Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
So a few days ago I just put 18inch wheels on my koup:)
Looks Great Check out pictures *more to come soon*

But too the point...

Reason I changed wheels was my car burned up the stock tires at 14,000 miles.. and living on a mountain road I noticed they had lots of wear on the insides of the tires!
I know kia sets up toe for the car to turn quicker which would make them wear that way BUT,

after putting on my new DWS tires wheels and lowering springs, I noticed the car pulled too the right
So I went too my local tire shop..
*I did not tell him the car pulled to the right and let them put it on the rack*

35 mins latter he comes back with the results,
and says car is most likley pulling too the right,
"Yup I said"
anyway we found both the front and rear toe on the left was out by a few degrees:( I've never hit anything and as I said from the look of the stock tires it makes sence since the left ones wore a bit more then the right side.

I bought eibach camber bolts which we used one of for the front and the guy I've been going too for like 10 plus years said it was going to take shims in the back to fix the camber issues since they don't come with a adjustment *being a soild axle* for lack of a better term. Cost me a hundred bucks:eek:

My question do you guys think I should call kia with this and see if they'll refund me some of the money I spent to fix the alignment or do you think they'll try to blame me since I added the lowering springs?
By the time I fix the back so the tires wont wear out in 10,000 miles its going to be about 250 dollars worth of work.

I just wanted to give a warning to anybody else out there who has not checked the alignment on there fortes yet cause I'm not the only one who's found some faults in this part of the car..

Good news is we did the front and the car pulls only if the road is at a huge angle.. on most roads its better then it was stock :)

Sorry so long of a post just wanted you guys to watch those tires for abnormal wear..

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Mine was out of alignment too from the factory, didn't even install lowering springs and it pulled to the right, only difference is, my front tires wore down at 4500 miles. have to get them rotated.

I took it in, and they fixed they alignment under warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also had alignment problems... Mine never pulled any one direction but the inside edge of the passenger side was so ate up after 20k miles the tire went flat... Never noticed the wear because the dealer never said anything and the part of the tires I could typically see looked fine.... Needless say replaced all 4 tires at my expense and had it alligned I'm watching it like a hawk now! I was very displeased with my dealer on this issue.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, thxs for the post I'll have too check with kia about the rest of this issue and see what happens :)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I too had premature wearing on inside tire! Put my Eibach spring, change crappy Goodyear LS2 and got a good aligment!!
Everything is find on either (winter and summer) tire set!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too had premature wearing on inside tire! Put my Eibach spring, change crappy Goodyear LS2 and got a good aligment!!
Everything is find on either (winter and summer) tire set!

Did you have aligment issue on the rear as well as the front?

Good too hear its all driving smooth now:)

So far Ive done the front aligment and noticed its waaaayyy Better

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys better call KIA

I also had alignment problems... Mine never pulled any one direction but the inside edge of the passenger side was so ate up after 20k miles the tire went flat... Never noticed the wear because the dealer never said anything and the part of the tires I could typically see looked fine.... Needless say replaced all 4 tires at my expense and had it alligned I'm watching it like a hawk now! I was very displeased with my dealer on this issue.

YES! I am having the same issue! Except it's my rear passenger that's severely whacked out. (off by 1.5-2 deg) But my front driver is slightly out of touch but just borderline in range. My stock tires are shot now, I had to buy new tires and pay for the alignment (which I'm disputing because they can't even proper align it due to physical car problems). I JUST hit 20K with my car but replaced the tires 2K ago. Needless to say, I need to take it to a body shop to see if they can align the "sub-frame" if one exists. And if not see if there is something else that can be done. The KIA service center at my local dealer blows and I will never use them again. They are useless. And if KIA doesn't do something because this is clearly a problem...I will escalate it to their regional manager in my area and really cause problems. There is truth in number people, so, if you haven't called KIA already to document the problem then do so now...I did. :mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah my rear alignment was also out by some ridiculous amount... When I complained to the dealer they said it was pretty much my fault and becuase alignment warrenty is only good for the first 10,000 or 15,000 miles I was SOL.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Rainyraven, to answer your question about calling KIA, I say it's worth a try. How is your relationship with the dealer you got it at? If KIA knows that you modified the suspension, they will most likely give you nothing. I think you'll get further with a good dealer, especially if they have a good relationship/standing with KIA. I have a Jeep Wrangler that is heavily modified from engine to suspension for off roading, and any time there are issues, the dealer has honored my warranty on what factory parts are left on the Jeep! Same with my Honda, the dealer replaced my transmission even though I was slightly over the warranty. I had called Honda America and they basically told me "sorry".

I don't know how it is that some dealers are able to do this when others aren't. It's either related to volume of sales or service, or just having good service managers that have good relationships with people at the manufacturer.

Oh and BTW, thanks for the heads up on the alignment. I'll be checking my tires very closely now for the next few thousand miles!

·
Registered
201 Posts
crappy Goodyear LS2
Goodyear tires are known for soft tires that wear out quickly... I was bummed to see that this is what they chose for the SX. I miss the Hankooks that were on my EX!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^
yeah I thought it would be a long shot!

Guess I'll just have to suck it up on this one, and be glad to have it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that sucks dude, i hope they fix this before i get my koup. when i go to get it should i ask them about this issue and say alot of people have the problem? i figure they would just laugh at me and say listen, its a new car. but if its something you all are experiencing i feel like i should bring to their attention that i know there is a potential problem.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that sucks dude, i hope they fix this before i get my koup. when i go to get it should i ask them about this issue and say alot of people have the problem? i figure they would just laugh at me and say listen, its a new car. but if its something you all are experiencing i feel like i should bring to their attention that i know there is a potential problem.
I would have them check it when you buy one, and then take it too big O tires to have them double check there work.. It will cost you nothing to have big O tires put it on the rack and see...

and if there is a problem you could take it back too your local dealer with the print out of the toe/camber read out..

I just chose too have big o fix it for me there because my dealer seems too ignore any warrenty work :( just my two cents!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone, lots of great info on here. I have 28K on my Koup and have always noticed it pulling to one side. The dealer checked it at 10K and said it was within specs.
Just noticed the front drivers side tire going flat. The outside tread looks like brand new and the inside edge has cords showing. I will have my wife at the dealer in the morning crawling some tail. KIA needs to do a recall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even if Kia does nothing...please call them so that the problem is documented. Any time I've called them, they say that they are not aware of this issue with the car. Clearly, they need to be informed of the problem. Again, if you have not called already please do them! The more people that call and document it is more likely that they will take the problem seriously. Happy new year everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well BIG SURPRISE:eek:, No help from KIA. Said they had no reports of problems and it was just my car. But had to many miles for warranty alignment. Took it to private garage to get it fix the right way. Will be on the phone with a regional Kia rep tomorrow and will be calling the National Highway Safety Board. Will never buy from Douglasville KIA again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.