Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Kia is looking to add a little extra panache to its image by dropping the current list of model names in favor of alphanumeric designations. According Chung Eui-sun, to Vice Chairman to Hyundai Motor Co., which owns Kia, the Korean automaker is looking to make the switch in North America. Currently, Kia uses short alphanumeric badges for many of its models in its home-market of South Korean and in other markets throughout the world. For instance, the new Optima sedan, unveiled at the New York Auto Show, is badged as the K5 in Korea. This switch might also result in the Forte changing its name to the K3.

Numerous other models would, however, retain their traditional names, including the Forte Koup, Soul and Sportage. Those models share the same names in Korea.

The decision isn’t final, however, and Kia is worried that an expanded product portfolio, combined with alphanumeric designations, could make for confused consumers. We have to agree.

More: Kia Looking to Scrap Model Names for Alphanumeric Badges on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm going to go against the idea. I like the Kia car names. I find they all just roll off the tongue well. Rio, Forte, Sorento, Borrego, Optima...etc. And that new Optima looks awesome, like an Accord on crack and steriods.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
and meth.... too crazy? lol jk
i think the new optima looks so sexy. once again, kia has succeeded in making the front end of the car super aggressive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't like this idea either. It'll make it too hard for people to remember what model names correspond with what car. I know I can never keep track of Mercedes' models...

But on the flipside, I love the new Optima!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ah nooo reminds of back in the day when nissan called there truck the d20 or what not, I'd much have a name like somebody else said there names sound good so why mess with a good thing?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
If we get to "vote" on it I vote keep the names...LoL...Seriously...Keep the names!!!

Besides, you never know when the alphanumbers can be funny...like the Pontiac G6 -- in Germany it is pronounced Pontiac Gay Zex...LoL!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like the established names,too. With all the alpha numerics &/or new names for 'older' models,I can't keep up/remember half the cars. When Pontiac went to ''G6'' & Infinety had G35,Mazda the ''6'',I knew it sucked,but didn't know it would help kill Pontiac. (The G6's cross-eyed looking taillights & tiny trunk opening never helped either.) KIA,you picked good names,this 55 year old says keep 'em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never liked worthless namechanges. I still refer to the rsx as an integra...

speaking of worthless namechanges.. the k3 is no longer called the k3.

nerd voice on " Beyond the famous K2 check out the sisters K1, K3, K4 and K5 - Thomas Montgomerie was the member of the team who designated it "K2" for being the second peak of the Karakoram range. The other peaks were originally named K1, K3, K4 and K5, but were eventually renamed Masherbrum, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum II and Gasherbrum I respectively. The K2 mountain, the worlds second highest mountain, is commonly known as the hardest mountain in the world to climb. This is due to technical difficulty and objective danger combined with its immense height.

The Karakoram is home to more than sixty peaks above 7,000m (22,960 ft). The range is about 500 km (300 mi) in length, and is the most heavily glaciated part of the world outside of the polar regions.

About the Google Earth "K1 K2 K3 K4 K5 mountain" tour: Take a tour of the 5 "K" mountains including the most famous K2 mountain, the second tallest point in the world, located in the vast Karakoram range. View one or several photos of each peak ajusted to combine GE terrain feature with the original photo viewpoint. By using the 'play tour' option of GE, combined with the terrain feature enabled, you will get an impression of how Thomas Montgomerie stood on Mount Haramukh back in 1856 and spotted K1 and K2, some 130 miles, 209 kilometers, to the north. See the first drawing and fly from the Montgomerie viewpoint to the closeup of K1 and K2. Tour creator: Tom Kjeldsen, ge.dooley.dk, created April 2008. Recommended to be viewed as a 'Play tour' in Google Earth with terrain feature enabled. "

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
First off Hyundai does not own Kia, they own 36% of Kia, it started as a 51% ownership and has since dropped off.

Wikipedia Entries for Kia and Hyundai Kia Automotive Group

I don't feel like it will ring well with American buyers. I think it would make sense for Hyundai with them trying to be a Luxury brand but I think Kia should stick to the name game. They have some good names that ring well with customers.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Alphanumeric names are the most uncreative and boring way to name a car. It takes away from the car's character and makes it seem like an old Eastern Bloc tin can. It's bad enough Lincoln and Cadillac have an all letter lineup, for Kia to do it is just plain wrong! They need catchy names to give their relatively recently unknown, formerly bland cars something to build upon for mass recognition. Great, creative names, not alphanumerics, will help turn the new leaf they are seeking, and match the sweet new Tiger Nose styling!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
Keep them as is but change the Kia badges to a K badge
LMAO!!! If Kia changes the nameplate to a "K" it won't be long before the first few new owners will be posting how they changed their car's nameplate to the old "KIA" nameplate to be different...LoL

·
Registered
51 Posts
What about Saturn their first lineups had no names, just the S-Series and then the L-Series came to and then they started getting smart and dubbing names like the Vue, Ion, Relay, Sky, Outlook, Aura, and Astra....

People don't do backwards to well... stay with the names... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts