Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I read some posts and talked to some other members about fitment issues for the 2010's. Here is what I did to solve the issue.

We cut the zip tie that was holding it to the top of the bracket, wrapped in in some tape, moved it to the front of the bracket and zip-tied it down there. The mounting bracket then is about an inch away and wont rub the harness.

Hope this helps if someone was debating against it for this reason.

Attachments

Reactions: Veeboski

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Smart, i just spaced the bolt with washers so it doesnt poke through the other side to rub but i woulda done this if i had seen this before i installed the shield

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
civicKillR, we discussed that briefly before and I was just about to do that, but my friend mentioned just moving it completely. We will see how it holds up over time, but for now it fits snug where it is, so I don't think its going anywhere.

Thanks Fuel

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Oh ya, haha i talk to too many ppl lol. But update in a couple months if it holds up.

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Just showing how my slight mod for the 2010 holds up. Remember before I had cut the original zip tie and moved the wire harness around to the other side. As you see it is still holding up and I am completely satisfied with it!

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used a small length of evap hose that I had bought to prevent rubbing. Cut it lengthwise and fitted it over the part of the bracket that contacts the harness. It's snug and has stayed in place so far.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Isnt the typhoon just a filter or does it have an actual pipe? pic please?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Isnt the typhoon just a filter or does it have an actual pipe? pic please?
No it's not just a filter, it comes with it's own tubing and a heat shield to go around the filter in the stock airbox position, and Fuel
just posted a picture his pipe has header wrap though, might make it easier to spot in the picture.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ahh ok I got ya. Thanks for the pic and comment. Which would be better tho? Typhoon or an actual CAI

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ahh ok I got ya. Thanks for the pic and comment. Which would be better tho? Typhoon or an actual CAI
I personally like the traditional CAI intake design that's routed to the bumper, but many will make the argument that the Typhoon is just as good because of the heat shield. I have no hard evidence so I can only speculate but I can see hot air still getting to the Typhoon with its position at the top of the engine and proximity to the header. It's a matter of opinion though. Also I think a lot of people that live in snowy or rainy areas choice the Typhoon because its high up. I live in North Carolina with a mild climate and have never had a problem with a CAI so...

·
Registered
100 Posts
exactly what I wanted to know :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I sure wish I would have seen this thread earlier today haha. I got my intake in the mail a little after 4:30 today and had no idea it was gonna take so long to install (since it gets dark so early). I kept running into little problems. That bracket was such a bitch. I fiddled with it forever. Finally ended up cutting the zip tie holding that hose. I also managed to partially snap the plastic vacuum plug off in the intake so I wrapped it tight with electrical tape and that looks like its gonna hold it fine since its only partially broken. The final issue was that the tubing from the front intake wouldn't fit into the airbox. I just took a dremel and grinded the plastic down and that took care of it.

Now that everythings finished I love it! Sounds so good. It's been 4 years since I've messed around with cars. Feels good. B)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just unhooked the intake filter box top and hose, pulled out the old filter, and clamped on a $25.00 cone filter to the hose end, just like the K&N. Sounds amazing. I'm going to cut the box top, to allow for the new cone, and re-clamp it..giving me a heat shield too. The intake scope on the front of the car feeds cool air right to the box bottom, and all over the new filter. Cheap way to get the same thing as the $200 K&N set up. I bought a replacement box top, ($40) so I can swap back the old set up easily for smog checks in Calif. , or for warranty work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just unhooked the intake filter box top and hose, pulled out the old filter, and clamped on a $25.00 cone filter to the hose end, just like the K&N. Sounds amazing. I'm going to cut the box top, to allow for the new cone, and re-clamp it..giving me a heat shield too. The intake scope on the front of the car feeds cool air right to the box bottom, and all over the new filter. Cheap way to get the same thing as the $200 K&N set up. I bought a replacement box top, ($40) so I can swap back the old set up easily for smog checks in Calif. , or for warranty work.
Not trying to argue but with the hole in the top of the air box the vacuum effect that pulls air from the factory scoop is going to be lost. It's going to mainly suck up all the hot air in the engine bay through the top of the box.

Reactions: s.f.c.hooligan

·
Registered
4 Posts
The K&N design does the same thing. It removes the box entirely, and hooks the factory scoop hose to the shield, below the filter. Same possible problem of sucking in warm air, which I think is minimal using the shields. The hood covers the open top area, so air only comes in from the back, (again..just like the K&N design) So far, good sound, good acceleration, no change in engine temp, and same or slightly better mileage. (and no engine light triggering) AND..easy to put back old set up. I like it!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The K&N design does the same thing. It removes the box entirely, and hooks the factory scoop hose to the shield, below the filter. Same possible problem of sucking in warm air, which I think is minimal using the shields. The hood covers the open top area, so air only comes in from the back, (again..just like the K&N design) So far, good sound, good acceleration, no change in engine temp, and same or slightly better mileage. (and no engine light triggering) AND..easy to put back old set up. I like it!!!!
I never said the k&n worked any better. Both are bad designs and both suck in hot air. There won't be a change in engine temp with an intake, the only thing that hot air is going to do is decrease power. Also no intake made for our cars causes a CEL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts