Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I know there is already a thread about the engine noise in the forum but I just want to share with you my video showing you guys how my Koup engine sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Szaijkk2ScE

Clack Clack Clack...

the sound is very annoying, and it doesnt go away. It started to make the noise around 1K+ then continue on till now around 27K+ mileage.. I've read somewhere that the noise comes from the MLA or Minimum Lash Adjuster. I've brought the car to KIA Service Center in my country but they said its normal.. Other koup also have this noise.. and they said if it start to affect the engine power, then they will only open up the engine to see whats wrong.. currently using fully synthetic 5w-40 oil then change up to 10w-40 then change back to 5w-40 but no difference in the noise.. has anybody Koup sounded like this too? if so, have you got it repaired or something? Thanks :)

Oh btw hi! I'm very new to this forum.. I came a long way from South East Asia :)

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I was about to say...2.0 is EX, but then I read Asia. North America Kia uses 5w-20..is the 40 supposed to be for hotter weather? Someone else might know more about this noise...I haven't heard anything like that on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. the service center recommended us using *w-40 for hot weather.. they might be wrong. But I don't know. My friend came by to my place driving the same car with the same engine, to my surprise his car is way smoother than mine. :( I'll be waiting for anyone who have the noise issue like mine and see if it can be fixed or something..

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Like aqrab said the sound is most likely normal and a better oil will help with the noise. I wouldn't worry about it but I do understand it's annoying.

I always go to the dealership to do my oil changes and I don't really hear the noise most of the time but I went to a cheap and quick lube shop this last time and I can really hear the clacking noise you talk about. There's nothing wrong, it's just annoying. I should of went synthetic..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like aqrab said the sound is most likely normal and a better oil will help with the noise. I wouldn't worry about it but I do understand it's annoying.

I always go to the dealership to do my oil changes and I don't really hear the noise most of the time but I went to a cheap and quick lube shop this last time and I can really hear the clacking noise you talk about. There's nothing wrong, it's just annoying. I should of went synthetic..
Yeah will try to use other brand of oil and see how the sound goes then :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sounds exactly like my engine when it's cold. But it goes away once it warms up. I use 5W-30.

If it's persistent, the MLA's may just need adjusting. Have a dealer take a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds exactly like my engine when it's cold. But it goes away once it warms up. I use 5W-30.

If it's persistent, the MLA's may just need adjusting. Have a dealer take a look.
But on mine it doesn't go away. Also it does not make the clattering noise when it's cold. It only start to make the sound when its warm up and does not go away like everyone else does. So now my question can the MLA's be adjusted? I know our car is using the solid type, not the hydraulic type. Is it possible to be adjusted? Is adjusting the MLA's also the same as adjusting valve clearance? Is adjusting the MLA need to be done regularly? Is it included in the regular car maintenance schedule? i am worried that the dealership is not checking everything when i went for servicing, I always notice them washing the car up, then just change the oil and filter. Now the car is somewhere around 27K+ Km. Sorry for having a lot of question..

Hopefully this weekend I am not too busy and will try to bring the car again to the dealer hopefully they want to check the car..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm haven't got the chance to bring the car to the dealership for a checkup on the engine noise, anyway I uploaded another video of the engine noise.

It's really annoying and i'm just worried that its going to be worst.

Another issue is sometime when I accelerate slowly from 0-30 km or like when moving from a redlight, there is also a knocking sound which I think is related to the noisy engine knocking sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds pretty much like a noisy cam or injector too me.............
Mine makes a similar sound, which I have identified as the injectors.........
Get under the hood and see if you can here it coming more from the valve/ cam area or the injectors.......
How loud is it with all the windows and doors shut and all a/c and fans turned off?
When I have all the doors and windows shut and a/c and fan off it is audible as a very faint ticking noise that can only just be heard above all the other engine noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds pretty much like a noisy cam or injector too me.............
Mine makes a similar sound, which I have identified as the injectors.........
Get under the hood and see if you can here it coming more from the valve/ cam area or the injectors.......
How loud is it with all the windows and doors shut and all a/c and fans turned off?
When I have all the doors and windows shut and a/c and fan off it is audible as a very faint ticking noise that can only just be heard above all the other engine noise.
I have already isolated the sound and it is not coming from the injector.. I know how the injector sound (tick tick tick) but this one sounded more like clack clack clack coming from the valve train area. If i shut the window and close the a/c i can still here the clacking noise though not that loud. only when you step outside the car you can hear the sound very clearly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am also looking into it. I have a 2011 Forte EX sedan with the 2.0 and I hear that sound. I have heard it for a while now (has 65,000 miles on it) and it just started making a slight whistle sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue..with a result.

I found this thread searching for the same issue/sound coming from a 2013 forte ex 2.0. I guess it is just something we have to live with. At least mine will get somewhat quiet after it heats up. very noticeable when it is cold.

This video really shows where the issue lies. I for sure thought it was the valves. but Nope. Watch the entire video.

https://youtu.be/CJ0BIcc2lD8

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
.... This video really shows where the issue lies. ...
That's an interesting video that I'd already seen previously. Interesting, but IMO there's no way to extend this past the individual engine that was being examined.

He said 'the rings chewed through the piston walls'. But there's no oil change history given in the vid, so how can anyone determine what the 'real' cause of the failure was? Poor oil maintenance would be the first suspect for any failure such as this one.

But if anyone wants to claim this is a systemic issue, and has nothing to do with oil, then I guess we can expect to see massive numbers of these scored cylinder wall engine failures beginning to show up real soon on the higher mileage engines. Personally, I won't be losing any sleep over this video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts