Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found these at sharkracing.com and wanted a second opinion on them. I kinda like the look of LED tails but I'm not so keen on the price. Does anyone else know of any other LED's for the Koup (aside of any DIY modules).

Shark Racing

·
Registered
78 Posts
those are alright but not at that price. YIKES! But what do I know? I dont know what good tail lights run to begin with.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found these also...

Korean Auto Imports

I don't like them as much as the ones from SharkRacing. And the price tag just keeps going up! :( Is it normal for a set of tail lights to cost that much?

·
Registered
533 Posts
We have the glory and pains of having something new on the market... We're not as published as the Genesis Coupe but we're getting there... So, unfortunately anything we want to do is gonna cost an arm and a leg to acquire because not many people make it yet and know they can rape you till more companies join in... It's the nature of the beast... If you were to buy those now I gaurantee in at least a years time you'll be able to get them for half or better cause someone in the states will order a bunch for almost nothing and sell em cheap as hell...

Patience is a virtue... that is not existent in the tuner world...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I knew this would come up before I got them in. I ordered the LED taillights from shark racing seems like forever ago along with some other stuff and am just waiting for them to get here. I was going to wait until I got them in to mention it 2 you all so i could post pics, and i guess i am going to be the gunie pig, ha. I thought sharkracings were the best price considering radicar garage is less but are UFOs and i didn't like them and didn't like the interface on radicar, you don't really get to learn anything about the products before you buy, and Korean auto imports is just way way high priced for everything all around especially the UFO led taillights they have. So as soon as I get them in and get them installed I will post some picks up for everyone's thoughts. I'm thinking about smoking them as well, but since everyone seems interested i will post picks when there installed before i do that to see what everyone thinks. Just a waiting game now!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
The primary reason these are so expensive is that they have to be engineered very carefully. LEDS are effectively point-source which require much more engineering in terms of reflectors. Standard tail lamps emit light in a near spherical pattern (if mounted in a socket in thin air) much the same way a light bulb does. Leds emit only in a 180 dgree patter, so different reflectors need to be made to compensate, and many more sources need to be added. So you have new mouldings, new reflectors, more sources, relays etc.

My only reservation about these is if one led fails, does it take them all out? If one led fails, it'll take as long as it took to get them to you for them to replace it. In our factory setup, you lose your tail light, you lose one bulb.

lets hope they use high quality stuff in their tailights.

D

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for D113 (quality products). And the guy i talked to over email from shark told me that if a led were to fail then I could replace each individual bulb and one going out wouldn't effect the others, therefore not shutting down the whole light completely. Lets hope that's true. The thing that irritates me is they don't really give you much of any tracking info so until its like in my state i wont know where it is or when its coming. But the good side to that is maybe i will forget if it takes long enough and have a really big surprise one day when i get home, HA!, Lets hope it doesn't get to that point either! Ill keep y'all posted

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Make sure you find out how many spare lamps they stock ad Howe much it costs. I'd be a bit concerned that they were telling the truth about the individual lamp part unless they can provde part numbers and prices for the LEDs. If you think about it, to change a lamp there must be a way of sealing the lamp assembly to avoid condensation buildup unless it's vented properly too. The biggest enemy of Leds is heat, so perhaps don't run your headlamps which in turn glows your break lights on a hot summer day. The advantae of incandecent bulbs is they are less succeptable to heat by nature.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to discourage you, those are great looking lights!

Perhaps ask for bulb part numbers/prices to get that part out of the way, and also request a PDF of the instructions to see I they even tell you how to replace items in the event of a failure.

Cheers
D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I emailed shark racing after talking to you guys in this thread and expressed my concerns with replacement LEDs once again in the chance that they may go out. I though I'd share with you guys the response they sent me, even though whomever sent me this email had no recollection of my previous conversation about replacing LEDs and didn't acknowledge anything i talked about the first time (guess that's expected when you deal with a company name instead of the same person each email), Anyways, Shark Racing emailed me back as follows:

If an LED goes out, then it is possible to replace it, but that would mean you would have to cut open the tail lights. And you also need a soldering iron, because all our LEDs are soldered on. If you are handy with this sort of thing. That way, you know what is involved in installing the LEDs, and you can replace LEDs in the future if they ever burn out. If an LED burns out, either one or three LEDs will go out, and the rest of the LEDs will stay on normally. If your order has yet to ship, we can send you some extra LEDs or you can request LEDs from us if the LEDs ever go out after you install them. The LEDs we use are very stable, and there is very little chance that they will burn out prematurely, but I suppose anything can happen. I will email you back with the status of your shipment and whether or not we can still throw extra LEDs in with your order, assuming that it has not yet shipped. Feel free to inquire further if you happen to think of any more questions.

Shark Racing

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Interesting.. I had a feeling it was a sealed unit. The 1 or 3 led thing is interesting too. Did they give you a life expectancy of the LEDs? I apologize if it's on their site, I haven't looked.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No worries, its not on the site anyways, but in one of my earlier emails to SR I asked what the warranty on them would be if any, and i got back to me with something to the effect of "5 years 40,000 miles". Which is good but then again i will have to go through the return process mailing back and forth across the world if anything ever does go wrong. So i assume if its warranted 5 years the life expectancy musy be close to that. I'll just have to wait and see, and i feel good about it regardless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts