Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Forte GT 2020
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Someone noticed that the brakes are very weak? I don`t compare with bmw and etc.
But even Hyundai Sonata has much better brakes than Forte GT turbocharged(which should has better brakes, than regular car)
I went to dealership, they said all good :sneaky::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
78 Posts
That's interesting. Bought a 2019 FE last year, trading in a 2003 Mitsu EVO w/fantastic Brembo brakes. One of the reasons I picked the Forte FE is it's one of the few cars in this price range w/front & REAR discs. While the Forte's brakes aren't as good as the Brembos, I have actually been impressed with how good they are. Would have thought the GT would be even better (don't know the GT specs, but I would have guessed bigger discs, pads & calipers). IMO, dealers in general will do everything they can to AVOID WARRANTY WORK. You might look up 60-0 stopping specs (usually distance from brake used to car halts) & see if yours approximates them. If it's worse, shove that in their face.

·
Registered
Kia Forte GT 2020
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Bought a 2019 FE last year, trading in a 2003 Mitsu EVO w/fantastic Brembo brakes. One of the reasons I picked the Forte FE is it's one of the few cars in this price range w/front & REAR discs. While the Forte's brakes aren't as good as the Brembos, I have actually been impressed with how good they are. Would have thought the GT would be even better (don't know the GT specs, but I would have guessed bigger discs, pads & calipers). IMO, dealers in general will do everything they can to AVOID WARRANTY WORK. You might look up 60-0 stopping specs (usually distance from brake used to car halts) & see if yours approximates them. If it's worse, shove that in their face.
60-0 stopping it’s kind of hard to measure, but it’s realistic 😎
I will try

·
Registered
2020 Forte GT
25 Posts
just got mine less than a month ago and already have 1700 miles on my 20 GT and the brakes I have found are great. No issues to speak of

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 forte gt 6 speed standard. Had the car since September. Have been through two sets of rotars. Both times the warranty covered them. Still love the car. They should have went with drilled and slotted imo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine are very much not weak. They're not as good as my bmw, but when the automatic brakes decide they want to stop, it stops. Painfully.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2020 GT has no braking problems, when a deer comes and auto brakes engage you better be quick on the clutch. But i don't think they did anything special with the GT brakes. It's only a 2800lb car it doesn't need giant brakes. Not sure how you drive yours, they do have a cts-v big brake kit for the forte gt. But unless you're on a track I HATE drilled and slotted rotors. You pay more for them and they don't last as long. How does the pedal feel? Hard, soft? Or does the pedal feel normal and you feel like the stopping power just isn't there?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah, Corollas are really the worst in class as far as braking is concerned. Brake distance like a container ship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys
Someone noticed that the brakes are very weak? I don`t compare with bmw and etc.
But even Hyundai Sonata has much better brakes than Forte GT turbocharged(which should has better brakes, than regular car)
I went to dealership, they said all good :sneaky::rolleyes:
I've test driven the Sonata and I'm not seeing it. The GT is much better than the Sonata I drove. I've got no problems with mine. Are your pads glazed over, maybe?

I have a 2020 forte gt 6 speed standard. Had the car since September. Have been through two sets of rotars. Both times the warranty covered them. Still love the car. They should have went with drilled and slotted imo.
If they were drilled and slotted from factory, I probably wouldn't have bought the car. For a car this light, a solid, vented rotor is a better option. It's a physically larger surface for the brake pads to grip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The brakes on the GT are actually pretty good, not as good as my mustangs brakes (theyll throw you forwards bc they stop the car so quick) but they are GOOD.
I have had no complains about them...yet.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I think the anti-lock system on these cars is so good it takes a serious push to get the tires to screech! Because of no screeching I got the feeling the brakes weren't working as strong when I had to panic stop for an idiot who ran a stop sign, but it did stop well short of the idiot without getting a squeal...so they do work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Forte GT for 4 months now 4500 miles.
I live in California 10 minutes from Angeles Crest (extensive canyon roads). Here you can easily reach 100+ mph on larger straights, but generally you are getting up to 50-70mph and braking down to 30-40 often.

I have already overheated my OEM rotors and pads.
I get violet vibration now from the front end when the rotors heat up. My guess is severe pad deposit.

I think the OEM brakes stop quite well, but they don't hold up to prolonged, aggressive driving. If you are going to do hours of canyon driving or track days, I suggest getting upgraded pads, rotors and brake fluid.

You might get away with just upgraded pads and fluid, but if you can afford it, I'd say go for rotors, too.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My brakes are now starting to get vibration at higher speeds and do not feel as sharp. I am at 18k miles on the factory brakes. I think I will do the fronts soon. Any particular brand recommended?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My brakes are now starting to get vibration at higher speeds and do not feel as sharp. I am at 18k miles on the factory brakes. I think I will do the fronts soon. Any particular brand recommended?
It doesn't look like Akebono makes the ProACT for the Forte GT yet. That's been my go-to. Raybestos and Power Stop have options and you could always go with the OEM Hyundai Mobis. Of the available options, I'd probably go with the Power Stop Z17. The Z23 might serve you better if you're harder on your brakes. Just make sure you also bleed your brakes and replace the rotors while you're in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my Forte GT for 4 months now 4500 miles.
I live in California 10 minutes from Angeles Crest (extensive canyon roads). Here you can easily reach 100+ mph on larger straights, but generally you are getting up to 50-70mph and braking down to 30-40 often.

I have already overheated my OEM rotors and pads.
I get violet vibration now from the front end when the rotors heat up. My guess is severe pad deposit.

I think the OEM brakes stop quite well, but they don't hold up to prolonged, aggressive driving. If you are going to do hours of canyon driving or track days, I suggest getting upgraded pads, rotors and brake fluid.

You might get away with just upgraded pads and fluid, but if you can afford it, I'd say go for rotors, too.

Just my 2 cents.
I was on Kern canyon at the weekend and had same problem. I'm going to try different pads first but yeah the initial bite is ok but it fades really quickly. Had a couple of squeaky bum moments coming up to a 20 and 30 mph bends.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts