Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Aug 5th my Kia Forte SX was happily headed home from Vegas at 70 mph when a felt a slight shudder go through the car. The dash lit up for several seconds and then the car lost all power. Lucky for me CA-58 W was quiet that afternoon and I was able to pull off the hwy under an overpass. (It was 100 plus that day!)
Get a tow back to home 50+ miles! My personal mechanic says he’ll take a look. Quickly get a call saying the engine is done! Since I purchaed my car used I had a vehicle service contract. We call the company who tell us they’ll have it towed to Kia.
I go with the tow truck the next day, provide them with the service contract info, offer maintenance records (which are refused) and head out. Service adviser calls a day or so later says the engine is done and I’ll need a long block. He contacts the service company who wants to inspect after Kia does teardown to determine what failedI I give Kia permission to do teardown on Thursday. Call both Kia and warranty back late Tuesday only to be told I’m next. Runaround ensues w Kia. Finally I ask what time service opens and how much I owe for diagnostic. They say it hasn’t been torn down so 0$! I make appt for morning.. they suddenly find time to get the engine ready for inspection. Inspector shows up same day, asks Kia for numbers. More runaround ensues with Kia talking used engine. Warranty company says no that’s too much for( another messed up)engine and requests estimate and time frame for new replacement. Kia says backorders have no ETA, but no parts/labor to warranty company for approval.I finally break down and call Kia customer assistance and find out the engine had ALREADY been ordered. I explain that my warranty company had not approved my claim AND I had not been provided any written estimate! Kia repeatedly tried to contact dealership but couldn’t reach anyone. They left a message for service Dept mgr to contact me. So now just waiting to see what dealership says.

The Kia rep said the engines are coming from Korea. That’s fine. But if my engine isn’t on the recall list, why is it waiting in line for the same engine?
So just wanted to give my so far 3 week experience. I’d read some threads with other Fortes having engine failures similar to mine. I know NHTSA Is investigating the scope and timeliness of the recalls so I’m keeping an eye on that as well.

·
Registered
996 Posts
.... offer maintenance records (which are refused) ...
Why did they refuse what you tried to give them?

AFA the engine delivery, be advised that Hyundai owners are also waiting in line with the Kia owners, given that these sister automakers use the same engines across multiple vehicle models. Also, the same Theta short blocks are common across MPI and GDI engines, which creates even more of a logjam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not certain. I had them w me just in case my warranty company tried to deny my claim. But both they and Kia said they wouldn't need them. I know for the recall records are not needed.
I feel the dealer could have told me or warranty company more about the engine being on backorder. It wasn't until I called the Kia corporate number that I found out it.was coming from South Korea. My warranty company covers 5 day max rental reimbursement. I've been without a car a month Weds. The fact that I'm in line w the recalled car makes me believe mine should be considered for recall.

·
Registered
996 Posts
.... The fact that I'm in line w the recalled car makes me believe mine should be considered for recall.
Actually you're only waiting in the same line as the recalls for the block, which is the common part for all of the Theta engines. Hyundai/Kia has released zero information (aside from the required recall documentation0, so there is no way to know what the bottlenecks are with their engine replacement processing. I did read a post from a tech on the Hyundai forums about a rumor of a new engine factory being built, to help resolve the engine failure situation. If that turns out to be true, it would give additional perspective as to the scope of these engine issues.

Can you post the oil change history of this vehicle, including viscosity, oil type (syn or non-syn), and oil filter brand?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil changes were always within 4-6k miles . The previous owner used generic filters, which I continued with the same brand. Synthetic every time. I’d have to check the viscosity. (Not at home right now) The most recent oil change had been in late June.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me. Since mine is the non GDI version they no longer makes the short block. My car has been sitting in the shop since..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Kia dealer called me late last week to let me know they have an ETA on my new engine. It’s due to arrive Oct 16th! My vehicle warranty company called me while I was on the phone w Kia to let me know. I’ve got to say that Continous Customer Care has been staying on top of my claim w weekly calls to the dealership. I’m hoping to get my Forte back maybe by next Friday. We shall see!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s the problem.. it’s not a recall. They called today to tell me that the new ETA is Oct 31st. Very unhappy right now!

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Turns out one of the techs bought a engine but never used it. Still new in the crate, and he offered it to me. Just paid for it yesterday. So broke now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
So what's the latest on this mess?

IMO the more heat brought on H/K the better. They need to get/be on top of this, this is a known problem and if they want to continue with their good reputation they need to do whatever it takes to deserve it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: no engine still. They keep changing my ETA. Still no offer of a loaner or anything else. Really unhappy and feel like they’re putting me in back of line behind recalls.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow. I am starting to wonder if they aren't trying to catch up on other 2.4L recalls before potentially expanding the recall to Fortes as well.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Wow. I am starting to wonder if they aren't trying to catch up on other 2.4L recalls before potentially expanding the recall to Fortes as well.
There have so far been no seize recalls on any Kia/Hyundai Theta MPI engines, only GDI/Turbos. But I guess we can continue to hope that they eventually will do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So yesterday they put me in a loaner vehicle. Kia Corporate told me “yes it’s a long wait but since you have a loaner vehicle...” and then I laughed at them! When I stopped laughing and asked him to read the case notes, he put me on hold for ten minutes and came back to tell me they had a loaner and they would send someone to pick me up whenever I was ready . So it only took 100 days and 4 car payments....oh and I got an new ETA! Number 7 but who’s counting?

·
Registered
996 Posts
....oh and I got an new ETA! Number 7 but who’s counting?
It's bad enough to be having all of these engine issues, but this business of missing multiple ETAs is making Kia look like a bunch of idiots. Although in the case of Kia (and Hyundai), it could very well be that perception is reality.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How many miles on it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts