Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you I Didn't really thinks so, BNR had a separate tune for regular fuel.
The Cruze was hampered by blowing pistons do to LSPI, the tune help eliminate LSPI. As well as using Aimsoil.
First what is LSPI short for?

I am familiar with Bad News Racing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could you explain your position and reasoning?

I found is that simply untrue. But I won't disclose what I found out today before you answer.

This is a teachable moment.
Please let me know what you think about using Premium fuel please.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Only 91 octane is available in California. I didn't know what LSPI meant. It's happen in the Focus ST community as well mostly with stock plugs and stock gap.

Firstly 91 or 93, maybe even 94 which is available in Canada won't give you MBT (Max Brake Torque) usually the most advance timing.

Second I was completely shocked but not really I thought the results I got today where expected. There is still more to come but I don't think it will make much more power without a tune, still impressive.

I've seen a dyno pull for the DCT, so we'll go with that (190whp/203ft) before Pro Tuner Piggyback - LAP3 Pro-Tuner V2.5 - JS Veloster Turbo & BD Forte GT | LAP3

I will share the graphs after Wed so I can see the difference as I don't know what a manual trans Forte GT's should put down on 91 octane.

If Lap3 tested on RON98 (same as our 93 octane) it will make less on 91.

Results -

221.83 whp @5973 rpm
237.90 of torque @3040 rpm

These numbers are 9% lower than a Dynojet.

Stock tune, ZERO mods, just clicked over 2,000 miles.

Betcha can't guess what I did.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Could you explain your position and reasoning?

I found is that simply untrue. But I won't disclose what I found out today before you answer.

This is a teachable moment.
This has been discussed hundreds of times. In stock form, with a stock tune, you get ZERO benefit from octane more than 87. End of discussion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This has been discussed hundreds of times. In stock form, with a stock tune, you get ZERO benefit from octane more than 87. End of discussion.
Then what did I just do?

Jumping from 87 to 91 will see a benefit but is it worth the additional cost to most? Not really. If you are a what I would call a Category A enthusiast who likes the car as-is, likes his warranty, has limited understanding of things in general when it comes to automobiles then going with more octane likely means no meaningful increase in performance.

However did I increase octane to about 94.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Then what did I just do?
What did you do? Nothing. You have no proof that just an octane change raised HP. Got any before and after dyno sheets? No.

Jumping from 87 to 91 will see a benefit
Again, where is your proof? You have none.

The only difference fuel would make is if you went from fuel with 10% ethanol to fuel with zero ethanol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What did you do? Nothing. You have no proof that just an octane change raised HP. Got any before and after dyno sheets? No.

Again, where is your proof? You have none.

The only difference fuel would make is if you went from fuel with 10% ethanol to fuel with zero ethanol.
I did do something. I don't have a before and that's part of the problem. I am going back on Wed. That's why I said it's preliminary. I can likely make more power but I don't know for sure.

The information is available on Google. you have to ask Google the right question.

I believe the manual will do slightly better than the DCT's I've seen so the gain might be smaller.

Proof, I have it. If I spent hours online looking at stuff and I'm just suppose to spill everything without any context (1) or reasons why (2) ?

Also this won't work for everybody for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
102 Posts
I did do something. I don't have a before and that's part of the problem. I am going back on Wed. That's why I said it's preliminary. I can likely make more power but I don't know for sure.

The information is available on Google. you have to ask Google the right question.

I believe the manual will do slightly better than the DCT's I've seen so the gain might be smaller.

Proof, I have it. If I spent hours online looking at stuff and I'm just suppose to spill everything without any context (1) or reasons why (2) ?

Also this won't work for everybody for obvious reasons.
You've piqued my interest. Curious to see the outcome. Is there a possibility of unlocking some power? Perhaps. The compression is slightly higher in the GT than other/older 1.6 turbo Hyundai/ KIA gamma engines.

My last car had a high compression VR6 that 87 was the recommended fuel, and there was no noticeable difference between the 2 fuels. Though VW at one time, recommended 91 for the same engine.

Subaru recommends 93 for STI engines, but states 91 is okay to use. In this application, I would say yes, there is a difference.

I have no experience with any Korean engines, so I would like to see the data.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You've piqued my interest. Curious to see the outcome. Is there a possibility of unlocking some power? Perhaps. The compression is slightly higher in the GT than other/older 1.6 turbo Hyundai/ KIA gamma engines.

My last car had a high compression VR6 that 87 was the recommended fuel, and there was no noticeable difference between the 2 fuels. Though VW at one time, recommended 91 for the same engine.

Subaru recommends 93 for STI engines, but states 91 is okay to use. In this application, I would say yes, there is a difference.

I have no experience with any Korean engines, so I would like to see the data.

99% of performance production cars are rated on 93 octane because that is the fuel that is available to most people.

You will make less power on 91 octane (vs 93), how much less, I don't know. Focus ST 219-220 whp on 91 vs 239-240 whp on 93, stock tune.

All the turbocharged engines that Hyundai/Kia make are designed by Germans. The Ford Ecoboost engine was designed by a former BMW M engineer.

Lots of potential here, just needs to be tapped.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
102 Posts
All the turbocharged engines that Hyundai/Kia make are designed by Germans.
Funny that you mentioned this. When I opened the hood at the dealership, I noticed how the engine layout and ancillary parts are pretty much an exact copy of the VW 1.8T/2.0T. Even the exhaust manifold and turbo choice is VW-esque.

I'm looking forward to your findings.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
99% of performance production cars are rated on 93 octane because that is the fuel that is available to most people.
Yes, but the Forte GT and the 1.6T engine were designed to run on regular 87 octane fuel. They were not designed to make more power on higher octane fuel. More than 87 does not produce more power in stock form and tune.

You will make less power on 91 octane (vs 93), how much less, I don't know. Focus ST 219-220 whp on 91 vs 239-240 whp on 93, stock tune.
That's true for cars designed to make peek performance on 93 premium fuel. However, the Forte was designed to make peek power on regular 87 octane fuel. More octane will not create more power because the stock tune will not compensate for the added octane.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Just because a car designed to make peek power on 93 will make less power on 91 and 87 does not mean a car designed to make peek power on 87 will make more power on 91 and 93. It doesn't work that way. At least not in stock form. You need to change the tune to take advantage of the higher octane.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here we go again with NovaResource. This guy has nothing add to the GT forum ppl. We alrdy had it with on gas alrdy. Just another forum warrior that "tries" to troll ppl and fails, posts in new post saying he is first. Tries to be a "I'm always right person". Comments negative about ppl personal styles ect. Have fun with your car just post us your time and fun with the car.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Here we go again with NovaResource. This guy has nothing add to the GT forum ppl. We alrdy had it with on gas alrdy. Just another forum warrior that "tries" to troll ppl and fails, posts in new post saying he is first. Tries to be a "I'm always right person". Comments negative about ppl personal styles ect. Have fun with your car just post us your time and fun with the car.
Show me proof that fuel higher that 87 octane produces measurable hp increase on a STOCK GT and I'll gladly eat crow. Go ahead, prove me wrong. Please

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There can't be any proof unless the stock tune is changed to take advantage of higher octain,
Exactly. On a stock engine with a stock tune you will not get any significant power increase on any fuel over 87 octane (if the fuels have similar ethanol content). If you want more power out of higher octane fuel then you need to change the tune to take advantage of the higher octane. That's all I'm saying.

But hey, don't listen to me. Apparently I have "nothing to add to the GT forum" and I'm "just another forum warrior that tries to troll people and fails". I only make "comments negative about peoples personal styles" and I'm "useless to the GT community"

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I tuned my Cruze they gave me a separate tune for 87 obtain and only 21 he gain over stock. With 93 obtain it would get 54 Hp extra. Higher octain doesn't burn as efficiently so timing and spark has to be set for it.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts