Kia Forte Forum banner
141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
A little off subject, what I heard a few years ago was bandits were jacking old muscle cars on Route 66. They would drive next to a car and inform the driver that they have a tire going low and they would pull over and offer assistance… pull out a piece and drive off with their ride! Nice…real nice try explaining this to your insurance company. 🤯
We didn't use any of the old Route 66. I-40 is what replaced it, we used that and two lanes state routes.

On the Rocky Mountain Race Week FB page one or two of the routes are posted. They have Road Week where you can experience the event for a smaller entry fee and follow the same route we do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Larger update it coming but I thought I would update a little -

A wordpress blog is coming in-case this forum goes down and just so I have another area with stuff, much of it very evergreen.

Now that I am spending more time in the car (10-12 hours or more) the audio system is not up to snuff. I added a SAS Bass Tube to the car shortly after I got it. This filled the void the stock system is not capable of, works great highly recommend it.

However I have come to a point that it's simply not loud enough. Fortunately the car audio market is extremely mature and better information means that better outcomes for a given budget are more likely than ever. In other words it's hard to mess things up.

The Alpine V5 amp I bought a few years ago is not suitable for this install since I need a center channel and keep the voice recognition active, besides the image is spot on anyway.

I have settled on the JBL 4086 DSP Amplifier as the price is affordable (less than $500) and offers a wealth of features. The only caveat is that it requires a Windows box for the software and this is critical for setting up the correct signals going to the right speakers because we have positive number of speakers but an odd number of active channels.

Being an 8 channel amp that is plenty to get the job done, in-fact it's one channel too many. You are forced to make a decision:

A) Bi-amp the front speakers or
B) Power both voice coils in the Sub

In either case the center channel is kept.

That makes for odd signal input as the center channel is mono but the sub has two active channels since it's a dual voice coil speaker.

All inputs are made after the factory amp which has 7 channels, but there only 6 inputs.

After further research and to prevent any problems, I will use only one of the sub channels and the center channels.

Inputs: L/R front, L/R rear, Center (Ch 5) and Sub (Ch 6)
Outputs : L/R front (1&2), rear (3&4), center (7) and sub (5 & 8)

It has to be done that way because to use the included bass knob, it's only active on channel 7&8. Additionally only 7 & 8 can be used as center and/or subwoofer.

I can fix the sub out in the mixer, in other words I can link Ch 5 & Ch 8.

This is what I have gleaned from sources since I haven't booted up the software. My Windows netbook is horribly slow so I need an upgrade. Once that happens I can get more into the nitty gritty of the amplifier and dsp section.

Beyond that I was thinking about upgrading the speakers to JBL Club series (Stage 2) and upgrading the Bass Tube to match. The JBL Micro sub is very good from all accounts which is mostly based on the fact that it's 240 watts, not so much on it's shape or size, it's a ported enclosure. The latest SAS Bass Tube 250D provides similar power (200 watts) that minor different won't matter to output at all to the human ear.

Combined with sound deadening, a rabbit hole that is worth investigating. I plan on either doing the doors first or the whole car, not a ton of material as it adds weight but adding 100 lbs is only 1 tenth/ 1 mph. You can get that back by finding 10 hp somewhere.

It's worth doing regardless because the noise floor in the Forte at freeway speeds is quite high. It looks like treating the wheel wells will be very beneficial as the tire noise is obvious as well.

My installer friend quoted me a price that is quite shocking to do the car. Recently in that rabbit hole, I found a product that is mainly popular in hardcore DIY audio circles but not mentioned much in the mainstream. Let it put this another way, what you generally find on Amazon, Crutchfield and other websites including Car Audio Fabrication on YouTube which I highly recommend and very informative; the Sound Skin, Hushmat, etc etc. Is effective but to get the most out of it, you have to use more material.

This product is the more effective and most efficient available. Second would be Dynamat Extreme and 3rd would be a product that was recently released by 3M I believe for more industrial use but can be used in a vehicle.

I would say avoid HushMat, Second Skin and Noico and the others. If you must get something that is commonly available it's Dynamat.

I will get into the product I have chosen soon as I am still trying to understand how much material I will need using the law that 25-30% of coverage will net around 75-80% of the benefit from these products. This is to keep the weight down and it really isn't necessary to blanket the whole car in this stuff.

Beyond the audio upgrade, if you don't know as I haven't mentioned this much is that the car has been in an accident right as 2021 was ending (Dec 31st). The car didn't suffer too bad as it's drivable, no suspension damage at all, it's cosmetic.

The offending party and their insurance company is taking 85% of the blame (15% knocked off because I admitted to glancing at my phone before impact, which I don't think makes much difference to the outcome but it is what it is). That means the car is going to be repaired, the question is how much of a repair and can we take it much further than repairs?

Ultimately what I would love to accomplish is that all the systems in the car, upgrades and whatever else gets tied up in a nice neat bow that when I get the car back not only is it repaired but it's better than before and ready for further testing and enjoyment as we move into the late winter, events start happening (hopefully as scheduled) again and tracks open.

Lots of good natured ribbing has been happening but it's time to take the gloves off.

The data dump from late 2021 is coming, still working out how I want to present it.

*I will update with photos from the accident Google is having issues with some of it's services.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
/\ /\ /\ All your "radio talk" is WAY over my head! LOL!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,380 Posts
Other then installing aftermarket radios in 60s and 70s cars I wouldn't know a woofer from a tweeter...LOL!

141 - 145 of 145 Posts