Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what others thought about how there koup handles in the snow. We had a snow storm roll thru last night on my way home from work and it was first time driving in the snow with it. The traction controlled worked fairly well and my ABS kept trying to kick in when I barley touch my brakes which was very annoying. It handle's the snow ok on the hiway and backroads with some sliding which is nerve racking since I have only had the car a month and i dont wont to wreck or have some idiot :eek: slide into me so I'm ubber cautious right now. What have you experinced?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It drove great last winter and it still is so far this winter. Love the heated seats, toasty warm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
TeamLopez and Matemorh what tires do you guys run?

·
Registered
40 Posts
i live in alaska and the car handles awesome for me in the snow, i had the nexen all seasons on which did great but just to be safe i got the general altimax winter studded tires and the car handles awesome on the snow and ice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The car handle great but in the city you should disable the traction control. The car handle better than my old mazda 3 but you can feel that the car is well balanced!

·
Registered
536 Posts
The car handle great but in the city you should disable the traction control. The car handle better than my old mazda 3 but you can feel that the car is well balanced!
mathsmart why do you say to disable traction control? I thought the intent was to help in the snow? I am curious.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
TCS in snow is a mixed bag for use. If deep snow and you need to get rolling it will stop you from spinning which means you will go no where. I turn it off to launch in deep snow and turn it back on once you are going good. I find it helps more in light snow and icy conditions where it gets hard to tell if you are losing traction. Happened to me once going up a steep hill on the highway, didn't realize I was spinning up the hill until I noticed my tach readings were too high (on my last car that didn't have TCS).

·
Registered
201 Posts
64 degrees F in CT today. I'm loving it. Not looking forward to the snow. My previous car was AWD. My house is in a neighborhood high on a hill and all 3 roads that access it are pretty steep. Crossing my fingers for a mild winter this year!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
@upstater.. great first post. lol. def know what you mean! -> welcome to the forum!

@Dekz - try it w. traction control on and off when your in the city with DEEP snow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
+1 on turning the TC off...especially for city driving.

I forgot to turn it off the other day an went to pull out on snow covered roads. The car pretty much came to a stop and was hardly moving...then i remembered, shut it off and then the car went. Sure it fish-tailed a little but nothing that wasn't controllable.

A lot of people think TC is a godsend, and it is when you're cruising and hit a patch of ice. But if you're stuck in your driveway and just keep mashing the gas then the car will keep putting your brakes on one wheel..then the other...then switch again...and again...and again...and again and then oh look you've moved a foot, burned a tank of gas and might have enough brakes left to get to the dealership to get them replaced. It's better to just be a good/smart driver in the snow, no driving assist is better than a good driver.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with the comments on turning the TC off when necessary - my driving habits were formed driving cars without TC or ABS and I'm having to adjust them with this car. The fuel cut-off is noticeable when you've got the heater blowing and everything "dims" for a second when the tires break loose and TC kicks in.

Also, I'm not the only one who's having issues with the stock Hanook Optimos, check out the Tirerack reviews (Hankook Optimo H426).

EDIT: I originally posted the URL but for some weird reason what I put into the URL field keeps changing after I save my post?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last week I took the Koup for its first substantial road trip (1600km), and had to drive through a lot of snow. I learned fairly quickly that the Eagle LS all seasons are junk in the snow. The General Exclaim UHP summer tires on my Z24 were better in the snow than the stock tires, and I am not even kidding! The first time I pulled over into a small parking area that hadn't been plowed, and I almost couldn't get out of there because of the small rise to get back to the highway and the traction control kept braking and cutting fuel which made the car stop. People must have thought I was a fool trying to do donuts in a fwd car, when really I was just turning around to get another run at it (5 times!)! Yes, turning the traction control off and using second gear got me out of there.

I have to decide now just how much I plan to drive this car in the winter, because if I do, these tires have to go. It's not just the traction issues, but also the lack of braking or turning ability that they have, it is just dangerous. I'm very disappointed.

The stability control is interesting in the way it works, too. I was experiencing some drastic understeer in a corner and used the parking brake to point the car in the right direction, but the car takes over and applies all of the brakes (maybe not all at the same time, but still) and made for a very uncomfortable feeling. I have used this technique many times in many cars over the years, so I am confident with doing it and keeping control of the car. This car felt very unnatural and uncomfortable doing it (good thing I was at low speed), and it makes me wonder how it would affect the handling at higher speeds. I may just have to find an empty parking lot to experiment in so that I can find out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts