Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( the title says it all.

but im curious...was the airbags suppose to deploy? cause it didnt. i was hit while the driver was going 60-65km/hour (about 40mph) and was surprised nothing was deployed...

·
Registered
114 Posts
damn dude! Im guessing your ok!? thats all that matters insurance will cover rest. and about the airbags not deploying im not sure, they might be for roll over? :S

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
glad your ok.. sucks about your car, airbags I think they only open at a certain speed..
atleast that was my understanding.. but its a curious question.. anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
57 Posts
:( i'm sorry. I hope you're okay!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
by being t-boned-
you mean you were hit from driver/passenger side

the 40mph estimated speed of impact...where did that come from?

to look at in another way-

you walked away from it......

in my job field- i've heard stories of folks getting bad injuries from airbags that were a result of crashes in which theoritcally (damn spelling)
that they would have been fine......

just because a car has an airbag (or two or three)
doesnt mean that the airbag is always the solution.

my 2 cents-
you got out of the crash with your marbles still intact enought to talk to us.....
car perfromed as advertisted.
if car failed, or it was a really bad crash-
1)you would be dead
2)you would be still stuck in a hospital bed somewhere trying to remember everything from the last 6 months
3)just the fact that you got crashed, and are talking to us- guess our lil kias are holding up. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
that sucks, anyone hurt? hopefully not. sucks having your new car smashed up i know mines still in the shop being fixed

·
Registered
316 Posts
pics or it didn't happen. Just kidding. It amazes me how strong cars are these days. My brother flipped a sonata three times and landed on it's side.....walked away. The next day he had a bump on his head and realized it was from a golf ball that was in the back seat.

I think there should be an "accident report thread" where people just put pictures of their banged up fortes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
glad you're writing to us (assuming you're alright) Shitty about the car but hopefully your insurance money will be put to good use... another forte? lol
As for the airbags I think a combination of speed and point of impact determines if the airbags blow...
If you look in the owners manual (if you have access to your car yet??) Theres actually a diagram that depicts the location of each airbag sensor. I believe the side curtains sensors are located in the bottom of the door pillars...

In either case good to hear these cars can hold up in need be!
Best of luck dude!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just as KoupKid stated, Airbag deployment depends on several variables including speed of impact, impact angle, seatbelt use, weight and position of occupant (newer vehicles), mass of vehicles and more. IIHS states that side-impact test configuration resulting from this research is a 31 mph (50 km/h) perpendicular impact into the driver side of a passenger vehicle. The moving deformable barrier that strikes the test vehicle weighs 3,300 pounds (1,500 kg) and has a front end shaped to simulate the typical front end of a pickup or SUV.

The Kia Forte comes standard with both side-curtain and front seat-mounted torso airbags which in most cases are designed to both deploy in a side-impact crash.

Best advice is make it aware to your insurance adjuster for the lack of deployment and ensure Kia is aware of the issue as this may be a deeper issue in hand such as engineering and sensor defaults. And if you're American, why not sue.... j/k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.