Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any tips when it comes to installing these and/or things I can do to maintain them during the harsh edmonton winters.

thanks.

Pic 1. vinyls
Pic 2. My shmexy forte

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
bring them to your tint guy and have him put them on?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are those vinyls from Lamin X? I wanted to get mine from there but they only had Sedan tail lights so it was a no go. :(

If you don't think you have a steady hand for it, bringing it to a body shop or tint shop could be your best bet on not messing up. As for maintaining, I think just keeping them clean as you would the car is ideal.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
You will need tint spray (tint adhesive), a smoother (like a plastic bondo scraper), and a bottle of baby shampoo mixed with water. Clean the tail lights, apply tint spray, apply tint, coat in water/baby shampoo mixture, smooth out with smoother.

One major problem I do see with this idea though is that applying tint to outside surfaces will not be very durable. Plan on redoing the tint at least every other year.

I sent a link to this thread to my husband for further "professional tinter" input and suggested that he could make a pattern and cut these with his vinyl cutter using materials we already keep in stock. I'll let you know what his response is when I receive it. (I am currently out of town without cell service.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered these from eBay, and the instructions included were in very broken English (no surprise) and hard to make sense of. I think im going to do what "Lights" said. Waiting on your reply HerAlterEgo

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Finding a local vinyl shop or dealer would help too. I bought my tail light tint directly from one and he offered to apply the tint for me free of charge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Clear Choice Auto in Edmonton westend is a good shop. Got my ex's Lancer 7 windows and head/fog/tail lights done, and my Koup 5 windows done there. I may do my lights and if I do it'll be from there.

Biggest maintenance concern is make sure the tint is really wet before wiping or scrubbing. Like your paint, but worse. One point last winter my ex gf tried wiping her headlights with a window squeegee - I could tell exactly the movements she scrubbed the lights from the scratches in the tint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
one thing that helped mine with my last car was the sun or hair dryer if you have one...if you have some bubbles around the outsides putting it on, let it set in the sun for a while to heat up and then take a card or something similair and squegee them out!

·
Registered
318 Posts
my tint guy told me when i asked if he would do it he said its pointless unless i want to re do it all the time because its picky on being cleaned and stuff. so im either ganna crack mine open or spend the money and buy the smoked ones as soon as i get 400 =/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Applied them earlier this morning, I am waiting a bit for it to cure. Will post pics of result shortly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are images, about 5 minutes after installation. Will follow up with images once my car is actually clean lol. I really need to give my car a wash, but now must wait until the vinyls cure.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
just curious, does it substantially affect the brightness of the lights?

it looks mad, but im worried when the lights are on, it looks terrible..?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just curious, does it substantially affect the brightness of the lights?

it looks mad, but im worried when the lights are on, it looks terrible..?

I will try and take two pictures for you, one in night time, one in daytime. hopefully they will be up by evening tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Here are images, about 5 minutes after installation. Will follow up with images once my car is actually clean lol. I really need to give my car a wash, but now must wait until the vinyls cure.
haahahah
dunno if to +2 for dirtiest forte
or -2 for dirtiest forte...

either way- that ranks #1 on my list of dirtiest

wow- i still find it hard to belive you were thinking of tinting the lights during the period that the car looked like that.......hahaahaahah

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haahahah
dunno if to +2 for dirtiest forte
or -2 for dirtiest forte...

either way- that ranks #1 on my list of dirtiest

wow- i still find it hard to belive you were thinking of tinting the lights during the period that the car looked like that.......hahaahaahah
lol, I usually take my car to the car wash (self wash of course) every friday, But this week I just couldn't find the time to get my baby clean. Rest assured its only the back that looks that bad :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Looks good, I might get my local tint shop do it for me when I get my windows tinted...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed these (looks to be the same ones)...pretty simple, clean light area, apply using water spray and push down using the supplied card (covered in a microfibre cloth to protect against scraping).

a few areas you can see some minor bubbling/ripples up close, but I can always re-spray, peel back and re-apply..from 3feet away though, looks great

have lasted a few months so far including auto-car washes and DIY ones

1 - 20 of 28 Posts