Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bored. We are always comparing Fortes to other cars, so I figured it would be worth mentioning that I compared a Forte to another Forte.

My brother is up for a visit, he has a Koup SX 6spd with an intake and the throttle mod. I had a Koup EX 5spd loaner car today, they didn't have an SX sedan. We figured we would take them for a rip today to compare them overall.

I got to use his SX, as he wanted to see how the EX worked.

I like the game of chase, 1 car in front 1 car in back. The back car announces he is going for a pass (to give the front car plenty of time to get ready), and if you can successfully pass the front car you are the winner, if the front car can avoid being passed, it is the winner. Then you swap positions. I got the idea from watching Touge Battles, plus passing a car on a highway or bypass while staying within posted speed limits isn't an immediate danger to other people (like lining up in the middle of a road).

Anyways the SX was the pure winner, even being behind 1-1.5 car lengths at the start, it was able to pass the EX without any problems. And after seeing that there was no point in putting the SX in the front position.

It would have been more fun if it was an SX sedan vs the SX Koup, but oh well it was fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
I am bored. We are always comparing Fortes to other cars, so I figured it would be worth mentioning that I compared a Forte to another Forte.

My brother is up for a visit, he has a Koup SX 6spd with an intake and the throttle mod. I had a Koup EX 5spd loaner car today, they didn't have an SX sedan. We figured we would take them for a rip today to compare them overall.

I got to use his SX, as he wanted to see how the EX worked.

I like the game of chase, 1 car in front 1 car in back. The back car announces he is going for a pass (to give the front car plenty of time to get ready), and if you can successfully pass the front car you are the winner, if the front car can avoid being passed, it is the winner. Then you swap positions. I got the idea from watching Touge Battles, plus passing a car on a highway or bypass while staying within posted speed limits isn't an immediate danger to other people (like lining up in the middle of a road).

Anyways the SX was the pure winner, even being behind 1-1.5 car lengths at the start, it was able to pass the EX without any problems. And after seeing that there was no point in putting the SX in the front position.

It would have been more fun if it was an SX sedan vs the SX Koup, but oh well it was fun nonetheless.
I have a sedan SX and Koup SX...my sedan walks away from my Koup off the line:mad:. They are too close to call around 50-80 MPH, depends on who puts their foot down first...:DLoL! I haven't taken them above that as I don't really care to know. My sedan SX auto against a 2.0 auto off the line...there was no comparison...wasn't a problem for the 2.4 -- not even close.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My sedan SX auto against a 2.0 auto off the line...there was no comparison...wasn't a problem for the 2.4 -- not even close.
I'm talkin the base model though. Mine falls flat on its face. lol
1st and 2nd in the 4 speed are soooo long.
Had I known about the throttle mod I would have gone with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
So 2707/156hp is 17.35 LB/HP
And 2961/173hp is 17.11 LB/HP

If your weights are correct, the SX still has the better power to weight.
...and don't forget the torque difference and even more important for acceleration the gearing of the 4 speed auto/5 speed manual Vs the 5 speed auto and 6 speed manual -- the 5 speed auto and 6 speed manual have some LOW (numericaly higher) 1st gear ratios!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...and don't forget the torque difference and even more important for acceleration the gearing of the 4 speed auto/5 speed manual Vs the 5 speed auto and 6 speed manual -- the 5 speed auto and 6 speed manual have some LOW (numericaly higher) 1st gear ratios!
Tis true. Let's organize a meet and put this to rest. My money is still on the Sx. :cool:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Tis true. Let's organize a meet and put this to rest. My money is still on the Sx. :cool:
OK, come on down to Florida...I'm not going where it's cold...LoL

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK, come on down to Florida...I'm not going where it's cold...LoL
Not that cold yet. Plus I don't have an LX

Just because I'm OCD and wanted to know:
So 2707/144hp is 18.79LB/FT LB
And 2961/168hp is 17.62 LB/FT LB

Someone find the gear ratios. Or the maximum speed obtained in gears.

Regardless the SX has a better 0-60 anyways. So still thinking the SX.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The gear ratios can be found on the Kia Global Tech site.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
should have swapped the cai into the ex then did the cat and mouse thing. Would have at least been more interesting.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts