Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm actually writing this in their waiting room lol.

So I pulled into the dealership for my oil change and all the workers come out and looks at my car. They were all like "Is that a Kia? That looks different." They noticed the emblems and were like "What's that?" I told them that I bought them off eBay and it's like the Korean OEM K badge. They were like "Man, those look sweet, maybe we should slap them on all of our cars" lol. They also asked about my rims. They asked if I bought the rims from them. I told them "Yeah...? They came with the car..." haha their faces were like "o_O?" Then I told them that it's just the SX rims with the silver parts taken off lol. I also told them about the SX-R package and basically that it is like the Spectra Tuner Package they sold but for the Koup. They said they haven't heard about it, of course, because it's a Canada exclusive. They said oh and they can probably order it for me but I said no because I know how much it costs lol. They asked me if anything was done to the engine and I said no. I told them that I was gonna ask the service manager later about adding a CAI to it. And will it void warranty or not. Wish me luck =]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just about to post and see if anyone has asked this question yet. Anyone know about adding a catback exhaust and how it affects the warranty?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me it's ok to do any kind of engine work to it just as long as what you do don't mess up the engine somehow or the cause of the problem. Basically if I put a CAI in it and the air sensor is messed up then I'm SOL. But if my tranny messes up they can't blame my CAI. Hopefully, I'll get my CAI this month =)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
woot. this gives me more comfidence in going to my dealer with all my "mods"

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
woot. this gives me more comfidence in going to my dealer with all my "mods"
Good Idea!

OP, glad your service department is backing you...but it sounds like they don't really know the Koup/Forte. Might want to let them know about the ECM getting cooled by the intake box...my service manager knew, and said if I fried the ECU with an aftermarket intake (that didn't provide cooling air) they would not warranty it. Could be an issue later on if they knew you put a CAI in, had a problem with the ECU, and then corporate finding out about your problem and mod when they tried to turn it in for a warranty covered repair payment...my 2-cents.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
All the more reason to do your own maintenance.

You actually trust your car to techs that can't even recognize it as a KIA? :eek:
LoL...Appears that they were confused because he took the Kia badges off the car and installed the "K" badges.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
i went in to service with my nitrous they didnt say anything and i have a cai and loud exhaust the service guy actually liked my car wait until i get my koup front conversion and turbo by next year and i also won another trophy import other. 3rd place. last month i was at 2nd place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
But what happens if your head warps and they know you have a CIA mod, can't they use that against you? If I were you I would get that manager to signature stating that it isn't going to void any engine warranty only the sensor that he said wouldn't be covered.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
A cai can't be the cause of a warp head.... Only overheating can cause that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I forgot that bit. The service manager said just as long as you have an ECU bracket for the sensor then I'm good. He said he noticed that a lot of Mazda owners threw CAI into their cars and fried their sensors when he worked at the Mazda dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A cai can't be the cause of a warp head.... Only overheating can cause that.

.... I know this, I was using it as a stupid example. Dealerships try to screw you and that's all I was pointing out. and poor deisgn can lead to warped head also like in the straight 5 colorado's. Just saying whats to stop them from trying to say you installed a non factory item on the car so now its not a factory set up and we only warranty factory cars. obviously the suspension wouldn't be touchable but I have seen dealerships go as far as saying because you put an intake, exhaust and chip on the car it created too much hp for that tranny to support so thats why it blew up on your.

I am just saying get it in writing!!! I'm taking my gfs car to the shop tomorrow to talk to a rep of from the dealership and I want to get all of what they will and won't cover cleared up. Like cia they won't cover the intake obviously and the sensor, exhaust they won't cover the mufflers or cat w/e. It's worth the hassle just getting their word isn't enough. A friend took his truck to a dealership with a lift on it and asked if they would still extend the warranty even though it was lifted. they said no its all covered no problem... he blew his tranny and they blamed it on the lift n said you SOL.

bottom line get it all in writing and your covered!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Remember that KIA can say whatever they want because they are banking on the fact that you will not take them to court and pull in expert witnesses over most repairs. If you are driving a KIA chances are you don't have that much cash to pay attorneys and experts while you car sits unrepaired.

It would be up to you to prove in court what they claim is false. I'm not saying don't do mods...just know the ramifications and run it by your service manager. Get it in writing when possible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Remember that KIA can say whatever they want because they are banking on the fact that you will not take them to court and pull in expert witnesses over most repairs. If you are driving a KIA chances are you don't have that much cash to pay attorneys and experts while you car sits unrepaired.

It would be up to you to prove in court what they claim is false. I'm not saying don't do mods...just know the ramifications and run it by your service manager. Get it in writing when possible.
+1 to that...but also get to know your service manager and bring a coffee to the receptionist whenever you go in for maintenance...be the guy that they're glad to have on their appointment schedule. I always went by, if you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours. I've heard a lot of bad stories about my local kia dealership but through my dealings with my '01 rio it's been nothing but great.

I imagine the people with bad stories are the people that hear a little squeek in their dash that can't be duplicated and come in threatening to take everyone and their mother to court if it's not fixed within the hour.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
It appears that dealerships are all the same.
When it comes to anything other than stock, they typically have no idea or no interest.
I drive in to local dealerships and most of the new/used car sales staff go outside and start checking out the Koup SXR.

The most common reaction is "Wow, love the body kit and spoiler! Where did you get it?"
My response..."through your parts counter!"
Dealership response..."Wait a minute, we sell all these parts?"

BTW...it's interesting to hear other people's experience with dealerships regarding engine related mods. You'll need to make some good friends at the dealership that will back you up once something goes wrong....or else you can forgetaboutit!

·
Registered
34 Posts

remember that kia can say whatever they want because they are banking on the fact that you will not take them to court and pull in expert witnesses over most repairs. If you are driving a kia chances are you don't have that much cash to pay attorneys and experts while you car sits unrepaired.

it would be up to you to prove in court what they claim is false. I'm not saying don't do mods...just know the ramifications and run it by your service manager. Get it in writing when possible.
extremely important point

·
Registered
6 Posts

exactly! you present a signed piece of paper showing what they said they will cover and there will never be a need to go to court.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts