Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a Titanium Forte Koup EX Automatic. It will be my new daily driver so that my 400whp Mustang can stay in the garage on cold/rainy/snow days.

I did have an issue right off the bat. When I test drove the car it ran fine, but after the dealer filled it with gas so that I could take it home, it started leaking gas BAD within a mile after leaving (looked like it was coming straight from the gas tank under the car - not the filler). :eek: The dealer did accuse me of hitting something (within a mile of their dealership...) and that really pisses me off. Hopefully this was just a fluke and it won't have many more problems.

Anyway, it is a cool looking car and I ended up picking it over a new focus coupe and Forte sedan.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Sorry to hear that... Dealers can be really stupid sometimes... Welcome to the forums and I hope that your issue(s) get resolved...

·
Registered
23 Posts
doooood, i actually had the same issue a couple of times! so 2 out of the first 4 times i put in gas in my sx koup, the gas overflowed... not jus for a little while, but for a good 30 seconds (and no, i didn't top it off). i googled this problem and was surprised to find that quite a few people had the same problem in other cars, including audis, bmws, and infinitis. it hasn't happened again in a while, but mainly b/c i slow down the speed of the gas pump couple gallons before my tank is filled up. but even when i did do that, it did overflow once...

i haven't talked to my service center yet about this problem b/c i don't have the time to go there yet. so in the meantime, i just bought a fuelguard from griot's garage (Fuelguard - Exterior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage).

anyone else have this gas overflow problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doooood, i actually had the same issue a couple of times! so 2 out of the first 4 times i put in gas in my sx koup, the gas overflowed... not jus for a little while, but for a good 30 seconds (and no, i didn't top it off). i googled this problem and was surprised to find that quite a few people had the same problem in other cars, including audis, bmws, and infinitis. it hasn't happened again in a while, but mainly b/c i slow down the speed of the gas pump couple gallons before my tank is filled up. but even when i did do that, it did overflow once...

i haven't talked to my service center yet about this problem b/c i don't have the time to go there yet. so in the meantime, i just bought a fuelguard from griot's garage (Fuelguard - Exterior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage).

anyone else have this gas overflow problem?
That wasn't the issue with mine. Mine was literally pouring out from under the car to the point that other drivers on the road were flagging me down to tell me. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The gas overflowing while you're pumping has nothing to do with the car. Either the nozzles shut off valve is not working or it's sensors are busted. Either way it's not the car.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had to get in on this:p- If you read what Tom is saying- it is not an overflow problem. The gas is pouring out from under the car as he is driving down the road, not while pumping. Anyway...since the dealer thinks you hit something...was it a puncture in the tank? Did they fix it for you? P.S. Not trying to be a butthole:eek:! just trying to get it back on track!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had to get in on this:p- If you read what Tom is saying- it is not an overflow problem. The gas is pouring out from under the car as he is driving down the road, not while pumping. Anyway...since the dealer thinks you hit something...was it a puncture in the tank? Did they fix it for you?
They are going to look at it on monday. I'll let everyone know the results. It was the salesperson who said that I must have hit something, not the service people.
I'm guessing that it is just a hose that came off, or something that was broken but wasn't obvious until the tank was filled (like the tank is punctured on an upper area that a 1/4 tank won't reach).

·
Registered
320 Posts
You hit something...and the gas tank leaks...but the rest of the car is in new condition??? Stupid salesmen! I wish there was a common sense test for people that deal with the general public.

Sucks you're having issues with your new car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
whoops, guess i was way out on left field here. but thanks for the info! glad to know it's not my car.

as for the actual problem at hand, i sure hope the service guys won't act as shady as the salesman. if they don't fix this problem, that is freakin messed up. i'm definitely rooting for u!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The fuel filler hose goes into that tank on the side, and not on top, so a loose hose clamp there would be a good guess - easy fix and as you guessed, not seen until the car has a full tank. Cars ship from Korea with about 5 litres in them, and on the PDI drive we only add another 20 at my dealership to make sure there is no restriction, gauge works, etc.

Once the fuel stopped leaking out, did your gauge measure less than full?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah we had a Mustang with a fuel filler hose issue. Brought it to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong(didn't leak when not full). Went down the street to a fill it up, brought it back to the dealer pouring gas all over their lot...then they looked at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fuel filler hose goes into that tank on the side, and not on top, so a loose hose clamp there would be a good guess - easy fix and as you guessed, not seen until the car has a full tank. Cars ship from Korea with about 5 litres in them, and on the PDI drive we only add another 20 at my dealership to make sure there is no restriction, gauge works, etc.

Once the fuel stopped leaking out, did your gauge measure less than full?
I didn't look at the gauge, but I'm guessing this is the culprit. Hopefully I get it tomorrow, I'm getting anxious to drive it :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah we had a Mustang with a fuel filler hose issue. Brought it to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong(didn't leak when not full). Went down the street to a fill it up, brought it back to the dealer pouring gas all over their lot...then they looked at it.

That sounds exactly like the same issue. I wonder how common this is across all cars.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
So the dealer didn't give you a full tank of gas when you drove off the lot? I haven't had a dealer not do that yet.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So the dealer didn't give you a full tank of gas when you drove off the lot? I haven't had a dealer not do that yet.
exactly, when i got my car it was 3/4 full, they told me to run it out and come back later in the week to get it filled up for free

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got it back this afternoon. They said the fuel line came loose and they fixed it. Now I just have to get the gas smell out of the interior.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I got it back this afternoon. They said the fuel line came loose and they fixed it. Now I just have to get the gas smell out of the interior.
Did you ask the dealership to pay for a detailing since "you didn't hit anything" and it was a fault on the vehicle?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts