Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
102 Posts
View attachment 80464

Pre-determine fuel wire also showed up. I'm dying for a power boost; As I've said my Focus ST ran low 13's and my Neon SRT-4 ran 12.7's. So while it feels quick especially in Sport mode, it's not fast and I know it's being held back by the super conservative stock tune.

This is only the beginning
Did you buy it from Burger or did you get it through another retailer? Where can I buy the JB4?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Did you buy it from Burger or did you get it through another retailer? Where can I buy the JB4?

You have to buy it out of state. I bought mine from Extreme Performance in Las Vegas. Vivid Racing also carries JB4.

Those are your closest dealers. Typically two day shipping.

Everybody has the same price.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
102 Posts
You have to buy it out of state. I bought mine from Extreme Performance in Las Vegas. Vivid Racing also carries JB4.

Those are your closest dealers. Typically two day shipping.

Everybody has the same price.
Thanks. I just saw a YouTube video of a guy in a Forte GT smoked a Audi A4 and walked a stage 2 WRX. Impressive for just a JB4 and the little 1.6 liter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Forte GT is lighter then both cars. Those cars advantage is AWD so standing starts. That's I generally don't like roll racing. I almost beat a STi in my Focus ST which had a bad launch (1.90 60ft) and I short shifted 3-4, 12.92 vs my 12.97; beat me by a fender. You can out launch AWD especially if the playing field is equal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 80464

Pre-determine fuel wire also showed up. I'm dying for a power boost; As I've said my Focus ST ran low 13's and my Neon SRT-4 ran 12.7's. So while it feels quick especially in Sport mode, it's not fast and I know it's being held back by the super conservative stock tune.

This is only the beginning
what made you decide to go with a piggy-back instead of a ECU direct tune like Tork on the Forte GT?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
what made you decide to go with a piggy-back instead of a ECU direct tune like Tork on the Forte GT?
When I found out the JB4 was available for 1.6L Turbocharged Kia/Hyundai cars I didn't have to think twice.

The main reasons -

1) Data Logging combined with a community that is looking to help you achieve your goals
2) Water Methanol Integration

Especially the last one, it's not merely adding water methanol as you would with a stand alone system like the AEM, Snow or Aquamist. It's fully apart of the JB4, it logs flow, maintains ideal air-fuel ratios which is critical to its effectiveness.

But it brings with it safety systems that no other water methanol kit has. If flow drops below a certain point, it will bump you down to Map 0 which is the stock tune. For the others to do that you have to add external switches and relays to things like the wastegate to bleed boost if a problem is detected.

That is the advantage of OBD-II monitoring. Everything I just mentioned can be controlled from the mobile app.

There's more but those are the main reasons. I would explain all it's capable of doing but I really don't like to waste my typing on those who will never take advantage of that information. Besides tons of YouTube videos and forum post exist that explain it's capabilities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you mention that you have put E85 mix with E10. Are you using the stock fuel delivery system or you upgraded the fuel pump, injectors and lines for E85?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
you mention that you have put E85 mix with E10. Are you using the stock fuel delivery system or you upgraded the fuel pump, injectors and lines for E85?
Stock fuel system is rated for E15, it's in your manual. You can use higher concentrations of ethanol, but your fuel economy goes down. For extended use you may want to add a conditioner like Marvin's Mystery Oil or Lucas Ethanol Treatment.

Right now I am E20 on Map 2 though I can easily go back to Map 0 because my fuel economy is more important than ripping around town.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks. I just saw a YouTube video of a guy in a Forte GT smoked a Audi A4 and walked a stage 2 WRX. Impressive for just a JB4 and the little 1.6 liter.

I believe the person who's video you saw is the same person I know on FB who is going around street racing people.

Anyway he's taken his car to the local 1/4 mile drag strip.. First time he ran [email protected] mph. He has the Sxth hot pipe, Mishimoto J-Line DIY Intercooler upgrade, shifter bushing and the JB4 (Map 5 on E30).

He's recently gone back and ran the best of [email protected] mph same setup, a little cooler outside and a better launch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Alright, first the bad news.

Because I was trying to have the car ready to run low 13's (13.00 Index) and also because I refused to take any time off. I ended up (1) talking time off (2) not going to attend the event (which I will explain in a second) and (3) have an alternative schedule.

By the time I tried to secure the house and decided to run the car as-is, bring the WMI setup with me to install track-side, it was too late to drive 21+ hours and make it to Tulsa by 3 pm which is when they stop tech inspection (starts at 7 am CST)

So that's $375 flushed down the toilet. Further insult to injury I missed out on betting on college football that would have been a great payday topped off by Georgia Tech beating Fla St straight up.

Now that I won't be missing a week of work, I will focus on getting things done namely the water-methanol system and the lowering springs. Both showed up on Weds; Again refusing to take a day off to complete these things meant working with that narrow window of time that without appointments are impossible to work it. Also working with a store that isn't a wheel/tire store firstly means getting delayed information. Meaning the impact I was looking for with the Forte since the event is going to be streamed on YouTube and daily updates from 1320 Video goes for naught.

So the goal by Friday of next week -

1) Install the WMI (Sunday)
2) Order the Wheels (Monday)
3) Install Whiteline Lowering Springs (Monday or Tues)
4) Head up to Sonoma Raceway for Wed Night Drags also jump on TL's Dynojet which is located at the track
5) New wheels mounted (Thurs or Friday)

Things waiting to be delivered -

Dragy

The car went back to the dyno two weeks ago. I believe I hold the current output record for the Forte GT at 251 whp @5485 and 268 ft of torque @3670. I have print outs but I want the screen captures instead, I'll have to bug Church for those.

The only mod is the JB4 (Map 4) + Bluetooth and stock plugs re-gapped to .022 There is more power to be had as timing wasn't stable, the advance was but it would fluctuate up and down between 15-23 degrees. I plan on using the Dragy at the track because I can overlay the information and capture video at the same time with the app.

I will be capturing both the Dragy and JB4 Connect apps.

The Forte will be run at the track a few more times before the end of the year but the focus will shift to the Cobalt SS

Lots of media to come stay tuned.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts