Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you owners that have the leather option in your Koup, how do you like it? I test drove one with leather and the leather seemed ok but I dunno how its gonna wear.

I know its early but have you see any issues with the leather? Do you think it will uphold well with proper cleaning?

Anyone regret the leather option?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got the interior protection package... basically, if it tears, it will be fixed. normal wear, i dont know how much they would cover.
I'm in my car a heck of alot and i actually find these seats very comfortable. i was very surprised how soft they were. they held up and felt fine on some of the hot days i had the car. so far we havent had any cooler weather, nothing below minus 10, so i can't comment yet on how they'll feel in the winter. i only hope that when it hits minus 40 they dont crack, like i've seen on some older leather. mind you those older leather seats didnt have the same quality.
hope that helps a little.

cheers
Blitz

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I assume when you mean if it tears, it will be fixed - that is only if it is natural tearing? Like if I accidentally catch my keys on the leather and it tears, they won't fix it or could I just pretend it was natural.

How much extra was the interior protection pack?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
When my SX arrives it will of course have leather (All SX's in Canada have standard leather). The biggest danger for all interior materials is UV rays.
Do you remember in the old days how the dashpads would get dry and cracked? That was because of heat and mostly UV rays. Todays cars have UV blockers in the windshield to help reduse this. This is why your transition (auto darkening) glasses don't work in the car.
Unfortunatley, the side and rear windows usually do not have this protection. I would suggest adding UV film to the rest of your windows. You can get it in clear or usually tinted. Just remember, if you are planning to tint your windows, make sure the film your tinter is using has UV blockers.
I would also use a good leather conditioner regularly, especially on the driver's seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
to Alterego-- that's right. from what I understand, they would fix it if I were to tear it by accident.
I hate it when manufactuers have certain options standard in some countries, but not the other. not like I'm super complaining.
BigE, you gonna add some colour to the tint if you get it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will have leather in mine - SX. From what I could tell from the test drive and extended drive of the car the leather was high quality. I probably went in with a low standard since its not Mercedes or Lexus but I was truly impressed. Very soft leather and was comfortable to sit in. Not at all like some leather quality in vehicles like GM that look terrible after a few years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm getting the leather in mine as well, I never even considered not getting it. It does seem to be of good quality, and it's under warranty as well, you can bet your ass that if I have a problem it'll be taken to the dealer pronto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's leather and its comfy. Haven't had my car long enough to tell wear but it seems pretty good so far. The whole car seems to have a great build quality to it so I'm sure they made sure the leather was much the same to match the car feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will never own a non-leather car again if I can help it. Its great that seat warmers are standard too. Leather will last a super long time providing you keep up with simple cleaning and conditioning. Not to mention that when you have leather, you wont get shocked everytime you get out of your car in the winter and shut the door!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am planning on having the leather option as well, it gives the car a great look. The protection plan I was offered, I was told it would cover natural and normal wear and tear. If something would to accidentally happen they said they would cover up to a certain price, cant remember what that was.

Jumper, i would imagine you should take a look at the protection plan and see what it covers, if it is good then the leather option is defiantly the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cloth seats in the SX are wonderful and comfy. Personally, I consider leather protection an unneccesary added fee - practically a scam. Think about those 'extended warranties' sales people push when you buy appliances or electronics. Any financial advisor will tell you that they're a waste of money. I can see why leather would be enticing if you switch up vehicles every couple of years.

If you're a lifer, you should stick with cloth. I was raised to drive cars into their graves... cloth lasts longer. Eventually, the new will wear off and the practicality of normal wear and tear will set in.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,894 Posts
Tall people should sit in both the cloth and leather seats...since headroom is tight for those over 6' in the Koup.

I found that the cloth seats are better than the leather seats -- you sit slightly higher in the leather seats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had leather furniture for years and the most important thing to remember is that leather is skin and it needs to be conditioned at least four times a year, at the beginning of every season. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and then apply conditioner. Wipe again to remove the excess. I'll have to do some research to find out what the best product is for a car because of the temperature extremes but otherwise the four times a year rule should work fine.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Tall people should sit in both the cloth and leather seats...since headroom is tight for those over 6' in the Koup.

I found that the cloth seats are better than the leather seats -- you sit slightly higher in the leather seats.
I went with the leather package. I'm 6'7" and I'm very happy with the leather so far (1 month in). The roof space is a little tight but I knew it would be. This is my first car with leather seating and remote start.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll have to do some research to find out what the best product is for a car because of the temperature extremes but otherwise the four times a year rule should work fine.
I've used Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my Hyundai leather seats for 4 years and they look very good, even the driver's seat. I also use the conditioner on the 'pleather' with good results.

There are other products as well, but Lexol came highly recommended by a number of diferent people so I went with that and have't seen a reason to change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've used Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my Hyundai leather seats for 4 years and they look very good, even the driver's seat. I also use the conditioner on the 'pleather' with good results.

There are other products as well, but Lexol came highly recommended by a number of diferent people so I went with that and have't seen a reason to change.
Thank you, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the leather and it feels more... reliable than the cloth. I checked out the cloth interior of one other Koup and it felt like it would tear easily. Maybe it's just me... but it was also a very firm cushion. The leather is great looking and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts

Is there anything out there that will help retain or give it that leather smell?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.