Normally this tape holds most things but I can't seem to get it to stick my tweeters, after about 10 minutes they fall off. I have thoroughly cleaned the mounting area with white spirits.
Is there a better tape on the market that I can use, I know the tape that came with my K badges really sticks well.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Couple things

Did you ever use armor all on the surface you are sticking to?

What part if the door are you attaching to?

3m has a product made for their automotive tapes called adhesion promoter which is design for hard to stick plastics.

Is the tape not ticking to the door or the tweeter?

·
Registered
318 Posts
not really lol i senn stop signs being held on with the stuff. depends on how chea you got it for i guess i used the cheap stuff and more expensive and the expensive stuff worked better... go figure haha

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just did a bit of research and found that there are different grades of Double Sided tape, I was only using the everyday standard grade. Theres an industrial one that is stronger similar to this Scotch tape

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
and like d113 said-
surfaces, stuff on the surfaces and so on- make such a big differnce to "stickability"

are you trying to attach those tweeters to the grill where the originals tweeters are located? (seen a few pictures of add on tweeters done that way over on the singapore site- all i gotta say to that is- wow- cheesy looking)

so really- where are you trying to paste those tweeters at?
who knows? perhaps we folks can help you out here :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just did a bit of research and found that there are different grades of Double Sided tape, I was only using the everyday standard grade. Theres an industrial one that is stronger similar to this Scotch tape
Sounds to me like you are using some sort of household type tape. If so you need to get the automotive grade stuff that is used to attach body side mouldings, etc.

EG: 3M? Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape, 06384, Black, 1/2 in x 5 yd, 45 mil, 12 per case

Don't know if that link will work - kinda long.

If not, Google 3M 06384

I have used this to mount spoilers and rocker panels. It's not cheap - that size roll runs about $12-$14 CDN if memory serves me well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts