Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, I am an ASE certified mechanic working out of Seattle Washington. I am starting this discussion to talk about the "eco" tune Kia put on their Fortes with the Manual Transmission. So a bit of back story on this idea, kia has a switch on the gen2 fortes (2014-2016) on the top of the clutch pedal this switch tells the PCM that the clutch is depressed, for emission purposes the PCM then retards the engine timing so the vehicle can run cleaner at stops. What this means for the owner: your car loses power momentarily while you press the clutch pedal. Every time you hit the clutch the engine loses power that isn't regained until the clutch is fully released (hence jerky starts) meaning while your attempting to release the clutch at the bite point you don't have the same power as when the clutch is fully released which leaves the first few seconds of movement very aggressive between you giving more gas and the engine coming back to full power then you have to release some gas to have a smooth acceleration without bursting forward.

This was a long rant to ask a simple question: Who tunes Fortes in Washington? I have come to the conclusion that the only way this vehicle can be fun to drive and be ok in traffic is if you re-tune the car to get rid of that horrible clutch pedal sensor. For those of you who say the obvious; No, unplugging the sensor will not work, when you unplug it and drive, the car has a "limp" mode it uses which causes aggressive revving when you apply the clutch about 2k RPM at every shift, also it takes away traction control.

The current state of the vehicle is very stock (lightweight wheels, wider tires, and CDV delete)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that bit of information. I’ve been trying to work out why my car feels sluggish when I engage the “eco” mode. Makes sense now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts