Kia Forte Forum banner

Is this normal?

1488 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Oleksandr_Shevchenko
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Gas

Liquid Fluid Drinkware Solution Drink

About 1100 miles ago, I installed a catch can from Sxth element, and this is what I caught today. Mostly gasoline and water, and little oil. I did not expect this much in the blowby. My GT only has 3538 miles, so almost new. Has anyone else have similar results?
Also, when I was driving home from work this morning, I smell faint amount of gasoline after 20 miles (which is the distance of my one way trip)
See less See more
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
The photo in the original post doesn't look normal to me at all. My oil catch can has always caught oil. I just emptied mine after a few thousand miles (not really sure, just a guess since I don't empty it that often). I have a 2014 Forte5 Ex with 62,000 miles now. I've had a Tork Motorsports tune since May 2019 (at 49,000 miles). I added my catch can at the same time I had the tune done.
Drinkware Tableware Cup Dishware Serveware
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
The only way it should look like the OP's photo is if the car sits out in the weather all the time and the local temperatures fluctuate a lot with extreme humidity - like when you come out and the car is completely covered in dew. However, it's hard to believe it could get that much moisture in the crankcase to cause that.
Reactions: 2
I just washed my car and while cleaning under the hood I drained the catch can - Just over 1000 miles:

Camera lens Automotive lighting Camera accessory Automotive tire Point-and-shoot camera

Note: The orange look of the catch can threads is reflection of my red shirt I was wearing - not corrosion or moisture.
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
The only way it should look like the OP's photo is if the car sits out in the weather all the time and the local temperatures fluctuate a lot with extreme humidity - like when you come out and the car is completely covered in dew. However, it's hard to believe it could get that much moisture in the crankcase to cause that.
Thats probably it. I guess theres a lot of petrol vapours in my crankcase because the catch can contents smell like gasoline. My coolant and oil both look the way they should. I drive kinda hard a lot, but idk if that has anything to do with it.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.