Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is sticking with these and who is blowing it off? I know there's a TSB out to use only Kia oil filters, but I call BS.

90% of owners who haven't seen the TSB are in all likelihood getting their oil changed at their favorite mechanic or at the quick oil change places.

I'd like to use a Bosch or Purolator, but so far have used only the Kia filter...entirely for warranty purposes. But, in reality, an owner couldn't be denied warranty based on the TSB because Kia has not mailed it out to each owner, but merely made it available to their dealers and technicians.

Thoughts?... or experiences with non OEM oil filters?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my Forte SX into the dealer this week for an oil change, and the paperwork said they used a universal filter. I have not crawled under and checked, but you would think a Kia dealer would actually use a Kia filter given the TSB.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...I would check it, see what they used. The OEM filter is blue and has a Hyundai symbol on it...and Korean writing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't have any experience changing the oil in my Forte yet but I have a 2005 Sorento and I've used nothing but Fram or Purolator filters for it. Have not experienced any issues. I'll use the same on the Forte as they take the same filter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
does any one know the OEM part number for the forte oil filter i need to do a oil change cuz im not paying the dealer 49.99 for a oil change...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know that the Pennzoil filter number is PZ33 if you want to cross reference.. I'll double check some others tomorrow at work as my job now is oil changes... It's the same filter number for essentially every Hyundai which KIA falls pretty much in the same category..

·
Registered
33 Posts
does any one know the OEM part number for the forte oil filter i need to do a oil change cuz im not paying the dealer 49.99 for a oil change...
49.99 for an oil change. I thought the 29.99 I paid was too high, given I have a box of filters I paid 5.50 a piece for and I can get oil for 12 a jug, but I was having my hard 2nd to 3rd gear shift looked at so I paid it. Then I found out they used Penzoil. I am not going there again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know advance in my area is having a sale that started yeterday that has a Mobil 1 Extended life oil change with filter for 29.99 and regular Mobil 1 for 27.99, also pennzoil for 15.99, Quaker State for 15.99, and 1 gallon jugs of Castrol GTX (4 Quarts) for 11.99.... Anyone near an advance check it out and stock up or if your in the Pittsburgh area I'll hook you up cause I'm tax exempt there as well for work...

(All prices in clude either Mobil 1 filter, Purolator, or Pennzoil filter. 1 gallon jug just by itself-no filter)

Also Bosch IR plugs BOGO... Good deals this month.. Happy hunting...

·
Registered
486 Posts
hmm I had every intention of going to Amsoil Synth.... But I would not run the stock filter with it.. so this makes me reconsider... I am already breaking enough warranty rules.

·
Registered
436 Posts
hmm I had every intention of going to Amsoil Synth.... But I would not run the stock filter with it.. so this makes me reconsider... I am already breaking enough warranty rules.
I'm curious....why not the stock filter with Amsoil?

I'd like to go with Amsoil or Redline myself, but not real sure at the moment how Kia would react if I did have an engine failure. Using Penzoil Platinum and Kia filters at the moment.

·
Registered
486 Posts
well I am no expert by any means... but watching speed channel and reading the synth oil websites lead me to believe that the synth oils need a different type of filtration. Well not different maybe... better than stock. I don't have the direct quotes from either speed channel or the websites to back that up but I am sure it could be argued either way. I just get the feeling from both that you need to step up to a high quality filter for the synth oils.

here is the Amsoil spill on thier filter.

http://syntheticmotoroilfilters.com/

·
Registered
436 Posts
Cool...thanks. Hadn't heard that, but I don't research filters much since I'm doing what I can to avoid warranty entanglements. I thought you were gonna tell me something horrible like 'the detergents in synthetic oils causes the filter media on OEM filters to disintegrate'. WHEW!

I do remember one poor guy on the Mazda forum I frequent that ran into warranty issues due to oil starvation caused by the internal collapse of an aftermarket filter. What it boiled down to is that if it had been a Mazda filter that collapsed, he would've had no worries. But since it was a Purolator, he had to bend over. This is why I'm sticking to OEM filters and API certified oils. And if I'm to be honest with myself, I'm sure Penzoil Platinum and Mobil1 are perfectly up to the task of protecting the Koup's engine. And if the Kia filters don't do a good job, the new engine is on their dime. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I am no expert by any means... but watching speed channel and reading the synth oil websites lead me to believe that the synth oils need a different type of filtration. Well not different maybe... better than stock. I don't have the direct quotes from either speed channel or the websites to back that up but I am sure it could be argued either way. I just get the feeling from both that you need to step up to a high quality filter for the synth oils.

here is the Amsoil spill on thier filter.

Synthetic Motor Oil Filters
The reasons given(by some) for use a premium filter with synthetic oil is due to the longer oil change intervals that synthetic oils provide, and that most people take advantage of.

Personally, I don't think you need an Amsoil or Mobil 1 filter for use with synthetic oil. I've never used a special filter in my Audi, which requires only full synthetic oil...and that's with Audi recommended 10k intervals.

Another consideration is the size of the filter. Smaller filters, which are becoming more common, get dirty quicker and can become clogged sooner due to less total area of filter media inside the filter.

For example: Subaru changed to a very small filter for their 2.5 engines in 2007. It's tiny, like a motorcycle filter. The reason for the change is because in that engine application, the exhaust downpipes are very close to the filter, in fact too close for the old, larger filter. Subaru was concened about excess heat at the filter, and so re-designated a much smaller filter which allowed more space for air cooling at its location. I don't like using that small of a filter, but what ya gonna do?

The OEM Kia filter, which is actually a Hyundai product, seems like a decent sized filter for both the 2.0 and the 2.4 engine. We're talking about 4.0 and 4.5 qt oil capacity.

I normally use Purolator or Bosch oil filters, but it looks like I will be forced to use only Kia OEM due to the oil filter TSB put out by Kia. Are you aware of that TSB? If not, look into it on Kia's corporate tech site. I had the Kia Western Region Technical rep call me on another matter(oil leak), and I discussed the unusual need for only OEM oil filters with him. He basically backed up the reasons as stated in the TSB, so I really didn't get the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
486 Posts
cool thanks... looks like I will be sticking with factory filter then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, simply because of the existence of that oil filter TSB, I'm stuck with using a Kia filter too...for warranty reasons.

The reason the TSB gives is that aftermarket filters may have a different flow rate which could adversely affect function of the CVVT solenoid, causing engine misfires.

I think that's bogus because as an oil filter(any filter) becomes less efficient at flow due to dirt, you're gonna have that same condition anyway.

Could just be a ploy to sell more Kia OEM filters, who knows?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just had yet another vehicle towed in to the shop this week with yet another aftermarket filter installed by the 'owner's boy/friend/father/brother/whatever'. As usual the old aftermarket filter left it's gasket on the filter mount, and then the 'guy that's gunna save you $40 doing it himself' went and screwed on the new aftermarket filter.

And true to form... it was towed in with no oil in the engine after coating a considerable section of freeway with what used to be 4 litres of quality 'crap on sale' from the local parts store. *sigh*

Most (not all, I'll admit) aftermarket filters use a "square cross section" o-ring to seal. These rings are press-fit into the filter, and have a wide, flat sealing surface perfect for all kinds of seals in all kind of applications. Unfortuneately, the material they make them from is really likely to stick to the aluminum housing the filter seals against. If you do use aftermarket (and I am officially telling you not to, the OEM filter is like $6) then PLEASE triple check that the old gasket came off with the filter, or that it uses a 'captive' o-ring as the OEM filter does.

It's not 100% impossible for the OEM filter to not leave it's o-ring on the block - but it is very highly unlikely due to it's different design.

Fortes have not been around long enough for the junk yards to get a good supply built up - so these are still a rather expensive piece to need to replace at YOUR cost for a $3 filter price difference. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Heres ref to the Hyundai Oil filter TSB. I have KIA's somewhere. It was on the same lines.

Hyundai has released a TSB (#05-20-002) "Use of aftermarket engine oil filters causing engine knocking noise.” The TSB notes that, “Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of aftermarket oil filters. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.”

1 - 20 of 33 Posts