Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching, looking to buy in the fall. Forte is at the top of my list although I'll probably wait for the hatch since it will suit my needs better. Anyway, I'm looking at the road tests on Edmunds and I find this:
2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 66.9

2010 Buick LaCrosse
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 68.1

2010 Ford Taurus Limited
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 68.0

2009 Jaguar XF
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 67.8

2008 BMW 550i
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 65.4

2011 Hyundai Sonata
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 67.2

2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 56.7

2010 Kia Forte SX
Db @ 70 mph Cruise 60.3 :eek:

Only one quieter is the Porsche that costs $147,670.
Is this a misprint? I've read a lot of comments that the Forte is quiet, but that is usually in comparison to Mazda 3, etc
So what's your opinion?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Mine is a lot quieter than my old 2007 Pontiac Wave 5 door on highways. Don't have to turn up the volume anymore.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
Anyone serious about buying a Forte (or any other car) should take one out for a test drive. Drive on the type roads you will normally drive on and at all speeds you normally attain. Make up your mind based on that test drive -- not on a magazine article.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Anyone serious about buying a Forte (or any other car) should take one out for a test drive. Drive on the type roads you will normally drive on and at all speeds you normally attain. Make up your mind based on that test drive -- not on a magazine article.
i agree with what you said but you have to admit those are some impressive numbers if the readings were all taken on the same stretch of road.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I dont know how quiet my Koup is.....between my magnaflow screaming and .....Hmmmmmmmmm 2LIVE Crew pumping (hahaha) I really have no clue how quiet the Koup is.
Personally 'quietness' was never a concern of mine, but to each their own. I hope that you get the answers you need.
I will say however, the FORTE ROCKS!

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I will of course drive several cars before I buy one, but I like to get as much info as possible before I go. I trust what I can get from forums like this the most, but if I read a lot of reviews and they all praise or pass on something, I feel there must be something to it.
I'n currently driving a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse that I bought new. It's been great, but I always thought the road noise was a little too much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the front tire area has plenty of road noise, more than I would like. Keep in mind it's not a Lexus. :p

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Mine is

UBER-QUIET!

Just add $350 in deadening (350 should cover doing it the right way) and then you're all set.

D

·
Registered
21 Posts
60 db?? Did they cover the mic with a towel when they did that test?? :D

Mine is ONLY quiet at that speed if I'm on perfectly smooth asphalt. If I'm on anything else, the crappy Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires scream like a banshee! :mad:

I can't wait 'til they're bald so I can buy something else. There are hundreds of reviews on Tirerack.com about the LS2's being extremely noisy. I hope all you people posting how quiet it is have some other type of tire. And if so, what is it??

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Goodyears, the car is quiet aside from tire noise. Unless its raining, the first time I drove in rain I thought water was leaking inside the car someplace - in heavy rain it can get pretty loud from the rear - hitting the rear windows or something?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Goodyears, the car is quiet aside from tire noise. Unless its raining, the first time I drove in rain I thought water was leaking inside the car someplace - in heavy rain it can get pretty loud from the rear - hitting the rear windows or something?
Guess it must be from the wheel wells. If you drive on a wet road when the rain's stopped, you'd still be hearing the same sound.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I feel like the engine sound alone is pretty loud and at least in the koup sx, which is what I have, driving isn't that quiet but loud is definitely not the word, it's in between but the CAI now makes accelerating louder :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drove an EX and the dealer had already started it and had it running to get the A/C going for me. I got in and he switched the A/C to fan speed 1 so it wasn't really audible. I was just about to start the car again when i noticed the radio on and though "hey, maybe this is on" i shifted into drive and sure enough...the car was running.

It was a sunny day so i put the sunroof back. About 5 minutes later i was at a set of lights and was like "wow, this car is really quiet". then my girlfriend said "yeah, and that's with the sunroof open". I closed it and didn't hear a thing the rest of the drive. This car amazed me at how quiet it was.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it's pretty loud but blame it on the tires. Going 70-75 on the hwy on certain types of asphault can be annoying but 55-60 on fresh asphault and its super quiet.

FWIW, this is in comparison to my passat and jetta on the same stretch of road

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find it to me much more quite then I had expected. To the point where I had to drive with the music off for the first week to get used to the throtle response cause you can't really hear the engine. I did the same thing as Jarret on the test drive and almost went to start it again.

I drive most of my commute on a concrete road and used to be crazy noisy in my sunfire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts