Kia Forte Forum banner

How bad was this decision?

• May have been a bad idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You鈥檙e probably going to regret it!

• You are totally screwed. Good luck idiot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every website said these cars are very reliable. Great review rating. So when I saw an EX with just under 100k for sale for $3k I thought it was a decent value. Test drove it. Everything runs perfectly. Clutch is fantastic. I pay for it. Drive it home. Super excited to start driving this car! Next day I turn it on cold start and I hear this very light ticking sound. So now I鈥檓 on this forum reading HORROR stories about this engine. Is this thing going to explode on me immediately?! On a scale of 1-totally screwed, how bad of a mistake was it to buy this car?! Thanks 馃槶

Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2, Titanium silver metallic.
Maybe because the engines are all made from aluminum, cold starts.

Definitely change the oil & use OEM/factory engine oil filters.

I have ticking in my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2. The volume/ticking has been steady & consistent. No change at all. I do take care of my Kia Forte & hope it lasts me into the 300,000+ miles with only the usual maintenances.
& that I didn't buy one of the ticking grenading Kias.

Registered
Definitely change the oil & use OEM/factory engine oil filters.
I can't agree more. Use OEM Hyundai/Kia filters only. They are high quality and inexpensive. Hyundai/Kia claim the use of non-OEM filters can cause a ticking sound. Get OEM oil filters in bulk from Amazon or eBay for $6 or less a piece.

Lastly, know that the fuel injectors are loud and click as well so it might just be those you are hearing.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

Registered
I own 2010 forte 2.0l. Bought it with 181,000 miles on it. All service records never missed oil change and I'm impressed with it. Added few engine mods for a little xtra kick probably 15-25 more hp. I just hit 226,000 miles and this thing still runs like a rocket and sounds great. K&N oil filter, Castrol Edge 5w-30. Thinking about trans. flush. Any opinion on that ? Not sure about higher mileage flush.

Registered
I have a 2010 Forte EX, still going strong at 420,000 miles. Nothing but routine maintenance. Mobil 1 oil since I bought it at 43,000 miles, in 2011, Fram oil filters. Only thing besides normal routine maintenance was alternator replacement at 317,000 miles, 1 new brake caliper last winter, second rear caliper 2 weeks ago.
Mine's always had a tick when cold also. Still average 33 mpg, highway. About a year ago, started to use between 1 and 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. (7500 mile interval)
Mike in MN

Registered
I own 2010 forte 2.0l. Bought it with 181,000 miles on it. All service records never missed oil change and I'm impressed with it. Added few engine mods for a little xtra kick probably 15-25 more hp. I just hit 226,000 miles and this thing still runs like a rocket and sounds great. K&N oil filter, Castrol Edge 5w-30. Thinking about trans. flush. Any opinion on that ? Not sure about higher mileage flush.
I let Tires Plus talk me into a transmission flush with a Dodge Caravan I used to own. It started to shift erratically about 6 weeks later. I pulled the transmission pan, no debris there, but the filter was full of metal flakes. Only way for anything to get inside the filter would be if fluid passed backward thru the system. Normal flow is from the pan, thru the filter from the outside. Everything inside the filter should be clean. I changed the filter and fluid, and shifting returned to normal. I took the contaminated filter to Tires Plus, and they insisted the flush couldn't have caused the metal in the filter. They obviously back flushed, but denied the flush had anything to do with it, and wouldn't refund the money I had paid for the flush.

Registered
I own 2010 forte 2.0l. ... Added few engine mods for a little xtra kick probably 15-25 more hp.
The stock 2.0L makes 156 hp and you added 15-25 more with a "few engine mods"? That's a 10%-16% increase in hp. :unsure: I'm gonna say that estimate is way exaggerated unless you added a turbo. Things like a K&N CAI only add about 7hp max. Got a dyno sheet to verify that? Butt dynos don't count.

I just hit 226,000 miles ... Thinking about trans. flush. Any opinion on that ? Not sure about higher mileage flush.
First, say no to a "flush" Not good on any trans. A drain an fill as all that's required every 60,000 to 90,000 miles. Has it ever had the trans oil changed? If not, at 226,000 miles, I would NOT change it. If you do it's highly likely it will start to slip.

Registered
Every website said these cars are very reliable. Great review rating. So when I saw an EX with just under 100k for sale for $3k I thought it was a decent value. Test drove it. Everything runs perfectly. Clutch is fantastic. I pay for it. Drive it home. Super excited to start driving this car! Next day I turn it on cold start and I hear this very light ticking sound. So now I鈥檓 on this forum reading HORROR stories about this engine. Is this thing going to explode on me immediately?! On a scale of 1-totally screwed, how bad of a mistake was it to buy this car?! Thanks 馃槶
Mine is a 2010 SX 2.4 with 248K has always had knock (since new with 4oo kms) before warm up. Then it disappears. Always heasitant to drive hard untill it warms up. But I auto-cross it regularly (not since covid) but before then. And still driver her very hard, I do all regular maintenance and she continues to drive well. I think you made a safe decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do a fresh oil change with quality oil and an OEM filter, then see how it sounds.

A "very light ticking sound", especially when cold, really isn't anything to worry about.
I did all that and gave it some time. It has easily become louder. Not a whole lot. But noticeable nonetheless. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檓 willing to start dumping big money into this thing to try and diagnose or fix this engine. I can try to get a recording and post it. It鈥檚 rough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

UPDATE. So here is the engine sound warmed up. I have put on about 150 miles. It has gotten MUCH louder since the oil change. Sounds like it is coming from the front right corner of the motor. When it first starts in cold upstate NY it sounds like a helicopter. Any ideas? Is she doomed to explode?

Super Moderator
I dunno, mine sounds pretty much exactly the same and it still pulls hard and I don't have any issues with it...

What oil filter did you use?

Registered
I dunno, mine sounds pretty much exactly the same and it still pulls hard and I don't have any issues with it...
Ditto. Sounds normal. Sounds like the injectors ticking, not a rod knock.

Reactions: Acura_Kal

Registered
My 2010 Forte EX is still going strong at 430,400 trouble free miles. Had a clicking sound as long as I've owned it, and it's still there. Louder when the engine is cold.
Nothing but normal, routine maintenance, plus an alternator at 317,000 miles. Starting to use some oil, but no smoke. Usually have to add a quart around 3000 - 4000 miles,. 7500 miles between oil changes, Mobil 1 5W20 High mileage formula. Still average 32 mpg over winter, 33 - 35 in summer.

Registered

UPDATE. So here is the engine sound warmed up. I have put on about 150 miles. It has gotten MUCH louder since the oil change. Sounds like it is coming from the front right corner of the motor. When it first starts in cold upstate NY it sounds like a helicopter. Any ideas? Is she doomed to explode?
That sounds like a new 2010 Kia Forte EX engine...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts