Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I hope I am posting this in the correct place. This is a repair/maintenance question I hope someone will be able to answer. First off, I have a 2013 Kia Forte EX sedan. I bought the car from one previous (leased) owner and it had 52,800 miles then. I’ve had the car for two years now and my odometer is at 89,650, I drive a lot. Throughout the past two years, I have not had any major issues with the vehicle. I’ve been super strict with timely oil and filter changes, fluids, tire balancing/rotations, and other general maintenance. Yet, there are two issues that keep occurring in what seems like every few months that can’t keep the car out of the mechanic. Over a year ago, my passenger sway bar link (front) busted and I had it repaired. Six months or so later, my driver side front link went out, and I fixed it. Then, last month, I noticed the same clunking noise I was all too familiar with when I was at residential speed over small bumps and crevices in the road, which sounds exactly like a broken link. My mechanic, however, inspected my suspension once I told him and said all four front and back links were intact and the overall suspension was in good shape. Yet, that noise sounds very familiar. Should I get another opinion?
My second recurring issue which is driving me up the walls is the serpentine belt. I had it replaced once at around 65000 miles (which would be standard maintenance, no big deal), but then around 10-15,000 miles later, it started squeaking again, and I replaced it once more. 5,000 more miles after that, I again heard the noise, and my mechanic tried replacing the belt with a new OEM Kia belt the car originally had instead of dayco. It worked great, until I got out of work today and started the car, when I was greeted with the same old squeaking. It seems to occur only on cold startups and goes away after 2-5 minutes of driving.
My mechanic inspected the idler pulley and tensioner, and said they did not need replacement. Yet, there is no reason an 800 mile old belt should be bad yet again.
I do love this car, but these two issues have been driving me crazy. I can’t seem to lock them down for good. I apologize for the super long post, but if anyone bothers to read the whole thing, I would be in great gratitude for advice.
thank you!

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
For the end links which brand did you use? I've noticed over the many years and many replacements of end links that that is one part that I will only use OEM parts to replace. I've used many different aftermarket ones, from the cheapie $10 ones to Moog (supposed to be very good), etc and they usually last anywhere from a few months to just over a year. Replaced with OEM and I'm going on 3 years now without needing replacement. Anyhoo, for the noise you're having, I had the exact same issue a while back, and it was the sway bar bushings. It was very difficult to diagnose because they were still fairly tight without much play; my mechanic even advised me not to change them cuz they looked fine, but I did anyways and the noise was gone. It could also be balljoints as well.

For the belt, mine squeaks every morning also, more so when it has rained or when it's cold, and I'm going to first try a belt dressing. If that doesn't fix it, I'll clean all idles and pulleys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the end links which brand did you use? I've noticed over the many years and many replacements of end links that that is one part that I will only use OEM parts to replace. I've used many different aftermarket ones, from the cheapie $10 ones to Moog (supposed to be very good), etc and they usually last anywhere from a few months to just over a year. Replaced with OEM and I'm going on 3 years now without needing replacement. Anyhoo, for the noise you're having, I had the exact same issue a while back, and it was the sway bar bushings. It was very difficult to diagnose because they were still fairly tight without much play; my mechanic even advised me not to change them cuz they looked fine, but I did anyways and the noise was gone. It could also be balljoints as well.

For the belt, mine squeaks every morning also, more so when it has rained or when it's cold, and I'm going to first try a belt dressing. If that doesn't fix it, I'll clean all idles and pulleys.
Thank you so much for the input! Are either of these issues urgent? I do need my car for the first part of this upcoming week. I’m gonna swing by the mechanic towards the end of the week to ask them to replace the bushings. But I’m thinking it’s safe to drive, these issues seem more like an annoyance than imminent threat. Am I foolish to think so?

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
Thank you so much for the input! Are either of these issues urgent? I do need my car for the first part of this upcoming week. I’m gonna swing by the mechanic towards the end of the week to ask them to replace the bushings. But I’m thinking it’s safe to drive, these issues seem more like an annoyance than imminent threat. Am I foolish to think so?
Luckily neither of those issues are urgent. I'm not saying it's 100% certain that it's your sway bar bushings, but if it sounds exactly like the loose end link, there's a good possibility. Like I said, it could be the ball joint or even a shock mount, etc. Unless it sounds really bad like something is about to fall off of the car, it's perfectly fine to continue driving it.

Let us know when you've gotten it checked and post back here what the source of the noise was. :)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
The fact replacing the belt seems to fix it temporarily makes me believe the tensioner can be getting weak (if its an automatic tensioner). Pulleys can also be dirty, and might be worth cleaning them like said above. Years of belts wearing on them can leave beside a slick residue, sand paper is a good way to remove this, however this is usually only an issue on belts that have loads on them (I.E the accessories and these are usually grooved to help with bite, but can still get slick).

The bearings in the accessories (alternator, ac compressor, water pump, power steering pump if applicable) can and do go bad, causing squeaking as well (while rare)

If it were me, id start by removing the belt and inspecting all of the pulleys myself, including the accessories, and maybe sanding them if got sandpaper on hand and they're relatively easy to get to. (obviously replacing faulty if found, and I know you said your mechanic looked at them, but its never harmful to get a second opinion, or see for yourself). And if its cheap enough, it might be worth getting a "serpentine tune-up" i like to call it on higher mileage cars when doing a belt change...basically replacing all of the pulleys in the accessory drive, besides the accessories themselves cause they're expensive (unless deemed the cause of the noise), the tensioner, and belt...they're all gonna wear out eventually, might as well do it all in one shot if its worth the cost. On some cars its surprisingly cheap to do using oem quality (Gates, Dayco, AC Delco), on others not so much.

Sorry if not helpful, that's just my 2-cents and what I would do and look into personally. Belt squeaking is not always easy to find the culprit too lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice! Oddly enough, the belt squeal has completely disappeared. For the last three days, even on cold starts, there is not a peep from the belt. I’m going in for a brake job on Monday, so I told them to check the suspension for issues because of the rattle. Although, I haven’t heard that the last couple of days either. There’s been a ton of snow where I live this winter, and the roads are rough and loaded with debris and salt, so I wonder if anything got caught in my wheels that may have caused that. Nevertheless, I’m still getting it checked just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts