Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
The primary reason these are so expensive is that they have to be engineered very carefully. LEDS are effectively point-source which require much more engineering in terms of reflectors. Standard tail lamps emit light in a near spherical pattern (if mounted in a socket in thin air) much the same way a light bulb does. Leds emit only in a 180 dgree patter, so different reflectors need to be made to compensate, and many more sources need to be added. So you have new mouldings, new reflectors, more sources, relays etc.

My only reservation about these is if one led fails, does it take them all out? If one led fails, it'll take as long as it took to get them to you for them to replace it. In our factory setup, you lose your tail light, you lose one bulb.

lets hope they use high quality stuff in their tailights.

D

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Make sure you find out how many spare lamps they stock ad Howe much it costs. I'd be a bit concerned that they were telling the truth about the individual lamp part unless they can provde part numbers and prices for the LEDs. If you think about it, to change a lamp there must be a way of sealing the lamp assembly to avoid condensation buildup unless it's vented properly too. The biggest enemy of Leds is heat, so perhaps don't run your headlamps which in turn glows your break lights on a hot summer day. The advantae of incandecent bulbs is they are less succeptable to heat by nature.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to discourage you, those are great looking lights!

Perhaps ask for bulb part numbers/prices to get that part out of the way, and also request a PDF of the instructions to see I they even tell you how to replace items in the event of a failure.

Cheers
D

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Interesting.. I had a feeling it was a sealed unit. The 1 or 3 led thing is interesting too. Did they give you a life expectancy of the LEDs? I apologize if it's on their site, I haven't looked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.