·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia's New Direction
By Jason Kavanagh, Engineering Editor
Date posted: 07-14-2009

.... SKIP AHEAD
So the obvious question is whether a true performance variant of the Koup in the vein of the Si is in the cards. When pressed, Kia's marketing head replies, "A higher-performance model has not been decided yet. However, we are working on a direct-injected 200-hp turbocharged 1.6-liter engine that would fit in the Koup."

As the next logical step in the Forte's evolution, that's something we can get behind.
If they turbo the koup with 1.6 200hp engine, I doubt anyone would really impressed. At least, I'm not. Of course this was back in 09, Hopefully if they do decide to turbo, They will give it the 2.0T in the Hyundai.

I would much rather have a turbokits turbo and be pumping out 300HP+/300+ Torque.

Would you give up your warranty for the extra horsepower, or would you go with a 2.0T Koup and keep the warranty?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
Would you give up your warranty for the extra horsepower, or would you go with a 2.0T Koup and keep the warranty?
Nope, I will keep my warranty, thank you. If they just install a 1.6LT it won't be worth it for me to buy either. It's an old saying but still true...there are no substitutes for cubic inches...use the 2.4L and make it a memorable car!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nope, I will keep my warranty, thank you. If they just install a 1.6LT it won't be worth it for me to buy either. It's an old saying but still true...there are no substitutes for cubic inches...use the 2.4L and make it a memorable car!

I agree.. if there going to do this they should make it worth the while;)
2.4 turbo would be neat..

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
The Koup SX should have shipped with 200hp out of the gate so the performance matched the looks.

That being said, I'd glady toss away the warrenty for a 300HP Forte (and will be doing it assuming Toyota doesn't sell the FT-86 in Canada).

·
Registered
316 Posts
They say the limit on a FWD car is 250HP. There's no way Kia is going to put the 2.0L turbo in because it makes 274HP. The 1.6L at 200 makes sense.

In my opinion there's not enough of a gap between the EX and SX. I got an EX because the extra 25HP didn't really appeal to me. If it had have been 50HP and the SX would run at 200 then i probably would have went with that. With minor mods (intake/exhaust) that can jump up to 225 and then the car's a beast without all the hassle of an after market turbo.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
They say the limit on a FWD car is 250HP. There's no way Kia is going to put the 2.0L turbo in because it makes 274HP. The 1.6L at 200 makes sense.

In my opinion there's not enough of a gap between the EX and SX. I got an EX because the extra 25HP didn't really appeal to me. If it had have been 50HP and the SX would run at 200 then i probably would have went with that. With minor mods (intake/exhaust) that can jump up to 225 and then the car's a beast without all the hassle of an after market turbo.

There are several FWD factory cars with more than 250 HP...and Kia could do what Chevy did...make the PCM (ECU) detune the car when power accessories (intake, exhaust) are added so the torque doesn't go above a prescribed number.

As far as the performance gap between the EX and SX...my daughter's Koup EX cannot keep up with my Koup SX...and my wifes Sedan SX beats both of ours...GRRRRR...LoL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts