Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for someone who has the Kia factory iPod cable, and has an iPhone 3G.

I understand that the cable will give you control of your iPhone via iPod through the stereo controls (I assume that includes steering wheel controls as well). My question is can you control Pandora through the controls as well, or does it only work and apply with the actual iPod feature of the phone. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure about the Pandora app as it no longer is available to purchase in the App store. I highly doubt that it would be controlled through the Forte's stereo interface. Those usually only work on the iPod controls.

My question is about charging the iPod through the iPod cable. Does the cable charge the iPod as well as sync it to the stereo? I know that some of the cables in other cars will only allow the iPod to be viewed and controlled by the car stereo but don't charge. Will the iPod/iPhone charge while it's being controlled by the stereo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know if you ever found your answer but I just got my iPod cable today and it works perfect with my iPhone 3G. The downside is it doesn't work with Pandora. And yes it does charge. I tried with my iPod and iPhone (which means it should work with the iPod touch too)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ipod cable won't work...I was just using the usb cable that came with my touch...it connects and disconnects quickly and constantly, just for a second at a time, never long enough to play any music...do I need the auxilary cord?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, unless you don't care to have all the feature control through the car. Your other option would be to just plug in an audio aux cable into the car and headphones jack. I belive that someone posted some links to the Kia iPod cable for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Domt1985, I figured it would charge as well, but you never know!

I have used the headphone jack aux cable and it does simply play whatever music you have playing on your iPod/iPhone but you have zero control over it. The Apple sync USB cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone is not recognized through the USB connection in the Forte. You MUST use the Kia iPod sync cable for it to recognize the device and let you control it. They are around $40 through the Kia dealer but there are plenty of them on eBay for less than $20. Another great option is to just use a USB thumbdrive instead of your iPod. It is totally controllable through the steering wheel and stereo. I think the worst option is to use the aux cable and just listen to your iPod through it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 5th gen ipod nano and it is hooked up with the regular white usb cord and ran into the glove box..It works fine and charges also the only thing is we tried my wifes touch and that wouldn't even connect lol...But it still charges and i can control it through my stereo :)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have a 5th gen ipod nano and it is hooked up with the regular white usb cord and ran into the glove box..It works fine and charges also the only thing is we tried my wifes touch and that wouldn't even connect lol...But it still charges and i can control it through my stereo :)
The iPod Touch doesn't work with the white USB cord, or the Kia iPod cord?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia iPod USB cord

I have the 2011 Kia Forte EX sedan and here are my experiences with my iPhone 4: I first bought the apple USB cord assuming it would work (figured if KIA USB dock only works with KIA USB cord it would have come with the car, unfortunately I was wrong). The iPhone connected by the apple USB was not recognized at all by the KIA and it had no functionality. I then tried a knockoff of the KIA USB that I found on Amazon.com. This only worked like a AUX device and did not allow for me to use the KIA wheel or dash controls to skip songs and had AUX quality sound (poorer quality than the USB but not horrible). I finally broke down and bought KIA brand USB connector which is insanely overpriced (i think it was about $60), this provides the best sound quality (better than Sirius and AUX) and directs all media controls through the car system so that I can use the steering wheel or radio dash controls. I later realized one more option, when playing music from pandora or itunes on my iPhone i can change the Audio source to my bluetooth connection to the Forte and the select AUX on the car radio system and the iPhone will stream through the car speakers using bluetooth instead of an AUX cord (functions as AUX so still no controlling the music through the car system, just streaming).

I still have some glitches that I could use advice on fixing. The first is that often times I will turn on my car, plug my iPhone 4 into the KIA USB attachment and the music will play for a short bit until the bluetooth in the iPhone recognizes the bluetooth device in the KIA and the iphone will automatically switch speaker device setting to KIA Forte bluetooth. This is simply fixed by changing speaker device back to the KIA USB source but it's somewhat annoying if I've already started driving and I have to look at my iPhone and fix the settings; any ways to avoid this? This second issue, and more annoying one in my opinion, is using pandora through the iPhone and USB dock. I can play pandora but when connected to the USB the controls for skipping songs defaults to the ipod music library. I can control the sound level through the car but if skip songs through the car controls it switches from pandora to the ipod music library. It's somewhat odd because while the iPhone is connected to the USB I can skip songs in pandora from the iPhone, conversely, when using the USB to play my ipod library on my iPhone I have no way of controlling the music from the iPhone and can only use the car controls to pick library, songs, playlists or adjust volume. Anyone understand this technology better and how to better manipulate it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts