Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Kia Forte ex 2.0L and I have been told I have a catalytic converter out. I have heard from some there are two, one on the manifold and one further down and from others there is only one. My question is are there one or two catalytic converters and how much should I expect to pay?
Kia first told me that it would be $2600 but upon further discussion the price changed to $1000. I am worried that if there are indeed two the manifold converter would need replaced too.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who told you that you have a cat out? What DTC codes are they seeing?

Two cats (1 - front pipe and 6 - cat converter) :

Exhaust Components for 2014 Kia Forte | My Kia Parts

Both should cost you @800 NEW! Plus install if you can't do it yourself.
there was not an engine light on. This particular Kia worked on my car two weeks ago & fixed an electrical issue. When I got my car back, it was slow to accelerate and didn’t feel right. I took it back & they put a camera through the pipe & said I need a new cat. Apparently it’s damaged because of the electrical issue.
The original cost was $500 for the electrical issue, now they want $1000 for one cat. But I’m worried the second cat will also be damaged & we are told that repair will be even more expensive. Just don’t know what to do at this point. KBB says the car is worth $4500-$5500. 2014 Kia Forte ex with 90k miles

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
IMO you are being taken for a ride by a bunch of criminals. Take your vehicle to an independent shop for proper diagnosis. Don't mention anything about what this stealership said about the cat being bad or the work they did previously - just tell them you feel it's not accelerating as it did previously.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte5 Lx, GDI
47 Posts
^ What he said...13 days later I assume you have it figured out, but if not that's the best route. Sometimes when cats fail, they collapse or get stopped-up and that can make the vehicle feel very sluggish, in extreme cases even completely die. It just seems odd to happen right after getting electrical work done...sounds they were idiots and messed something up to me.

But do what kiaguy said (if you haven't got it figured out)...taken to a trusted and honest shop and just tell them you have no idea what's wrong. Expect to pay labor for the inspection of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully you haven't paid for this yet. KIA just released a recall on the 2.0L engines. They are trying to make me pay for my catalytic converter/muffler, even though the faulty engine (which needed replacing) caused the the issue. Enter your VIN into the KIA website and see if your's comes up. Do not let KIA get away with this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts