Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my car is a koup sx 2.4l MT

since like a month or so Ive seen my bad fuel economy getting worst and ever more so I decided to not doing anything I was like ah damn weather and its getting colder .. so after some time I decided to pull out my k&n filter that's was in the car since like 15 000kms

and THIS wow

Ive never seen an air filter THAT dirty after only 15 000kms, is that normal ??
I really wanted to show you guys because the minutes I put a brand new oem one my fuel average started to go lower and lower and my performances feel to be a little bit better so im very happy about that now its not just because of the weather! so lets check this guys !

the first thing that come to my mind is a cold air intake, what it will be if the stock air box like me getting all this dirt inside !

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's why we clean them. Seriously that's about average for a 15,000 km filter. The factory one looks that bad, too. Actually worse, because it's white so it shows 'everything' really nicely.

Give it a wash and re-oil, and it'll be good as new all over again. I keep my OEM filter for use while the filter is drying, so I have something to use while the K&N is getting it's service.

·
Registered
318 Posts
just spray it our with the hose and let it dry then oil it...

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I had my K&N Filter and I wanted to clean it, I would fill up the sink with warm soapy water and some degreaser. I would let it sit for a while to soak. Then I would dip it in and out of the water quite a few times to release any debris. I would then use the faucet sprayer and goto town cleaning out the rest of the debris.

I would let it sit outside in the sun if it was warm out or place it near the registers in the house when it was cold, to expedite the drying process. Once it was completely dry I oiled it with K&N filter oil. Good as new!!!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
LoL!!! Why would you complain about the dirt on a filter? Seriously, if the filter didn't catch the dirt where do you think it would go? It's not the filter's fault it got dirty...it's doing the job you want it to...LoL!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did its job!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok That's was weird because on my old mazda 3 gt 2008 my filter was almost like brand new after 40 000kms and over :p

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
ok That's was weird because on my old mazda 3 gt 2008 my filter was almost like brand new after 40 000kms and over :p
I'd be willing to bet that the oil on the K&N filter is catching the very fine brake dust your Mazda's engine was ingesting with the dry air filter...LoL! That's probably why it looks black -- brake dust. Think about how dirty the wheels get from brake dust in just a week...now imagine that the wheel only catches 10% of the brake dust...the rest of every car's brake dust is blowing around someplace...LoL!

·
Registered
283 Posts
my first move...

need to adjust the water hose position(got it lowered,first picture on bottom)and take out the OEM filter

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not sure if that's the best idea. You are defeating the purpose of the stock air intake by adding the filter there. Instead of pulling cool air from the front of the car it's getting it from in front of the engine where it is hotter. Better off with the drop on filter or changing to a Sri or cai with that filter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure if that's the best idea. You are defeating the purpose of the stock air intake by adding the filter there. Instead of pulling cool air from the front of the car it's getting it from in front of the engine where it is hotter. Better off with the drop on filter or changing to a Sri or cai with that filter.

maybe yes ,maybe no...is high enough to take the air from the same position(don't tell me that the plastic hole in the front was getting the cold air...from outside...look again under the hood...)and with the cold winter morning start,no-time-to-wait traffic...will see i'll go to change the oil next month,anyway after 500 km i feel it smoother,even the speed change is faster and smoother .I'll try to put a thermosensor in the oem air intake too see how hot it is..anyway thanks for the post

·
Registered
430 Posts
my first move...

need to adjust the water hose position(got it lowered,first picture on bottom)and take out the OEM filter
first off... REALLY? come on REALLY? and second your pictures are from 87 years in the future, I'm just pissed we're still using gas.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The factory intake draws directly from the area in front and above the radiator, which is a very nice area for cool air to collect. I have proven in another thread that removing the factory snorkel raises intake temps enough to actually negatively impact your horsepower. Your filter location is, to put it bluntly, a hot mess.

·
Registered
585 Posts
maybe yes ,maybe no...is high enough to take the air from the same position(don't tell me that the plastic hole in the front was getting the cold air...from outside...look again under the hood...)and with the cold winter morning start,no-time-to-wait traffic...will see i'll go to change the oil next month,anyway after 500 km i feel it smoother,even the speed change is faster and smoother .I'll try to put a thermosensor in the oem air intake too see how hot it is..anyway thanks for the post

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
wow how many miles you have on your car buddy ! this engine is so ... dirty :p:D
arround 30k,in construction roads,no time to clean it every day,and wanted un opinion not pissed off-s about my camera date...:mad:

·
Registered
283 Posts
not a pro-cars so i found this

"A warm air intake or WAI is a system to decrease the amount of the air going into a car for the purpose of increasing the fuel economy of the internal-combustion engine. This term may also be used to describe a short ram air intake, a totally different intake modification.

All warm air intakes operate on the principle of decreasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Warm air from inside the engine bay is used opposed to air taken from the generally more restrictive stock intake. Warmer air is less dense, and thus contains less oxygen to burn fuel in. The car's ECU compensates by opening the throttle wider to admit more air. This, in turn, decreases the resistance the engine must overcome to suck air in. The net effect is for the engine to intake the same amount of oxygen (and thus burn the same amount of fuel, producing the same power) but with less friction losses, allowing for a gain in fuel economy, at the expense of top-end power.

Opposite principle of a cold air intake (CAI) which significantly differs by collecting air from a colder source outside of the engine.

In the extreme, a warm air intake can eliminate the need for a conventional throttle and thus eliminate throttle losses "

want to increase the mileage not the horsepower...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.