Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went back to visit the Kinetic SpeedShop responsible for the 2 racing Koups. I was very grateful and lucky to catch one of the main guys responsible for the project as I was walking out the door and he coming back in. He commented "Nice car!" and then I noticed Kia on his shirt. This was where the fun started. I was given a very detailed tour of the shop, their dyno machines, CNC machines (for fabrication engine parts) and various metal parts for the car, and a lot of other awesome stuff. I saw the 2 koups being worked on, the engines, the brake system, I even sat in the car! Anyway, you can enjoy these pics, sneak peaks of aftermarket stuff for the Koup (and all Fortes) are visible. They are now the official aftermarket producer for Kia America and possibly the world.

Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
HOLY. Man you are lucky, looks like a lot of sexy toys in there... can't wait until I can get my hands on some

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOLY. Man you are lucky, looks like a lot of sexy toys in there... can't wait until I can get my hands on some
I am coming back this friday. Will keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Let us know if you find out what aftermarket parts might be available for us soon. Plus, does anyone think the brake setup looks weak for a race ready vehicle? It looks like it's the stock brake setup.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know if you find out what aftermarket parts might be available for us soon. Plus, does anyone think the brake setup looks weak for a race ready vehicle? It looks like it's the stock brake setup.
Well, from what I saw/was told: Borla and Corsa are their exhausts producers. In house fabrication includes carbon fiber grilles, strutbars, swaybars, and springs. You can see the carbon fiber lined strut bars in one of the pics. They also make the carbon fog lamp inserts as well. The brakes systems that you see on the cars now aren't used for racing. They have the custom brakes sitting in a different pile in the warehouse. You can see the brake vents that direct airflow to cool down the rotors/calipers. They use a Bosch ECU to program their own parameters as the stock one doesn't allow that. That's all I can say right now, but once I get more information and permission I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wow Cool Pictures :) thanks for posting these

I love 3 items the most.. carbon fiber grill :)
Carbon Fiber gas cap Thats amazing looking stuff,
and most cool ImO is that quick disconect strut bar.. I LOVE THAT
*nobody asked me but yeah Lol*

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Anyone notice that sexy custom theta ll motor omggg

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Tell them that we want projectors!!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Anyone notice that sexy custom theta ll motor omggg
:D Yeah I looked at that picture a few times.. Thinking Dam wish I had that one in my koup:)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
That motor has to have some nice internals if not a juicy port and polish. You see were the exhaust manifold gasket goes? It looks nothing near oem. One more thing them motor mounts omgggg I want them.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Yeah, also is it me or did the cam covers look bigger too?..
Maybe I'm wrong but It seems like there alittle bigger..
And I agree that motor has got to have some serious great parts inside..
just looking on the outside hints at the amazing work inside. wish I could have been there to see them build that one

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Its really hard to judge that. Damn I wanna see this motor. Question. Did they change the gearing on that transmission? One more thing look at them monster coil packs. Why do they need bigger coils? A bigger battery? That take off must be insane too

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^^
They most likley are running a Hot set of plugs so they up'd the coils to provide the extra juice, and most likley the plug wires are bigger too..
I'd bet they reworked the whole top end to get abit higher comperssion out of it how much I have no idea :(

I also wondered about the tranny too.. if these cars are like the mitshu eclipse I bet they changed all the snycros in the tranny to brass.. because the stock ones most likley are plastic.. and I'd bet they changed gear ratios too meet the needs of diffrent tracks.. short track.. quick gears, long tracks you'd want gears for a higher top speed..
Wish they'd sell us some of that stuff.

Did you see in the background all those diffrent spring sets.. I'd bet again those are all diffrent in strength. I'd LOVE To go to that shop God it would be like Xmas :)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Xmazs without getting a present lol :p

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The battery's stock mount has been replaced with a reinforced mount in the case of a front end collision so that it does not get knocked off and disengage from the power connectors. The clutch was custom fabricated with all plastic components replaced by metal. I don't know what they did with the transmission. The car's total weight is around 2500-2600lbs, after weight reduction. The entire dash is carbon fiber, saved maybe 20lbs. Door panels are hollowed out (driver is protected by roll cage)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
So they shaved off atleast 1200 pounds thats crazy

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought curb weight is about 3400lbs?

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Everyones stats differ a little but from what I've seen it's 2749.

Ok, official Kia website says:

Kia Forte Koup EX (Manual): 2737

Kia Forte Koup SX (Manual): 2844

Kia Forte Koup EX (Auto): 2799

Kia Forte Koup SX (Auto): 2891

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm. I have an EX 2010 AT, so my transmission probably adds more to the weight. I'll confirm tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts