Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I want to thank NitroCircus for all his help in my previous thread.

I've been doing a lot of research and had a chance to speak with some friends who are car audio enthusiasts the last few days and went from being a complete noob about amps and subs to where I am now, which still isn't much, lol.

Well, for my listening needs and budget, I'm about 99% sure I'm going with JL's 500/1v2 amp and one 10W6v2 sub.
JL Audio 500/1v2 Amplifiers - Car Audio Amps & Amplifiers
JL Audio 10W6v2 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers

I haven't decided on the enclosure yet but my friends felt a sealed enclosure would fit my musical preferences better (rock/electronica).

I am going to have it professionally installed but it will be some time before I get around to it.

Anyway, still open to opinions...

(btw, NitroCircus, heard nothing but good things about PowerBass products)

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I own two of each of those in my Forte Sedan. I would advise going ported to JL spec as the 10w6v2's are very tight as is, and you will have much more output with a ported box at lower frequencies. My box was built to JL specs, (actually it's two boxes sharing the same piece of lumber up the middle dividing the large box in two.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own two of each of those in my Forte Sedan. I would advise going ported to JL spec as the 10w6v2's are very tight as is, and you will have much more output with a ported box at lower frequencies. My box was built to JL specs, (actually it's two boxes sharing the same piece of lumber up the middle dividing the large box in two.
Enclosures are still somewhat of a mystery to me. Where could I get the perfect box specs for this sub? How much would it cost to have that type of box custom made?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Box specs are located in the woofer's manual

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7954.pdf

You may wish instead to purchase this ready-made product. It was the first box I had, and it was almost as loud as my double 10w6's in the current box. Problem is that this box adds more to the cost.

JL Audio HO110R-W6v2 Subwoofer systems

...actually....
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/sear...ct_id=16627&product_name=JL+Audio+HO110R-W6v2

is actuallty cheaper than the woofer alone!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/sear...oduct_id=4009&product_name=JL+Audio+10W6v2-D4

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, basically they're paying you to take the box!
That is actually perfect. Then I won't have to worry about getting a box custom made.

So, you feel that ported is better. I don't care how loud and earth shaking the sound is. I want sound quality and accuracy.
Can you explain why this box JL Audio HO110R-W6v2 (ho110rw6v2) - Non-Amplified, Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure Systems - Sonic Electronix would be better than this box JL Audio CVS110RG-W6v2 (cvs110rgw6v2) - Non-Amplified, Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure Systems - Sonic Electronix in that respect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I glad I could help you somewhat, I hope I did anyways lol. I can't wait until you get your stuff installed, I wanna see pics when the time comes!!! :p

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
You are correct in regards to the differences in box type. But , remember that sealed boxes are only referred to as sq because they are much flatter than potted boxes. Jl's ho box is still quite small, since it's the 10". The problem with sealed boxes and 10 inch woofers is their inability to play very low notes. Sealed boxes tend to roll off near the bottom on tens because the sub itself is less efficient at these frequencies due to the sheer lack of air-moving ability of such a small surface area. The ho bix capitalizes on this by taking potted technology, and enhancing it by being a near perfect box. I you imagine that a 60hz sine wave is x feet long, the ho box takes the energy off the back of the woofer, adds length to the distance that teae backwavea travel and forces them back out the front effectively coupling them with woofers own front firing waves. The box's rear surface angle is not only designed to fit snuggly against a slanted rear seat, but it also helps different length soundwaves reflect and exit at a length that puts them back in phase with the front firing sound. While there likely isn't 12 feet of port length for a 60hz soundwaves, it's harmonics (directly related waves) may in fact now be in phase. Long story short, I believe a ported box will suit your musical tastes better than sealed as the lower notes will add a larger presence o your lower frequencies. That combined with fact that 500 watts rms is quite overpowering whenused with he stock speakers, you will likely have a very good setup.

That being said, you will still be very happy with a sealed box, and have some extra moneyn left over

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, awesome info and that does make sense. Now, even with my music tastes of rock and electronica (I never listen to rap, hip-hop, ect) you feel I would enjoy that music more with a ported 10? Do I need to be able to play notes that low with that kind of music?

If the answer is still yes for the 10W6v2 in the JL-HO box, what do you think of it compared to a 12W6v2 in a sealed JL box? (they are both very similar in size and price)?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16627_JL+Audio+HO110R-W6v2.html
compared to
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20984_JL+Audio+CVS112RG-W6v2.html

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Best thing to do is go to your local shop that sells jl. Tell them you are trying decide between a bunch of options. They may have one of each in stock. If they do your amp install they may be more than willing to let you try each option once they temp install the amp and then you can go from there. I started with one ten, in a sealed box, then upgraded to the ho, and the difference was night and day. If you take a well recorded rock song as an example... Let's say avenged sevenfold new song Fiction, and played it using both options, you will probably hear a huge difference in how the kick drum sounds. I would bet that the kick with a sealed box would give you a very studio sounding kick, whereas the ported adds so much depth to the sous making it sound like you are listening to them live! The fact that you are going to be able to hear and feel notes that are very low at much more audible volumes adds a sensation you will
Not experience nearly as much with a sealed box. Like I said before, the 10w6 is incredibly tight as it is, so you'll be getting the best of both worlds, hence why I went with two ported 10s vs 12's which might sound sloppier.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Ps

I apologize for all the spelling mistakes in previous posts, I hate my iPod touch's auto fix and auto complete features!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ps

I apologize for all the spelling mistakes in previous posts, I hate my iPod touch's auto fix and auto complete features!
Haha, no worries. Thanks for all the great info. It's nice to hear it from someone who has had the exact sub and amp I'm looking to buy.

I most likely will be purchasing online first (cost reasons) and then taking them to a shop for installation so I don't know if I'll be able to sample different set ups. I'm not too worried though.

As of right now, I will be going with the HO110R-W6v2 and 500/1v2 amp.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Try to get the shop to match it as you still have to pay for shipping. Also, a shop that installs it and sells you it all is more likely to warranty it with less hassle should something fail.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
sure, why not! if you have access to the frequency boost section of the amp you can use the knob to add a bit for certain types of music that you feel needs it. You can also use it to raise the sub volume when you are listening to things at lower volumes everywhere else.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hey D,

i know this is off topic, but you can reset the ipod touch's dictionary to the original setting. Just in case you forgot :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.