Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe the sound deadener (insulation? metal stiffener?) is causing the Kold Kreases in the Koup's doors.

I was hoping to find something I could remove...this material is hard as a rock! It was laid on the doors metal -- almost looks like an epoxy based material. It would take some hammering to get it off. I'm worried that as the car ages this material might shrink and cause the distortion to become permanent.

...and IF you're inclined to look for yourself be forewarned...the instructions for removing the door panel on the Kia Global Tech site does not show the hidden screw/plastic nut on the inside of the upper door's handle. Even after taking the door panel off I have no idea how you're supposed to unscrew it before removing the door panel! It shows the three screws you have to remove -- the inside the door opening lever pocket screw, armrest pocket screw, and aft of door screw are easy. The forth screw is under the top door handle cover (the up-and-down handle you close the door with) -- not the armrest pocket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I find it funny that the "insulation" is in a very specific area of the door. If the sheet metal is ductile and the epoxy is "hard as a rock!" wouldn't that mean that it is there to prevent the sheet metal from bending? (obviously not working)

·
Registered
140 Posts
This makes total sense to me. My crease is basically in the shape of that plastic insulation material where one end is a bit rounded. I had theorized that there was some sort of insulation material in the panel that was contracting with the colder temps.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know...the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe this material was put there to stop metal distortion. After making the cars I'd bet they saw what was happening and added this hard material in an attempt to stop it. As long as the creases go away in warm weather I can live with it. Time will tell...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
This makes total sense to me. My crease is basically in the shape of that plastic insulation material where one end is a bit rounded. I had theorized that there was some sort of insulation material in the panel that was contracting with the colder temps.
maybe it's the sheet metal that contracts around the hard epoxy and gives it the shape of the "insulation" material (not the other way around).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe it's the sheet metal that contracts around the hard epoxy and gives it the shape of the "insulation" material (not the other way around).
Kind of explains why the crease on top of the quarter panel goes from a line to a bulging "V" shape the colder it gets. The "V" shaped area is VERY difficult to get to...there are two metal walls in that area...can't get your hand behind the outer skin.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yup, that's possible as well. At this point, what I'm worried about is the paint in that area weakening from all the contraction/expansion.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I knew I saw a funny square shape when it was really cold..
Yeah thats whats to blame for that one..

Hmmm good find :)

Now to figure out a better way to do what that stuff seems not to do very well.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
that epoxy layer was placed there by KIA, suggesting that they have probably known about this issue well before we even knew it existed! They had the Forte out in Korea in 2008, and this was probably one of the first issues they had. Wonder how cold it gets in Korea...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to work with a few South Koreans. Winters there can be long, dry and cold. In Seoul, average temperatures in January can range from -5 degrees centigrade to +5 degrees. At those temps, it would be cold enough to experience this contraction issue. If someone here reads Korean, maybe they can search some Korean KIA forums to see if this was an issue over there as well.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew I saw a funny square shape when it was really cold..
Yeah thats whats to blame for that one..

Hmmm good find :)

Now to figure out a better way to do what that stuff seems not to do very well.

Heated garage...LoL!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, winters are long and kind of hard here--- but since I'm a Southerner-- I might be a little biased. I guess it's all relative as someone from Minnesota might think it's all right. Temperatures around Korea can be below freezing for weeks on end. I haven't heard this being an issue in Korea, but I'll ask my Korean friend who is also into cars if he has heard of this issue here.

I've been checking mine since you all have had issues- but nothing. However, I will say this-- I was back in America last month and I saw a few Koups riding around. The Koup (as well as the Sedan) look like it is of lower quality than it is here in Korea. I've seen everyone's pictures, but when you see it in person- there seems to be some difference. I am not positive about this, but the Koup seems more sturdy and better quality over here. Maybe that's the reason why these creases are showing up. I'll ask my friend- he will know.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
@ fortesx2.4
I wonder if we can sand that stuff off.. take some heavy grit sand paper..
like 4o grit or so should hopefully do the trick.

Key question is after that then what?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^
@ fortesx2.4
I wonder if we can sand that stuff off.. take some heavy grit sand paper..
like 4o grit or so should hopefully do the trick.

Key question is after that then what?
Not easy getting a grinder in there...clean-up would be a chore...I'd be worried about bending the metal from the back...and what if the epoxy is there to hold the metal rigid? Removing it could make it even worse. IF the distortion is at the edge of the epoxy I wonder if more epoxy would help?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
That was my other thought too,
but again trying to cover the whole inside door with this stuff also might be a bit messy but I think that would be the better plan.

And perhaps a bit costly, but if it worked there would be no more square when it was cold ;)
Anybody know what they call this body glue stuff?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this only a 2010 issue? I have a 2011 and haven't had this issue on mine. Someone needs to tear into a 2011 door and see if there are any differences.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this only a 2010 issue? I have a 2011 and haven't had this issue on mine. Someone needs to tear into a 2011 door and see if there are any differences.
Time will tell...you either have it or you don't it appears. I do not remember seeing the creases on my 2010 the first winter after buying it (bought in 2009). My wife's 2010 sedan gets a crease too -- but only in the quarter panel. Now that it has warmed up the quarter panels appear to be straight. My Koup's passenger door still has a noticable crease -- which is why I opened it up to see if I could take care of it myself. We'll see what happens as the temps get higher.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kia corp told me it was the sound deadning material about a month ago...they won't fix it

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We had a cold front come through last night and the temperatures dropped again...every crease is on display again! Now that I know where the door epoxy is -- it is the fwd section of the epoxy that is showing through and causing this crease on the door. It is as if the door sheet metal is shrinking but not the epoxy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.